Recommendations on dive resorts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mostly dive the Caribbean, (Belize, Caymans, Cozumel) Looking for a "new place".

Spent a very enjoyable week on Lighthouse Reef, Belize this yr. 3 dives a day, back after every dive and we had meals together before I'd go off diving again. Island had some nice beaches, was very remote, and not a lot of people. Looking for something similar, any suggestions?

Roatan is nice, but perhaps a little too big for us, (looking for a much quieter place). When we were there the dive shops were doing the back to the shop after every dive. At the time I didn't like it because it stretched the day out too long, (couldn't do much else).

So Hurracan Dive Lodge coming back after every dive was fine, but a Roatan op, doing so stretched the day out too long? Was Hurracan making shorter boat trips or what? And are you wanting 3 dives/day, or 2 and done by noon?

Really looking for a small place that caters to divers, Perhaps one, if not the only resort on the island. This yr we had stayed at Huracan Dive Lodge on Lighthouse Reef. Diving was good, staff excellent, food and atmosphere 5 stars, but the lodge is built away from the beach, (as a hurricane shelter), so you don't see the water from your room. But very small, only 5 rooms. There was another resort on the island, and they were oceanfront. This is what I'm looking for, just don't want to go back to the same place so soon. Plus we've been in Belize 3 of the past 5 yrs.

The more small & remote you get, the less non-diving options (at least those requiring tools of civilization) are available. While sitting around in a lounge chair or hammock reading a book and walking up & down a sandy beach might kill most of a couple of days, what else is your wife doing to want to do?

For that matter, if you're done diving early in the day (as opposed to getting back at 2 - 4 p.m.), so you can do other things...what will those things be?

I'm trying to reconcile the different elements of what you're after, because there might be some conflict.

One thing about a shore diving destination like Curacao or Bonaire; you could time your dives to work around other things.

Richard.

Utila is a smaller, quieter version of Roatan. www.aboututila.com You get there via puddle jumper from the mainland or the ferry on the weekend which goes from Roatan. It's actually easier to fly into Roatan and cab over to the ferry..

Utopia Village is pretty quiet and self-sufficient being a short boat ride from town. There's also some private house rentals in the area that are serviced only by water taxi during daylight hours.

Another option might be the properties away from town but still connected by the road - Coral View is one.

Not much for the DM trainees to do in town so the bars are loud at night - wouldn't be for me. Not a lot of great beaches but there's a few. Your wife might like going to one of the smaller cays via day boat - she'd be the only one there at some of them.

Provo (T&C) doesn't seem like a match - it's pretty busy, upscale pricewise and all boat diving. The best of which is an hour+ boat ride away - with the shuttle etc. 2 dives and you're back around 2-3pm - add a 3rd and it's 4-5pm. Lunch is provided as the nearby islands are uninhabited.

Curacao's West End could work also - the city is bustling but it's 45mins.drive so quiet. Good diving right there with GoWest diving - their house reef is a good one and many of the better boat dives nearby. Limited restaurant choices (about 6-8) and most people buy groceries b4 driving out.

Upacale is the Lodge Kura Hulanda - more reasonable All West Apts. Both have GoWest facilities but the boats are kept at the Lodge. Also several condo complexes in the area and a few private house rentals.

Your wife will be driving back to town to shop and the other attractions are spread all over the island - Krhistoffel Park, the Ostrich Farm, SeaAquarium - several old forts etc. www.curacao.com

Another possibility is Virgin Gorda but the took a big hurricane hit last year and are rebuilding.

Good diving with DiveBVI or a couple others - they dive around 4-5 other nearby islands. The Rhone is a famous huge wreck (2 dives to see both halves) the front is where they filmed The Deep.
Recently they just dropped the Kodiak Queen and there's a small wreck alley. Good other dives also - not a lot of depth at some.

For your wife Gorda has some stunning beaches - some only accessible via boat. In my group there's a non-diver so sometimes he snorkeled at the same sites we dove - other times he drove around - at some of the beaches he was the only one there all morning. The Baths is a famous snorkel site, town is small but worth a morning and since you mentioned meals with the wife, she could meet you at one of several restaurants waterfront where DiveBVI docks. Several good oceanfront resorts and better than expected restaurants - there's a lot of rental villas which makes them possible. It's extremely pleasant there - a part of the island is a national park so undeveloped.

Also they have the fast ferries - how you'll actually get there. It's easily possible to get to Tortola, possibly Anegada, St. John/St. Thomas in the USVI's and back the same day. You'll actually fly in/out of St, Thomas.

Damselfish, You're probably right about Clarks Cay, it shouldn't get overrun by kids being that remote. Guanaja isn't that popular of a destination.
As for The Rock, it was the first place I found that was the type of place I was searching for after coming back from Belize in January. The wife has a very stressful job, and her need to unwind trumps the need of other adventures, so this is perfect fit for her. Me I just want to dive, rinse, repeat. That being said, I am looking for 3 dives a day, and I do like a day off to explore some.
A couple of things I would have changed from our Huracan stay, was a longer stay, (we did 7 days, I'd do no less then 10 days maybe even 2 wks) that would give us time (together) to explore the island, use the kayaks, etc.

TrailBoss, Thanks for the link, I haven't had time to delve into it yet, though I did a quick search on it. I did notice that they may only offer 2 dives a day, I really want 3, but I haven't looked into it deeper or contacted them yet to verify. 1 thing I did, accidently, was I clicked on something and it opened a email window, "Tell me more", I meant to close it, but hit send instead, they responded within minutes!! I was very impressed!
I will be looking into this some more.

My only problem here is the transportation issues. Getting there is not as straightforward as some other places. We have flown into San Pedro Sula, been to La Ceiba, been stranded in La Ceiba due to weather, ferries not running, flights canceled, so we understand it's not always easy to get out of there.

So Hurracan Dive Lodge coming back after every dive was fine, but a Roatan op, doing so stretched the day out too long? Was Hurracan making shorter boat trips or what? And are you wanting 3 dives/day, or 2 and done by noon?

Drrich, Let me see if I can clear up some of the confusion I may have created. As I said/meant, when we were in Roatan (which was 7-8 yrs ago) "At the time when were there, I didn't like coming back after every dive." That was for 2 reasons, 1 was that I was used to diving Cozumel and we were always back before noon which gave us time to do other things on the island. 2 was, my wife and son were on that trip, so they were always looking forward to doing some exploring, and that style of diving didn't leave time for family other then dinner. Also on Roatan, I was coming back to the dive shop, which was a 10-15 min walk from our lodging. At Huracan, it was just the wife and I, the boat returned to the lodge after every dive, and in the yrs since Roatan, her work had become much more stressful, and so the need to unwind became more important then the need to explore.
On Cozumel last yr it became an all day affair to get 2 dives in. Yes I want 3 dives a day, again this is what made Huracan so special was the fact that we were able to eat all our meals together everyday, (Even unlike in Cozumel, where I'd eat breakfast alone to get to the dive boat by 7:30).
And yes, at Huracan the dives sites are all very close, the furthest is The Great Blue Hole, which is 15 mins away.

We are not looking for nightlife, bars etc, thats why we travel to some very remote places. Belize offers several of the types of places I seek, (Turneffe Atoll, Glovers Reef), but as I said, we've been in Belize for several trips now, (and I really can't stand Belikin), and we'd like to try somewhere else. Don't get me wrong, it's a great country, diving is very good, people amazing, and there is tons to do away from the water, (Mayan ruins sidetrips), we just want to see another place with some of the same amenities.

So I'm not looking for a "town" location, I'm seeking a small private "type" island, (IE, Huracan had another lodge on the same island, but was small enough we hardly knew they were there, other then the fact their divers dove with us.)

I am a photographer, u/w and above. And I like to walk around to capture things with my lens when I'm dry. That's the only reason I think that Dunbar Rock may be too small.

Last edited:
DiverSteve,
Thanks for your reply. We have considered Utila since our Roatan trip, in fact have looked at renting the Pineapple House a few times, just haven't pulled it off with enough people yet. Town does seem too boisterous for us.
Last year we rented 2 houses in Cozumel with 12 people. That group required being close to town for the extras that brings. Most times, it is just the wife and I, and I'm now the only diver. This is why I'm not looking at shore diving. While I'm not adverse to diving alone, I prefer to part of a small group to meet new people and share experiences. Plus in places, (such as Cayman Brac), you need to have a car to drive to those shore locations, get tanks etc. It becomes a near wash then in $$ verses just boat diving. (I know that wasn't you who suggested it, it just fit to add this here.)
Thx for your thoughts on Provo and Curacao, I will be looking into them later, but I really am trying to find a small operation, preferably on an island. Remote, no town. And not a lot of dive competition. Huracan only had the Belize Aggressors and the groups that came from Turneffe, or Ambergris to dive the Blue Hole. Otherwise we were the only boat diving any of the reefs on Lighthouse Reef. (the Aggressors did some dives besides the GBH, but we never seen them.)
This is starting to sound like an add for Huracan! I'd better knock it off!

Drrich, Let me see if I can clear up some of the confusion I may have created. As I said/meant, when we were in Roatan (which was 7-8 yrs ago) "At the time when were there, I didn't like coming back after every dive." That was for 2 reasons, 1 was that I was used to diving Cozumel and we were always back before noon which gave us time to do other things on the island. 2 was, my wife and son were on that trip, so they were always looking forward to doing some exploring, and that style of diving didn't leave time for family other then dinner. Also on Roatan, I was coming back to the dive shop, which was a 10-15 min walk from our lodging. At Huracan, it was just the wife and I, the boat returned to the lodge after every dive, and in the yrs since Roatan, her work had become much more stressful, and so the need to unwind became more important then the need to explore.
On Cozumel last yr it became an all day affair to get 2 dives in. Yes I want 3 dives a day, again this is what made Huracan so special was the fact that we were able to eat all our meals together everyday, (Even unlike in Cozumel, where I'd eat breakfast alone to get to the dive boat by 7:30).
And yes, at Huracan the dives sites are all very close, the furthest is The Great Blue Hole, which is 15 mins away.

We are not looking for nightlife, bars etc, thats why we travel to some very remote places. Belize offers several of the types of places I seek, (Turneffe Atoll, Glovers Reef), but as I said, we've been in Belize for several trips now, (and I really can't stand Belikin), and we'd like to try somewhere else. Don't get me wrong, it's a great country, diving is very good, people amazing, and there is tons to do away from the water, (Mayan ruins sidetrips), we just want to see another place with some of the same amenities.

So I'm not looking for a "town" location, I'm seeking a small private "type" island, (IE, Huracan had another lodge on the same island, but was small enough we hardly knew they were there, other then the fact their divers dove with us.)

I am a photographer, u/w and above. And I like to walk around to capture things with my lens when I'm dry. That's the only reason I think that Dunbar Rock may be too small.

When I originally recommended places like St. Croix and Provo I was thinking that they offer a lot of topside amenities for you and your wife to explore.

But then you said that you wanted a remote island with only one resort on the island - so it seems that you mostly want to dive, relax and enjoy exploring nature.

That's great, but I still think that the Cayman Brac Beach Resort would a great choice for you. I know that you didn't have a great experience when you rented a house on Brac, but the CBBR resort sounds like it has everything you want. You get 3 dives per day and there is only one resort on the island, and the dive boats depart and return to the resort at the dock and the gear storage is right there. The reefs are close to shore and the boat rides are short - but there are a lot of different sites to enjoy, not just the 3 sites they took you to during your previous Brac trip.

Brac is the most topographically interesting of the Cayman Islands in my opinion. There is a nature preserve with nesting birds and wildlife right across the road from the resort. There is a wild booby preserve on the island, and caves that are easily accessible for the public to explore, and the bluff is a magnificent site to visit and photograph. There is a small free museum on the island that is worth a visit. There are a few scattered shops but no city or town. It is not like the jungles of Roatan and Belize but it is a remote, quiet, and beautiful island, and it is different from your usual venue.

We have dived many locations around Florida, the Bahamas, and the Caribbean over the years and we are heading back to Brac for the 5th time this fall - and our 9th trip to the Caymans.

We've reserved a package at the Cayman Brac Beach Resort for $1475 per diver ($1275 non-diver) and that includes lodgings in a small, clean, family-owned dive resort - and you can add 5 afternoon dives for $200.

For our package we will also get 3 meals a day, and 2 dives per day. The price includes airport transfers, taxes, and service charges. The only extras are nitrox and tips for the dive staff. There's even a small spa on the resort property that your wife might enjoy.

The beach is beautiful and a lovely place to relax and the infinity pool is gorgeous. We usually rent a car for one day to explore the island, but most everything you need is near at hand and the resort provides free bicycles for guest use. The package prices increase during the high season of Christmas to Easter, but it is still a bargain IMO.

Check this video for a reminder about what is available on Brac:

Or take a look at Little Cayman, either LCBR or Southern Cross. I know that I sound like you do for Huracan - like a commercial for the Cayman sister islands; but it may be just what you are looking for.

Last edited:
There's a couple in the BVI's that might work.
Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina, Autograph Collection
= IIRC the island mostly is the one resort. DiveBVI has a satellite shop there.

Jost Van Dyke is fairly small - be sure the shop there is still open - it's been closed in the past. -http://jostvandykescuba.com/ . I'm not sure there's actually a resort there - some small villa rentals. Jost Van Dyke | The British Virgin Islands

St. John in the USVI's might be another option for you but there are some larger resorts and villas there. Cruz Bay Watersports is at the Westin. Big parts of the island are a national park. Also there's a car ferry from St. Thomas's East End - takes 1/2 hr. It's actually one way to get there since you fly into STT.

All these suggestions are subject to the rebuilding going on after Hurricane Irma - St. John took a direct hit. Cruz Bay has an update from last month on their website that indicates they're doing some business now.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom