Reconsidering whether I want to be a divemaster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A few thoughts Scuba Nube:

Don't listen to Jim! I've long since tuned him out. He's one of those "one uppers". One of those guys at a party that, no matter what story you're telling, chimes in that they've done it better, or gone higher, or deeper or did it faster. Nobody does things better than Jim!
Of course you're not ready to be a DM, that's why you are taking a course and learning! That's the purpose of taking courses.
If you follow Jim's reasoning, I think he'd kick his kids out of grade school because they didn't know how to do calculus before they got there.

Anyway, don't beat yourself up over this. As a DMC, you are still a student. I always ask students that get frustrated, "how many times have you done this before?" When they answer that it is their first time, I chuckle and say, "and you're not an expert already?" That puts everything back into perspective for them. As an instructor, I would prefer you as a DMC over the hot shot that thinks he knows everything and that there is nothing else to learn. Those are the one's that usually lead the students astray. You've come out of this knowing that there is much to learn.

Low vis is a fact of life diving where we do. But we learn to deal with it. Even Lake Chaparral is under 10 feet. And that's before the students "settle" down on the silty bottom. I've always said that Advanced Classes are the hardest to teach. The first time you teach or help out on one is always an eye opening experience. You go in thinking that since it's an advanced class that the student will know what they are doing, but most of the time they don't. Many times they don't even know how to assemble their gear properly because all they've done is warm water resort diving where the DM put their gear together for them. Now they are dealing with low vis, cold water and a lot more weight, things become very challenging - for both the student and the teaching staff.

You asked why these students would go from open water into an advanced class? Often times around here, that's the best way for them to continue diving. There are no guided dives and they don't feel comfortable enough to just hop into the water with their buddy and go diving. As you pointed out, the conditions here aren't the best. So they take courses so that they can dive under the supervision of an instructor and the watchful eye of a DM. It's a safer way for them to continue something that they are having fun at.

As for the incident that happened 2 years ago, I'll be more than happy to discuss that with you in private since I was there teaching beside the other class. But that is also why I know our DM program works. There were 2 rescues to be made that day, and my DMCs performed flawlessly. They did everything by the book.

My advice to you is to get back into the water. Intern for many different instructors, so that you can see different styles. Be open to learning and critiques (that's why they call them evalutations). Don't be afraid to discuss things with your instructors. At this level, it's a mentorship where open discussion is welcome. I will say it's more appropriate not to do it in front of students or on an internet forum though :)

And since we are at the same shop and know each other T, come out diving with me. Sign up to DMC one of my classes. I'd love to have you along! With your local diving experience, I'm sure we could learn from each other!
-Glen

One final thought: It was pointed out to me many many moons ago that people don't just take classes just to get a job. Some people take classes because they want to gain knowledge about something. Maybe you don't want to be a DM after this, but don't discount the knowledge that you've gained since you started the course. It's yours and you've earned it!

My advice to you is to get back into the water. Intern for many different instructors, so that you can see different styles. Be open to learning and critiques (that's why they call them evalutations). Don't be afraid to discuss things with your instructors. At this level, it's a mentorship where open discussion is welcome. I will say it's more appropriate not to do it in front of students or on an internet forum though :)

And since we are at the same shop and know each other T, come out diving with me. Sign up to DMC one of my classes. I'd love to have you along! With your local diving experience, I'm sure we could learn from each other!

Scuba Nube,

For heavens sake, take Glen up on his offer! Having seen him in action, you cannot go wrong.

Bill

Im always watching gearhound as well!!! :wink:

I would definitely take him up on his offer Scuba Nube, he is definitely one of those instructors/divers that can and will help build your confidence in your skills!!

Back
Top Bottom