Recommendations on gas furnaces

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr.X

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Ok. The historic home I bought needs yet another wallet drainer - a new gas fired furnace. Every moment I blink with this home/dive shack it's another ten grand here, or there.

I've replaced a slate roof, a decrepit gas boiler, added some Rinnai gas heaters and now the Carrier system is on the kaput. Or near kaput. Seems it was pumping out more CO than heat. Luckily I had the good sense to open a window other wise I would have been X'd out!!!

Any thoughts on gas-fired furnaces? I've been quoted for Lennox systems. Will probably get quotes on American Standard too. Any experience with Trane, or similar systems?

Thanks in advance and I've got roughly 3000 sq. ft to heat up.

Cheers,

X

Had a Lennox. Worked great.
In another house, installed a new Trane. Had nothing but trouble. Owned the house for five years. Had service calls every year. Of course, it could have been just that particular furnace rather than the company as a whole. Just my experience.
Current house has a "Goodman" furnace. Four years so far - no problems.

Spent 15 years in the HVAC business. Lennox is good as is Carrier or BDP. Carrier owns Bryant Day&Night and Payne, at least they used to. American Standard has made a strong come back with good products. Never dealt with Trane residential systems and never cared for Goodman or Rheem.
Like anything else there are in inexpensive models on all brands, Compare apples to apples.
IF you can afford it I would get a 90% two-stage variable speed furnace. Saves fuel and you don't get the cold blast of air on start up.

Correction. The one I had the problems with a Rheem, NOT a Trane. (Thanks R0gue for jarring my memory.) My bad! :dork2: I guess I've never dealt with a Trane.

If you need A/C in the summer have you considered a heat pump system? You might also be able to just repair the one you got for another year or so. Pretty simple system. Can't recommend anything as I know nothing about current heater systems on the market.

If you need A/C in the summer have you considered a heat pump system? You might also be able to just repair the one you got for another year or so. Pretty simple system. Can't recommend anything as I know nothing about current heater systems on the market.

The home is located in a terrific part of the North Shore in Ma which does not get really hot during the summer. At most it's really humid and uncomfortable for a few days but I have ceiling fans and can install zone AC for that. I'll have to look at heat pumps because I have no idea what they are.

Cheers,

X

Heat pumps are not recommended in New England. When it gets really cold (below freezing), they switch to electric heating elements. That can happen a lot in MA.

Believe it or not, you can order and install your own furnace via the internet. It takes about a week for it to arrive via truck. I did it last September for my house in NH, it saved me close to 50% over the lowest of 3 bid with the local heating contractors. A replacement install is not very difficult, but its a full day job. Before anyone gets their panties in a twist, I paid a professional to inspect and adjust the system before I fired it up.

Heat pumps are not recommended in New England. When it gets really cold (below freezing), they switch to electric heating elements. That can happen a lot in MA.

Believe it or not, you can order and install your own furnace via the internet. It takes about a week for it to arrive via truck. I did it last September for my house in NH, it saved me close to 50% over the lowest of 3 bid with the local heating contractors. A replacement install is not very difficult, but its a full day job. Before anyone gets their panties in a twist, I paid a professional to inspect and adjust the system before I fired it up.

Hmmmm. Got me thinking...National Grid services my area?

Thanks.

X

We had a Lennox installed in 1982. Worked flawlessly until last year. That's twenty-two years with the only repair ever needed was to replace the thermostat in 1998.

Had a RUUD (RHEEM) heat pump. It was a piece of crap.

I remember the first year they sent a guy from Alabama all the way to Montreal to check on the problems customers had.

The day he came to my house the weather was 5 below (Farenheit). He fiddled with the machine outside in a raincoat and shoes. He certainly learned the meaning of the word freeze. :rofl3:

For your question: I saw on "This Old House" a very efficient gaz fired furnace made in Germany.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom