Recommendations for wetsuits for big guys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JoshuaJ

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm 5'8" and currently 255lbs and it is a PITA to find suits that match my dimensions. I've seen plenty of divers larger than myself but never thought to see what brand of suits they were wearing. I will probably end up ordering a custom sized suit, but I was hoping to get some recommendations for brands that specifically cater to average-height guys with a larger than average waistline?

I'm down from 350lbs so hopefully it won't be more than another year or so before I don't have to worry about being excluded from size charts anymore :cool2:

JoshuaJ, First congrats on the weight loss and welcome to the 100lb club. The effort is sooo well worth the rewards. AND worth a nice new wetsuit that fits you well. Reward yourself, you've earned it!

My LDS carries stock 3mm wetsuit in sizes up to 5x. However I agree with fisheater on the custom suits. I had one 7mm suit made last year in CA which I loved. Today I was fitted by Wetwear for an awesome 3mm suit. Their expansion zippers make wetsuit life easy. I'll post pics when I get it. www.wetwear.com Tell Connie & Gene, I sent you! I will add that Wetwear suit last a really long time. One friend has over 800 dives on his suit and it's still in phenomenal condition while I tossed one well-known name brand after about 300 or so.
All in all the investment in a good fitting wetsuit makes a HUGE difference in comfort level and the cost of a custom suit isn't much different than that of any high end stock suit. And let's face it, no manufacturer makes a stock size called "jumbo shrimp" to fit me.

Thanks for the direction guys! I'd found several wetsuit makers by Googling "custom wetsuits" but it's good to see multiple recommendations for a few of them by other divers. I wonder how long the Aqua-Flites typically last? I'm sure it depends highly upon the owner and how well they care for, store and move their suits (and how good their buoyancy is too) so that part is probably a bit subjective...

Thanks for the direction guys! I'd found several wetsuit makers by Googling "custom wetsuits" but it's good to see multiple recommendations for a few of them by other divers. I wonder how long the Aqua-Flites typically last? I'm sure it depends highly upon the owner and how well they care for, store and move their suits (and how good their buoyancy is too) so that part is probably a bit subjective...

You are on the right track.

If you dive in good form (not thrashing on the rocky bottom) the suit will begin to loose warmth from neoprene compression before it physically falls apart. In the case of WetWear that I believe uses premium rubber it may be a horse race. in any case the ball park numbers are in the 200- 300 dive range.

Pete

If you want to avoid the custom route, check out the Pinnacle suits by Zeagle. I am an plus size woman (5'7, 235 lbs) and wear their XXL woman's size. I think the larger men's sizes are called King sizes :)

I'm around your size, a full suit pinnacle xxl short fits me like a glove. I have there 7mil. Another good one is a full 3mil bare xxl short.

Back
Top Bottom