Recommendations For Sdi/tdi Instructors? - Philadelphia / Nj Shore Area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dberry

Hydrophilic
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've decided it's time to move further into this wonderful sport. At this point I would eventually like basic deco training, regardless of whether I ever move to doubles or side mount, etc.

Currently have AOW (PADI) + nitrox (NASE). My current plan is to do rescue diver followed by AN/DP (if SDI, or Tek40, if PADI.) Most of the advice I've gotten points to AN/DP with SDI/TDI, but I'm open.

So, time to find an instructor - preferably someone who comes highly recommended. This is about my training and competence, not accumulating cards and certs. Location is important - I expect to drive to the NJ shore for dives (or Dutch Springs), but I'd rather not drive 4-5 hours to meet the instructor for classroom / one-on-one stuff. I'm outside of Philadelphia, so Delaware shore works, too. Relocating for 1-2 weeks isn't an option this summer.

Although I *could* do rescue with one instructor then switch for AN/DP, I'm willing to find a recommendation for AN/DP, then see if that instructor would want to take me on as a "full package" student. (OBTW, I have a drysuit now, but need basic training with that, too.)

Any thoughts about the plan? More importantly, does anyone have advice in terms of specific instructors in the (relatively wide) area? The SDI website can give me a few names, but I need recommendations / testimonials (or warnings) from folks with personal experience.

PM me, if there are pros or cons you'd rather not offer in public.

----
Separate thought: the SDI rescue course has a pre-requisite of current CPR and First Aid certs (no problem), but also some sort of oxygen provider cert. I didn't find info on the O2-provider class short of MUCH more extensive (and expensive) EMT training. Where else should I look?

Thanks!
-Don

If I am not mistaken I think @Jim Lapenta is in the area you are requesting. The guy literally writes courses for SDI so I would say his credentials are good and he is always a big help here on the board. I could be wrong but I would check with him..

Edit:

Sorry I actually looked at a map and Jim is on the other side of the PA planet, but I would say he should still be an excellent resource for SDI instructors in the area..

In your area and working out of Dutch Springs,

Trace Malinowski or Wayne Fisch would come highly recommended on this board and in general. Trace's user name is his name on this board, Wayne's is Wayne at Diveseekers.

You can search this board/google search to get reviews that the people have posted about their classes. You can also read their own thoughts on various subjects.

I have taken classes with both, they have different personalities, but are both excellent.

There's been discussion about this on another thread, but I'd make sure the instructor could give you Helitrox along with your AN/DP. You'd have a clearer head during class and access to light helium mixes afterwards.

There's been discussion about this on another thread, but I'd make sure the instructor could give you Helitrox along with your AN/DP. You'd have a clearer head during class and access to light helium mixes afterwards.

Ok, that got a chuckle out of me.

Ah, but I'm not sure I can afford to dive with helium!

Jim Lapenta's name DID come to mind, but he's located at the other end of Pennsylvania, if I'm not mistaken.

Thanks for the other leads; I'll start tracking down more info.

Ah, but I'm not sure I can afford to dive with helium!

Jim Lapenta's name DID come to mind, but he's located at the other end of Pennsylvania, if I'm not mistaken.

Thanks for the other leads; I'll start tracking down more info.

Ignore the Helium comment. We are having an argument with StuartV about a helitrox cert in another thread. Ron was just being funny because he saw my post.

I recommend you read reviews, but then also contact and speak with them directly. Only way you will really know if you will both click.

Separate thought: the SDI rescue course has a pre-requisite of current CPR and First Aid certs (no problem), but also some sort of oxygen provider cert. I didn't find info on the O2-provider class short of MUCH more extensive (and expensive) EMT training. Where else should I look?

Thanks!
-Don

If you can find someone that is offering the DAN DEMP course, that meets all the prerequisites for SDI Rescue. DEMP is Diving Emergency Management Provider. Before I learned what DEMP was, I would have glossed right over a mention of a DEMP course as a way to get the required 1st Aid/CPR/AED/O2 training.

If nothing else, you might call DAN to ask who in your area offers that course.

Ignore the Helium comment. We are having an argument with StuartV about a helitrox cert in another thread. Ron was just being funny because he saw my post.

Actually, I wasn't. I did Helitrox with my AN/DP course and think it's a good idea, with no downside.

Back
Top Bottom