Recommended Courses for Introductory Tech

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is a tec course so should be on twin set. But I could be wrong because I am NOT PSAI trained.
60m is Level V so pretty advanced as well.

Well yes, I know what it should be. That's why I commented. Because it was posted as a PSAI narcosis management course dive.
I count to one real good. And that was one tank. I'll see if I can find it when I'm by a computer and post it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Well yes, I know what it should be. That's why I commented. Because it was posted as a PSAI narcosis management course dive.
I count to one real good. And that was one tank. I'll see if I can find it when I'm by a computer and post it.
There is nothing on PSAI web to indicate what kind of equipment is required for Level V training.
I totally agreed with your statment on using a single tank to 60m ie. BAD idea.

Thank you very much for the welcome, and for offering to share your resources. After all the advice given (yours included), I will be putting the courses on hold for a bit and getting some "real" dives in. I just purchased some quality gear, and since I live in Hawaii I will be going out often.

---------- Post added December 18th, 2013 at 06:07 PM ----------

I think you summed up what I would like to do very nicely here: develop a technical-level quality of skill. I do enjoy working hard to perfect my skills.

As a martial artist, I can very much appreciate this. Excellent advice!

I have checked out the links you posted and will be sure to spend some time reading the articles. The books you recommended are on their way to me.

i think that's a sensible approach

You've got to be kidding me!!.......what's next "Water Diver" specialty!!? I know it's the instructor that matters, but I dropped Padi after my Advanced, saw too many really dumb things going on and my experience dives for the Advanced were seriously NOT advanced, was a joke....

I just don't see why some people are so incredulous about this.

Not many people get lucky and are taught DSMB in their entry-level training. In a specific area (the UK), it is deemed that DSMB use is quite critical. PADI provided a template for instructors to rectify and identified training deficit. It was/is a 1-day/2-dive course... hardly a 'bank breaker'...

That's been/being rectified in broader terms now, by the inclusion of DSMB/Sausage skills as a formal component in the updated (2014) Open Water course.

Do people disagree that DSMB use should be taught?

Or is it a case that some people feel that DSMB is so straight-forward to use that it doesn't need any instruction whatsoever? If so, why do accident statistics (BSAC Annual Reports) point to DSMB use as a disproportionate contributor to DCS cases?

...and why do 'premium' agencies like GUE include DSMB use as a component in their 'fundamentals' training? Knock DSMB out of the fundies syllabus and you'd save enough time/dives to equal the cost of doing the PADI course... so what's the objection about really?

(and yes, I am defending PADI...)

Or is it a case that some people feel that DSMB is so straight-forward to use that it doesn't need any instruction whatsoever? If so, why do accident statistics (BSAC Annual Reports) point to DSMB use as a disproportionate contributor to DCS cases?

...and why do 'premium' agencies like GUE include DSMB use as a component in their 'fundamentals' training? Knock DSMB out of the fundies syllabus and you'd save enough time/dives to equal the cost of doing the PADI course... so what's the objection about really?

Just for clarity BSAC include DSMB training within the core syllabus for Sports Diver and Dive Leader grades.

Just for clarity BSAC include DSMB training within the core syllabus for Sports Diver and Dive Leader grades.

As should be the case, for a UK-centric course.

At the time, PADI didn't include DSMB in any course syllabus prior to technical-level training, there's has to be a globally relevant course. DSMB was an 'add-on' for specific areas that needed it (primarily the UK), although I expect many instructors taught it nonetheless at OW/AOW levels there. I'm glad to see that the latest updates to the PADI OW course now recognize DSMB as a globally relevant skill (not so much the 'safety sausage at the surface' option, but that's the prevailing method in some global locations, so I guess it fits....)

What is a DSMB course (Delayed Surface Marker Buoy course!?)

apparently you are too old to keep up with the modern lingo in diving....

DSMD : (Dumping a Sheet-load of Money Boy) - course

Because the idea of a separate class for deploying a DSMB is ludicrous. It's like having an entirely separate card for putting weight on your belt.

While an important and useful skill, it is just not something that should reasonably be expected to require an entire class.

Because the idea of a separate class for deploying a DSMB is ludicrous. It's like having an entirely separate card for putting weight on your belt.

While an important and useful skill, it is just not something that should reasonably be expected to require an entire class.

maybe other skills should be incorporated to the class, such as how to blow a whistle :)

Not many people get lucky and are taught DSMB in their entry-level training. In a specific area (the UK), it is deemed that DSMB use is quite critical. PADI provided a template for instructors to rectify and identified training deficit. It was/is a 1-day/2-dive course... hardly a 'bank breaker'...

That's been/being rectified in broader terms now, by the inclusion of DSMB/Sausage skills as a formal component in the updated (2014) Open Water course.

Do people disagree that DSMB use should be taught?

I wasn't going to bring this up because it was off-topic, but I see now that the whole thread is off-topic anyway... That being said, the following has nothing at all to do with tech diving:

As of right now, I am clearly not a tech diver, am only certified to 130 feet, and still dive according to recreational standards. I enjoy doing this recreational diving with my 14 y/o, and when I do so we are limited to less than 60 feet because of her age. In the areas where I can dive with her, there tends to be a lot of boat traffic and a DSMB could potentially be a very useful tool. I should also mention that she only weighs 90 pounds, so it's not hard for her to get pulled to the surface in a big hurry if she has something that is positively buoyant attached to her. All of that being said, I want her to be a responsible, safe, self-reliant diver, and I want her to be able to use signaling devices properly should she need help, but without becoming tangled in a line, losing control of her buoyancy, or getting a finger ripped off. I specifically asked my instructor to make us both well-versed in safety-related procedures, so the DSMB instruction is within the context of a much bigger safety curriculum covering everything from EFR and Emer. O2 to DEMP and Dive Medicine.

As I'm sure many people on here understand, I can't stand the thought of anything happening to my girl and will happily fork over additional money if it's going to help keep her safe. My instructor understands my concerns about her safety: he combined the classes to cut down on costs, gave all the materials he could for free, and worked with us on his time off so that he could give all of his attention to just the two of us - without ever asking for any additional pay. Furthermore, he said that we could have a refresher anything covered at any time for free. Even if we were paying full price for a two-dive DSMB course, my instructor already gave us 15% off both our OW and AOW certs, so the money saved from those two courses would be enough to cover the DSMB course - essentially making the DSMB instruction a part of our core instruction, if you choose to look at it that way. We have also been taken out on a boat charter to do dives for free in the past, always get Nitrox upgrades for free, and get anywhere from 20% to 50% off any equipment we buy (if we want something and the shop doesn't have it, it is ordered and we get it for the same price that we would have had to pay if we purchased it on the internet). Recommended materials, tools, spare parts, etc. have been given to us for free several times in the past.

As Andy mentioned, "accident statistics (BSAC Annual Reports) point to DSMB use as a disproportionate contributor to DCS cases." This is something we became aware of a while ago when I asked about taking the Search and Recovery course and was told that we would need to go about it carefully. It came up again when we were discussing DSMB use, along with other safety concerns associated with improperly shooting a buoy.

I apologize for both being off-topic and for not clarifying this earlier - had I known it would cause so much frustration I would have never mentioned it. Lesson learned - I will be aware of this sort of thing in future posts and choose my words more carefully. Please know that I am saying this sincerely; I'm not being sarcastic and I'm not faulting anyone except myself. I mentioned the DSMB is my original post to underscore the emphasis on safety, however it was written in an unclear manner and I am the one responsible for not making it clear. Again, I apologize for causing frustation and an argument.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom