Recommendations for wetsuits for big guys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm down from 350lbs so hopefully it won't be more than another year or so before I don't have to worry about being excluded from size charts anymore :cool2:
Congratulations. Keep at it.:thumbs-up:

Joshua:

I'm built about the same as you. I am 5'9" and 232 (as of this morning). I am down from 307! So congrats on the loss, it is so much easier diving when not so buoyant.

I currently have a 7mm Pinnacle XXL-Short Elastaprene. It fits very well, and I got in about 10-15 pounds ago. I am currently waiting on my LDS to get two 3mm suits in for me to test fit, a 3mm Pinnacle XXL-Short Elastaprene (should fit) and a Waterproof. The Waterproof line comes in Short, Plus and Short-Plus. If you check their size chart, you might find your measurements ACTUALLY FIT in a category. I'm actually going with the XL Short+. http://www.waterproof-usa.com/sizecharts/wp_suit_splusm_size.pdf

Good luck and keep up the loss efforts!

I'm 5'10" and 230 pounds. I barely fit into a Bare (pun intended) XXL. An XXL Short fits me better but is not always available. The XXL is a little bit too long, but not bad. It is also a little too tight on the belly, but the extremely stretchy neoprene lets my breathe, so it is ok.

The problem is that the larger sizes are usually too long. So... if you can't find a standard size that fits, there are two alternatives: a custom suit, or getting a standard suit altered. The latter may be cost effective if you can get a good deal on the suit before it is altered.

Comparing aquaflite to wetwear, I see a steep price difference. Wetwear describes their sewing method on their site and explains that this is more labor intensive and results in a higher price, but that there is value in a suit with seams that can be tailored without special equipment, and it will fit better.

I question how much the fit really differs between sewing methods, I would think that the templates and measurements and skill of the manufacturer would determine the fit. I also wonder what method is used to sew the seams on the aquaflite suits - in owners experiences do they stand up well to wear and tear? Have you ever had trouble getting the suit tailored? I will probably lose another 50lbs over the next year so it would be nice to MAYBE be able to have the suit resized instead of buying a whole new one. I don't know how likely it is that they'd be able to adjust the suit for that much of a body shape change though and won't hesitate to get a new suit if necessary. Its a good problem to have :)

BTW, big congrats to parzdiver and mselenaous! Scuba is just one of the many upsides of losing all the weight I lost, another is meeting my fiance whom which I would not have had the confidence to meet 100lbs ago :)

It may be easier to get into a Drysuit as the fit is different. And you could very possibly ind a nice used one on here for less then the cost of a New custom wetsuit and depending on water/time of year you dive you would most likely be mor comfortable

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom