Recommendations on gas furnaces

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Montreal cold is very, very cold. Was this the company?

Viessmann - Comprehensive product range of heating systems ? oil ? gas ? wood ? solar ? heat pumps

Looks like fancy stuff. Gosh, some of these things look like rebreathers. :)

X

Yes, exactly. We have one where I work. It has a very neat feature, it generates it's own electricity to operate in case of a power failure. It's a water system, the water get's hot and circulates by gravity. I don't know about an air system, the blower would not work??

Heat pumps are not recommended in New England. When it gets really cold (below freezing), they switch to electric heating elements. That can happen a lot in MA.
Same here.
If you are considering or have central air and plan on replacing it at the same time seriously look at a dual fuel system. It combines a heat pump and your furnace to heat your home.
When the outside temperature is above around 40 degrees it uses the heat pump to heat the house. When temps drop below the thermostat switches to gas. No electric heat elements. You may spend about $200-300 more for this option but it is typically paid back in 2-3 years.

Another questions to ask your contractor is what incentive are available from them or the utilities. Many gas companies give rebates for high efficiency furnaces >85% AFUE and electrical companies will have incentives for higher efficiency central air > 16 SEER. Both may have incentives if you install a Energy Star rated thermostat.

How a heat pump works in simple terms. A heat pump doesn’t use up fuel making heat, it just moves it. In the summer it moves heat from the inside to the outside of your home via refrigerant, just like a standard central air conditioning system. In the winter, it works like an air conditioner in reverse — taking heat from the outdoor air and moving it inside.

another (oddball) data point

I live in a house in western san francisco, and have a furnace that was locally built in 1938...
Its a gravity heat system (no fan) and gets serviced every 10 years whether it needs it or not.
My gas bills (for furnace and water heater) are about the same as my neighbors with more modern systems.

another (oddball) data point

I live in a house in western san francisco, and have a furnace that was locally built in 1938...
Its a gravity heat system (no fan) and gets serviced every 10 years whether it needs it or not.
My gas bills (for furnace and water heater) are about the same as my neighbors with more modern systems.

When I was a poor college graduate I lived in a house with a ghost. :) I don't recall much of a heating system other than a gas boiler that provided radiant heat. What I liked about San Francisco is that it never got that cold, or that hot. My property in the NE is exposed to a lot of cold...almost like Southern Maine, but less than Canada and the Thousand Islands in upstate NY.

Cheers,

X

The latest with furnaces. I'll be installing a Lennox Signature series gas furnace with variable capacity and dual fuel capability should I ever need it. It has an efficiency rating exceeding 98%.
SLP98V Furnace | Gas Furnaces | Home Furnace | Residential Furnace | Lennox Residential
Costs a pretty penny- but at the end of the day I can sleep better knowing that it isn't emitting noxious gases into my attic suffocating every squirrel that tried to make a home there! Or guests.

Cheers,

X

Thank you for the follow-up, good luck with your purchase, it looks very efficient and "green".

The phrase that comes to mind is: snug like a bug in a rug. :cool2:

IF you can afford it I would get a 90% two-stage variable speed furnace. Saves fuel and you don't get the cold blast of air on start up.

I'll 2nd the two stage burner and 90% at least.

I got the two stage burner and that helps with the gas bill. It was before gas prices went up so I didn't get the 90% effecient one. I with I had now.

I almost got the variable speed but was getting hit for $1500 daily on rebuilt stuff. so had to hold back.

If I had to do again, I'd get the "dual fuel" with gas furance and heat pump combo.

I bought a Trane and would buy it again. Been very happy with it.

Correction. The one I had the problems with a Rheem, NOT a Trane. (Thanks R0gue for jarring my memory.) My bad! :dork2: I guess I've never dealt with a Trane.

you always get 'reemed' with a Rheem..... a saying I've heard a LOT.

If you need A/C in the summer have you considered a heat pump system? You might also be able to just repair the one you got for another year or so. Pretty simple system. Can't recommend anything as I know nothing about current heater systems on the market.

Heat Pumps just don't work well up north where the original poster is from. Costs way to much to run with heat strips when it gets really cold.

The latest with furnaces. I'll be installing a Lennox Signature series gas furnace with variable capacity and dual fuel capability should I ever need it. It has an efficiency rating exceeding 98%.
SLP98V Furnace | Gas Furnaces | Home Furnace | Residential Furnace | Lennox Residential
Costs a pretty penny- but at the end of the day I can sleep better knowing that it isn't emitting noxious gases into my attic suffocating every squirrel that tried to make a home there! Or guests.
\

wow...98%. I didn't know they made them that effecidient. :thumb:

Hi Belmont and Mike,

Thanks. I do hope we'll be snug as a bug:D and I do like the getting "rheemed" term. From the long list of things gone funny with Rheem and York modulating furnaces I'm looking to see how Lennox does. As per 98 % - I really do wonder how anything is that efficient? :cool2: However, I'll take it as Uncle Sam is happy to give me back some 1500.00 on installation, as well as Mass Saves program which gives me back some $650.00!!! :D

Residential High-Efficiency Heating Equipment Rebate Program

Cheers fellas!

X

Sure makes me glad I don't need to fire up the gas furnace to heat my house... there are advantages to living in SoCal.

Back
Top Bottom