Recommendations to Dive in NC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like Gyselle, I'm looking for suggestions for diving SC/NC. I'll be there Easter week. I'm coming down from the cold and frozen north (Jersey coast) and looking forward to water above 40 degrees. :eek:

On Bradford's recommendation I just sent an e-mail to Aquatic Safaris for their boat dive on the 19th to Hyde/Markham. Can someone fill me in on the history of these wrecks in particular or Aquatic Safaris in general.

I am also looking for ideas for the 17th and 18th. Calabash is located half way between Wilmington, NC and Myrtle Beach, SC. Any good beach dives, night dives or boat dives I could do on Thursday or Friday in that area? Anybody free to show me the local dive spots?

I've heard a lot about your wrecks down there so I'm looking forward to seeing them myself.

Thanks in advance,

Gyselle:
In RDU area, there are 4 shops I can think of off the top of my head. I usually go to Down Under in Raleigh, www.downunderscuba.com, because they're nice folks and closest to my house. Gypsy Divers in Raleigh and Water World in Durham are also great shops; haven't done much business with Bill's Scuba in N. Raleigh but I hear they're good people too. I know Down Under is running a coast trip in May, check their website for info. Easier than calling operators yourself.

Rookman:
whew, left it a little late, didn't ya : ). Um...(OPINION ALERT) I'd have to say skip the Hyde/Markham unless you can't get to another wreck, they're ok, but not special - artificial reefs in about 60-80 fsw. Some great wrecks off Carolina Beach if you can find someone to take you. If it's not too far for you, head north to Morehead; I know it's farther but it's worth the drive. Get out with Olympus, or Discovery Diving, or Diver Down, or one of the other great operators up that way, don't get paired up with a fellow Jersey diver unless you LIKE all that hammering : )(just kidding, sorry) and see some of the wrecks that make the NC coast justly famous.

Here's another link with good charter info, though sometimes out of date. For those closer to Calabash, look at Wilmington and Southport:
http://home.nc.rr.com/zimmy/scuba/ncwrecks.html

Thanks for the info tg and Lead. Yes I did leave it to the last minute but that's when I found out I was going.

I'll do some more homework quick and finalize my plans. Aquatic Safaris did get back to me today and let me know that they have room on the 19th for the Hyde/Markham trip. They also have Nitrox AL 100s available for the day, so if I can't find anything better I can do that.

How long does it take to get to Morehead? What are the absolutely MUST see dives. This is only my first trip to the area, there will be others so I will try to plan ahead for those trips.

Is it true that I can REALLY leave my drysuit home? :D

Ernie, check out the NDI Club Locations->NC Wreck Diving section of this board; somebody posted openings on a charter out of Southport next weekend.

If you are refering to the one I posted, it's May 17-18, not April.

On the other hand, Scuba South, the dive op may have some open spots open in April, worth calling and asking.

TheRookMan once bubbled...

How long does it take to get to Morehead? What are the absolutely MUST see dives. This is only my first trip to the area, there will be others so I will try to plan ahead for those trips.

Is it true that I can REALLY leave my drysuit home? :D
If there is a charter going out of Morehead a must see is the U352, what's left of it, if you have the experience. It is about 120 and you never know about the current and vis.

As far as the dry suit. That's a matter of personal preference. I've never done anything except a 3mm but I don't mind water a little cooler that some. Water temp probably won't be up past low 70's in the gulf stream.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom