Carbon Monoxide tank risks and protections….

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tamas I can see your engineering background coming through here, but you are attempting to put the horse back in the barn with the personal filter idea when the CO door needs to be kept shut in the first place.

A couple points. 3M the large Minnesota company has already manufactured nano-based gold CO oxidcation catalysts for CBRN respirator cartridges. The problem is cost.

Both myself and DandyDon have purchased the Personal CO monitor and I do not recommend it. First off it is not waterproof and so even a slight salt spray on a boat will kill the device. The battery compartment and circuit board are wide open to the elements. Secondly it has very poor battery life and I found a month of heavy use was all you'd get. Thirdly taking a reading was a 3 minute affair with plastic zip bag and all. And lastly if one purchased the calibration kit and calibrated at the frequency indicated the cost was the same as an Analox EII CO analyzer, a far superior diver-dedicated analyzer.

There were a lot of other more complex problems such as the sensor was unfiltered and cross-reacted to everything in the environment from methanol windshield washer fumes, Sharpie marker fumes, nitric oxide during the summer in traffic, etc. Also the accuracy and precision of the analzyer was suspect in very high humidity and high temperature environments where we often like to dive.

It is a great little unit though to put on one's key chain to use at 1 atm but not a great unit for diving.

In an ideal world we should be able to prevent CO from ever getting into a diver's fill by using the following lines of defense.

Primary

1. Compressor inlet placement: keep away from all potential sources of CO such as vehicular traffic, boat exhaust, etc.
2. Compressor installation: since the most common source of CO is an overheated compressor dieseling the compressor oil, one needs to have a large air space around the compressor to prevent overheating and if necessary add mechanical ventilation. Once you examine enough compressor installs around the planet you'll see poor installations are the number one problem for CO production. Compressors if hot enough will auto-ignite the lubrication oil.
3.Oil Choice: use only a high quality compressor and oil manufacturer approved "synthetic" lube oil with high flash point. Change the oil out at compressor manufacturer recommended intervals which are even shorter if pumping nitrox.

Secondary

1. Catalyst bed: all purifiers should have a catalyst bed within. Most of the CO contamination found is coming from electrically-driven compressors so having a CO catalyst bed (Carulite, Hopcalite, Monoxycon, etc.) bed in these compressor purifiers is just as important as on the gas-engine driven compressors

Tertiary

1. Compressor CO Monitor:
these are now available from Analox and other manufacturers for a reasonable price (~$1000) with the needed accuracy and MDL for compressed breathing air applications. Here in Canada all commercial dive operations and fire halls must now have a CO monitor on their compressors.

2. Diver portable CO analyzer
: since the vast majority of dive compressors are poorly installed and maintained with no inline CO monitor it is incumbent on the diver to carry some sort of self-protection device, however if the simple primary preventative measures above were undertaken such a device might not be required.

A personal filter is not going to offer much protection as the catalyst bed could be easily over-whelmed with large CO concentrations or inactivated by excessive moisture when using one of the older Cu, Mn oxide catalysts. Bed volume size and dwell time may also be an issue.:wink:

Is the Pocket CO 300 offered over there? You can start with that, then end up buying the Analox unit too, like I did. :silly:

Technology is a wonderful thing. :wink:

It is, definitely:) I see in the future tank valves or reg 1st stages equipped with charcoal (nasty stuff absorption)+nano-gold(CO, CHx oxidation) filters.

Tamas I can see your engineering background coming through here, but you are attempting to put the horse back in the barn with the personal filter idea when the CO door needs to be kept shut in the first place.

True. Its rather a third than second line of defense. Just in case, if something comes trough from a perfectly maintained compressor & the personal CO monitor gives false reading (e.g. 2ppm instead of 7). Besides, nano-gold takes care of hydrocarbon residues as well - these can be carcinogenic (e.g. benzene from boat exhaust).

As for cost: Given a proper mass-production setup, the costs can be really low, not surprised, that the tobacco industry already jumped on it:
Philip Morris patent on Au/TiO2 catalyst filter for cigarettes.

If this gets to market, we will have a relatively cheap source for a reliable de-CO catalyst.

For the points of protections you mentioned: I agree with your priorization, If I ever buy my own compressor I'll take the same precautions. The problem comes when you don't know, where the gas is from (if you insist, the dive master shows the "clean air certificate" of padi, which doesn't mean anything). Anyway, one needs a personal CO detector and/or a reliable personal filter. At this moment we have one reliable and easy to use CO detector (analox) and a price-ease-of-use compromise candidate (Pocket CO 300S).

Just out of curiosity, besides Cozumel and the Maldives are there any "hot places", where CO poisonings/high readings were reported? How about the rest of the Caribbean? (Netherlands Antilles, Martinique, etc.)

Last edited:
If you go with the cheaper Pocket CO unit, I really wouldn't bother with the scuba unit. I hate the bag furnished, and I bypass the 3 minute auto cut-off anyway. When I used it, I'd drop it in a one gallon ziplock, turn on, partially fill, then lay the bag down while I worked with my other gear - then come back to it in 3 or more minutes to read.

Well, I'd keep it in the bag from the time I left my room until I got back, but then it was in a bag when I clumsily shot the bag overboard filling too fast, drowning it before I retrieved. :(
Just out of curiosity, besides Cozumel and the Maldives are there any "hot places", where CO poisonings/high readings were reported? How about the rest of the Caribbean? (Netherlands Antilles, Martinique, etc.)
I think there is some more risk in the warmer climates where compressors are more likely to run hot, but I'd test my tanks in Canada and Seattle as well.

Here in the USA :shocked2:

Having been on a liveaboard where half the divers got sick, I have seen CO poisoning first hand and it is a serious problem that could easily kill someone. We had divers puking, and many others with severe headaches. That is way to close to the edge for comfort. Fortunately no one died, the boat owner rebuilt his compressors, and added CO analyzers.

We have also been part of a compressor failure in Roatan. Some folks were complaining of tasting oil. We were diving Nitrox and didn't notice for whatever reason. Whether there was CO or not we do not know as no one had a CO analyzer. My friend and I were discussing CO yesterday and he well remembered the incident as we were on the trip together. He takes the Nuvair CO meter whenever traveling now.

I seem to remember somewhere at a quarry in the USA there was an issue with the compressor and bad air. Not going to search it out and nor am I going to post where I think it was, but someone with more information please feel free to step up.

I think there is some more risk in the warmer climates where compressors are more likely to run hot, but I'd test my tanks in Canada and Seattle as well.

The risk is certainly higher in any geographic area with high ambient temperatures where the compressor is located outdoors.

Also given the state of the global economy one often finds that it is the compressor maintenance which is cut first in many tropical dive areas if funds are tight. Last year I saw one Caribbean dive shop which had bypassed their Securus filter moisture monitoring system as they could no longer afford the Bauer OEM filters. They had no idea what the processing capacity was and typically just waited for clients to complain of an oily taste in the air before changing the cartridges out.

I am aware of three fatalities from CO poisoning in Roatan, Honduras and each winter receive first hand accounts of CO-contaminated air from friends who spend the winter there or travel there for a week of diving. Here is a photo of a problematic island compressor.

That being said the Canadian compressed breathing air laboratories do still see CO contamination from local dive shops but the frequency is lower than the rate reported from labs receiving dive air samples from offshore tropical dive shops/resorts.

My policy is to check each and every tank for CO content before diving regardless of location.

Attachments

• DSCN0090.jpg
    DSCN0090.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 281

There was one strongly suspected CO poisoning death in Cuba last June as well as 1 death and 2 illnesses in Mexico last February. A couple of deaths in Cozumel/Playa del Carmen area in the last few years as well as 6 suspected CO poisoning illnesses in Cozumel. 1 death and many illnesses in the Maldives. 1 in Australia. 2 deaths in Roatan, Honduras... There are many other suspected cases in these forums...

Thanks for the "list" Ayisha! Seeing the pic posted by swamp diver, I am not much surprised on the central american ones.

There was one strongly suspected CO poisoning death in Cuba last June as well as 1 death and 2 illnesses in Mexico last February. A couple of deaths in Cozumel/Playa del Carmen area in the last few years as well as 6 suspected CO poisoning illnesses in Cozumel. 1 death and many illnesses in the Maldives. 1 in Australia. 2 deaths in Roatan, Honduras... There are many other suspected cases in these forums...

#Swamp diver: my god, I wouldn't make air for pigs with that device... Even if you have a good CO burning catalyst and a fresh charcoal bed (you have a nice reading on your Analox), I just wonder what else comes through that rusting oily wreck?? Dioxines, and all kinds of high-carcinogenes (1-2 ppb gets you a nice lung cancer in a few years) arising from the lubricant...

I just wonder, how much investment did the owners put in that establishment? (entire "dive center") 10k$?

Anyway, back to the topic, as a new diver I am shocked by the reality and will definitely buy a CO detector even though its just the top of the iceberg...

Tamas that 'device' is at the heart of a top-rated PADI 5 star dive center which goes to show you don't put too much faith in that proprietary rating system. And yes when those very tiny purifier activated charcoal beds become hydrocarbon-saturated and then are heated up with excessive moisture due to a bad install they will re-release their stored BTEX and PAHs from the mineral lube oil back into the breathing air. Think of purge and trap with thermal desorption. BTEX is very narcotic underwater. The best detector for those short-chain narcotic hydrocarbons is your young nose which is free to use!

But back to the topic at hand. I have found you a possible solution and hope you could be the first to review this CO analyzer from Italy. Here is a description from a shop in Switzerland and the price is approximately 278 EURO. It is an interesting device from an engineering design standpoint because it apparently makes use of a new technology where the device either produces a known quantity of reference gas for calibration or a known amount comes contained in a sealed reference cell within the sensor.

So the device does not require calibration which is a big positive, however the downside is I expect the sensor is expensive to replace and I know from personal experience after using several of their other analyzers (for other contaminants) that the power consumption for these sensors is massive which is the big negative. You'll need to take a half dozen 9 volt cells with you on a ten day dive vacation I suspect.
CO Messgerät
OE-OX® Schnell-Analyse Geräte - Deutsche Unterwasser AG

You can email the owner Eugenio if you have any questions.
DE-OX® SAFE: carbon monoxide analyzer - Temc

Back
Top Bottom