Recommendations for Nautilus/lifeline?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lol…no. Re-read what I wrote and try again. That little jab convinces me that you do in fact have several axes to grind.

I got mine for backcountry stuff and I don’t even take it diving although I would if I had a dive housing for it.

bye bye now
Chill. We don't disagree about the InReach. It is an excellent back-country device.
Don't bother with it for diving, especially if you have to mill a case for it. Just use your Lifeline.

Lifeline and one of these.

ACR PLB 400 ResQLink Buoyant Rescue Beacon

acr-resqlink-plb-400-personal-locator-beacon.jpg

Lifeline and one of these.

ACR PLB 400 ResQLink Buoyant Rescue Beacon

View attachment 683956
Yes, but big safety sausage is #1.
LifeLine is #2. PLB is #3.
InReach is #4 if you want to send some text messages to someone.

Yes, but big safety sausage is #1.
LifeLine is #2. PLB is #3.
InReach is #4 if you want to send some text messages to someone.
#4. Yeah, maybe GrubHub will deliver

I’d put a signaling mirror as #2 and drop the LifeLine

I have an InReach Mini and an ACR Resqlink View. I chose both of those as better alternatives for my needs than the Nautilus. All have functionality for divers to be located and hopefully rescued, but I feel more confident in the global satellite rescue systems than a limited range Nautilus. With either of my units, if I push the SOS button, that signal will be sent to satellites and relayed to rescue organizations. I don't have to talk to anyone to send a "come get me" signal. I carry one or both on most ocean dives and while traveling where cell phone service may be lacking or non-existent. I like the InReach Mini because people on my contact list can track me via the app/website, and because I can connect it to my cell phone and communicate with people on my contact list and rescue agencies even without a cell phone signal. Of course, that feature is useless to me if lost at sea because I don't carry my cell phone when diving. I also like the ability to rescind the SOS call if no longer needed. I like my ACR PLB because I have a high level of confidence that it will reach the International Rescue Agencies, and I will be found. The fact that it floats is a real comfort compared to the InReach which will sink if I inadvertently drop it while activating it or trying to keep the antenna above the water. Any device I carry that has the potential to save my life is worth the expense,

@tursiops is correct. PLB1 is a backup in case there’s no boat is seen in horizon after a couple of hours of floating at sea, then I’ll launch the big gun straight up to SAR satellites to alert Search And Rescue team.

You have more patience than I do for floating at sea waiting for a boat to find me. If I am lost at sea, or any situation where I am at serious risk of dying, I am going to fire off both of my rescue devices. Time is often critical in a rescue, and I plan to give my potential rescuers the maximum opportunity to find and help me.

INHO, for what is worth, which is not much.

None of these solutions are magic bullets that will guarantee being rescued. You need to do your homework to see what is best for where you are diving.

The lifeline is probably the quickest if your dive vessel is DSC/AIS equipped and is being monitored and you have programmed in the correct MMSI, or you are in an area where DSC/AIS is common and monitored. The limitation is the effective range. A boat with the aerial 30 foot high will have a range of around 6.7 miles while a 10 foot aerial will be around 3.9 miles. Find out the boats MMSI and any group MMSI and make sure it is programmed. Depending on where you are the lifeline may only send AIS and not DSC signals and may only send the signal to your boat for 30 minutes before sending a more general alert.see below

Here in Australia DSC is not mandatory for recreational vessels, but it is monitored by shore stations if you are in range

A PLB will get a response, your distress call is escalated through a local user terminal, mission control centre and then the rescue coordination centre (RCC) responsible in that region for arranging search operations.
If your beacon is registered, the details are provided to the RCC in the country in which the beacon is both activated and registered. I keep my details updated when on a trip to the extent of saying diving with XXX dive op, and the ops telephone number.
It will take time for a local SAR operator to be notified, and for them to mount a SAR operation, how long is the great unknown.

The Garmin is dependant on someone at Garmin contacting the appropriate people to start a search, same as the PLB, Can the distress call have the ops contact details in it, that might speed things up?

The biggest SMB that you can keep vertical for a long time seems like a damned good idea, but remember a person whose eyes are 6 ft above the water will only see the top of a 6ft SMB out to a distance of about 4.2 miles

I do not own a lifeline, but I have read the manual. If you have programmed it according to the manual, then the following limitations will apply

Select “Device Mode”. Choose the region where you will be using your Nautilus GPS.
• Canada: Only AIS will be transmitted. DSC not permitted due to local regulations.
• Europe: Only AIS will be transmitted. DSC not permitted due to local regulations.
• USA: Full AIS alert will be transmitted. DSC alert will be sent first to your programmed ship MMSI. After 30 minutes, transmission will switch to your programmed group MMSI. Refer to steps 4 and 5 for details on MMSI programming.
• International: Full distress alerting with AIS and DSC.
If a ship MMSI has been programmed, DSC will first be sent to your own ship. After 30 mins., DSC will be sent to all ships.

So in Canada or Europe you will need to be in range of an AIS equipped station

INHO, for what is worth, which is not much.

None of these solutions are magic bullets that will guarantee being rescued. You need to do your homework to see what is best for where you are diving.

The lifeline is probably the quickest if your dive vessel is DSC/AIS equipped and is being monitored and you have programmed in the correct MMSI, or you are in an area where DSC/AIS is common and monitored. The limitation is the effective range. A boat with the aerial 30 foot high will have a range of around 6.7 miles while a 10 foot aerial will be around 3.9 miles. Find out the boats MMSI and any group MMSI and make sure it is programmed. Depending on where you are the lifeline may only send AIS and not DSC signals and may only send the signal to your boat for 30 minutes before sending a more general alert.see below

Here in Australia DSC is not mandatory for recreational vessels, but it is monitored by shore stations if you are in range

A PLB will get a response, your distress call is escalated through a local user terminal, mission control centre and then the rescue coordination centre (RCC) responsible in that region for arranging search operations.
If your beacon is registered, the details are provided to the RCC in the country in which the beacon is both activated and registered. I keep my details updated when on a trip to the extent of saying diving with XXX dive op, and the ops telephone number.
It will take time for a local SAR operator to be notified, and for them to mount a SAR operation, how long is the great unknown.

The Garmin is dependant on someone at Garmin contacting the appropriate people to start a search, same as the PLB, Can the distress call have the ops contact details in it, that might speed things up?

The biggest SMB that you can keep vertical for a long time seems like a damned good idea, but remember a person whose eyes are 6 ft above the water will only see the top of a 6ft SMB out to a distance of about 4.2 miles

I do not own a lifeline, but I have read the manual. If you have programmed it according to the manual, then the following limitations will apply

Select “Device Mode”. Choose the region where you will be using your Nautilus GPS.
• Canada: Only AIS will be transmitted. DSC not permitted due to local regulations.
• Europe: Only AIS will be transmitted. DSC not permitted due to local regulations.
• USA: Full AIS alert will be transmitted. DSC alert will be sent first to your programmed ship MMSI. After 30 minutes, transmission will switch to your programmed group MMSI. Refer to steps 4 and 5 for details on MMSI programming.
• International: Full distress alerting with AIS and DSC.
If a ship MMSI has been programmed, DSC will first be sent to your own ship. After 30 mins., DSC will be sent to all ships.

So in Canada or Europe you will need to be in range of an AIS equipped station

Is the above the correct interpretation of the MMSI number? I thought the MMSI uniquely identifies the Nautilus.

MMSI Information - Nautilus LifeLine

Is the above the correct interpretation of the MMSI number? I thought the MMSI uniquely identifies the Nautilus.

What I was told by Nautilus help desk. The new Nautilus Marine Rescue GPS (w/o marine radio) has a unique MMSI with Man Over Board (MOB) code of 269 to be transmitted during the emergency alert broadcasting. For example, my MMSI code is 972696005
97 is to indicate that is a Natilus device
269 is the code for MOB
6005 is my ID

So, when I press the red button, boat AIS will display that a Nautilus device (97) has been activated as MOB (269) by me (6005).

A403B5F1-549A-4923-A318-5D132017033C.jpeg

It depends.....on when the MMSI was issued, by which authority in which country, and for what purpose. Mine was issued by BoatUS in 2015 for recreational purposes, and uniquely identifies my LifeLine Radio.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom