Reconsidering whether I want to be a divemaster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba nube

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This past weekend I was assisting an advanced class, one of the last requirement to complete my DM internship. This was an altitude dive at an event with many divers participating, along with classes, so the visibility was lousy. We were doing the deep dive with a class of 5 students all in drysuits, many also completing their drysuit cert for the first time. There were two instructors with powerful lights and me as the DM who was buddied with the odd man. Descending the line there was a group doing a safety stop which was disorienting for the students. When we gathered at the bottom vis was maybe 10 feet. We proceeded along the top of a dam and at some point the group got separated. So myself, my buddy and one other guy followed one of the instructors over the edge of the dam and down. This was part of the dive plan. However, what wasn't part of the plan or known to me was the visibility was going to go from 5ft to 0. It went pitch black. I grabbed my buddy and I could feel him but couldn't see him at all. He also started pulling me down. Went from 72 feet to 86 feet in less than a minute with me inflating my BCD like crazy to stop us falling. After what seemed like an eternity but was only two minutes, according to my profile, the light from the instructor, who was on the other side of my buddy showed us a rock wall which we grabbed. I could feel myself starting to ascend quickly so I deflated my BCD and then we proceeded back up the wall to the top of the dam. The idea of going down was to do the skills but instructor decided to do them on top of the dam. At that point my buddy has 700 PSI. Did the skills and found our way to the ascent line and went up. There was stage bottle hanging in front of us at the 15 ft mark. At this point my buddy either indicated, or I checked but either way determined he had 50 PSI left. This is where I made a bad mistake. Instead of offering my alternate I indicated he should use the stage bottle. I had 500 PSI left and we still had 2 mins left on our safety stop. I didn't realize stage bottle are left off. Purged it and some air came out so buddy grabbed it , took two breaths, indicated he wasn't getting any air and at that point I offered him my alternate. Other instructor had been observing and offered him their long hose. Reasoning being he wanted him to be further away in case of a panicked diver situation.
So we finished stop and all went up together. At this point I am shaking but ok and after surface interval we do last two shallow dives to complete their skills.
So why am I reconsidering?
Who the hell looks out for the DM? Why are they doing advanced courses for people in such lousy conditions? why can you go straight from open water cert to advanced as these students did? Why did the instructor decide to go into the pitch black? Was my life in danger? For what? This was NO FUN! Should I mention that last summer and the summer before a student died doing an advanced class? Not with this shop but still was in the back of my mind, especially as I feel myself getting dragged down in the pitch black. Thoughts?

You are not ready to be a DM. At this level why do you need looking after? You should be aware of the need for your own redundant air supply, have your own suitable lights, be prepared to handle low to zero vis, and your responses to an OOA or low on air student should be instinctual. This part of the reason I feel that DM classea should not be sold. DM's should be selected based on their already exemplary skills, knowldege, and decision making. Battery dying now more in a few hours

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Thoughts? Yup....several. First, it sounds like you kept your head even though you were scared. And you got the diver up. So kudos to you for that.

Second, there are some things that I question.
1. You knew he was at 700 and yet he still went to work on skills. Why did you not call the dive? I know these were certified divers and responsible for monitoring their own air. But as a DM, when I see a student in that situation, I let the instructor know the student is low and we're going up. The reason....because otherwise I'm going to check and see they have 50 PSI left. They're obviously burning through gas so it's time to go. I've done this more than once and never had an instructor question me about it.

2. When you got to the safety stop, you were at 500. Did you plan the amount of gas needed to safely do this dive BEFORE the dive? As a DM, I'm not only thinking of the amount of gas I need for my buddy AND I to finish the dive off of my tank, but also how much extra do I think I might need in case something awful happens and I have to do a search for a student.

And finally, to answer your question, "Who looks after the DM?" When I'm DMing, there are three people who do this. Me, myself, and I. Just the way it is. Therefore whatever dive I'm on has to be one where I feel completely confident in myself to get myself out of any unexpected situation.

Hope this is helpful. Don't beat yourself up too much. You're asking good questions and reflecting on how to do this better, which is great. And, as much as I enjoy being a DM, it's not for everyone. That's for you to decide.

Outside of the dry suits, it sounds like you were diving at a local lake in AZ.

Sounds like you were a bit panicked. As Jim said, you are probably not ready to become a DM. You are there to help look after students. The instructor should not need to look after you.

Scott

Yes, what these seasoned pros say all makes sense to me. I thank you for the thread, as it made me think what I would have done, being new at this myself. Right now I am only into assisting with OW classes. Our checkout sites would probably never produce your scenario. Even our charter dives would probably never be 0-5 viz. Sounds like if you proceed to get your DM a lot of practise in your conditions and thinking about problems there would be a big help.

The instructor knew he had 700 and was still conducting the skills. So how am I going to call a dive at this point?

The instructor knew he had 700 and was still conducting the skills. So how am I going to call a dive at this point?

Well....let me just say how I would have handled this. Having the instructor's attention, I would point to the student, signal low on air. Signal that he and I are going up. Wave bye bye and up we go. IF afterwards the instructor had an issue with that, we would go somewhere out of earshot of the students and discuss it. Depending on how things went, we'd go on to have a great relationship OR I'm not working with that instructor again.

I'm blessed to work with some instructors that I trust completely but also trust my judgement for students safety as well.

Certainly doesn't sound like a fun experience; however, being an active DM means you will encounter such situations from time to time. A good DM should be prepared for every eventuality. I personally would have recommended you carry an independent air source for such a profile. As the DM you are solely responsible for your own safety in addition to that of your students In answer to your question: You alone are really the only one that can look out for your safety.

The conditions at the Dam are crap this year as a result of the high runoff. Even thought the visibility has improved, the amount of silt on the bottom has dramatically increased. This will be the situation for a very long time. Visibility going to zero in an instant is something you have to learn to anticipate and to deal with out here.

As a DM, you are going to be "stuck" in situation where you are the one to make the decisions and carry them out. In most cases, you are dealing with, or looking after, someone with significantly less experience than you. In effect, you are alone.

Reallydg hit it right on - you make the call and take them up. The skills can be done another time.

Was there a reason to do the Safety Stop given the situation with the air? It is not mandatory.

As a DMC and then a DM, I aways carried either a Pony on my tank or slung a 40cf when we did any deep dives on the Dam.

No I guess we could have gone straight up. The only comment after from the instructor was 500 PSI was loads to share air and do a safety stop. I have never been in pitch black before, or felt someone dragging me down. It was very unpleasant. My original question has been answered though, thanks for everyones input.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom