Recommendations for Nautilus/lifeline?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ha. I have the old Lifeline Radio, but as a result of this thread I just purchased the new Lifeline GPS...which I hope my wife will carry. Then we'll be covered too!

P.S. If you are a dive professional, Nautilus offers a Keyman purchase for a bit of a discount. Otherwise, Dive Gear Exoress seems to have the best prices for them.

Does anyone have any real examples of these in action? Any issues develop with the unit over time? Thanks in advance for any input!

I have the original model, with voice communication. I carry it on every dive. I’ve not had problems with it. Fortunately, I’ve not used it for a real emergency. No use of the “red button.” But I have used it for talking to the dive boat. For instance, my buddy and I surfaced well down current from our dive boat and I was able to call the captain, confirm that he saw us and that we were OK and willing to wait until he’d recovered the other divers to come to get us.

Hey so as we are heading out on a dive trip, I took out our two Nautilus units which I'd been reminding myself to change the batteries in for a while now. My wife's gave that nice flashing blue light .. but mine, ... nope. Opened it up to change the batteries, and bummer. dark murky water inside and everything corroded.

So lesson here I guess is that even though the batteries last for 5 years and we've diligently taken them on our dives all the time ...
best to check them out. I'm sure glad I found out in the comfort of my home .. and not if/when I needed it out there somewhere.

I was about to order another one and started thinking that I may just shop around for something else so we have a dual solution. I heard that the earlier ones did two way communications which sounds like it would be reassuring ... maybe an inreach mini or something. Going to do some more comparison shopping. Sigh.

Hey so as we are heading out on a dive trip, I took out our two Nautilus units which I'd been reminding myself to change the batteries in for a while now. My wife's gave that nice flashing blue light .. but mine, ... nope. Opened it up to change the batteries, and bummer. dark murky water inside and everything corroded.

So lesson here I guess is that even though the batteries last for 5 years and we've diligently taken them on our dives all the time ...
best to check them out. I'm sure glad I found out in the comfort of my home .. and not if/when I needed it out there somewhere.

I was about to order another one and started thinking that I may just shop around for something else so we have a dual solution. I heard that the earlier ones did two way communications which sounds like it would be reassuring ... maybe an inreach mini or something. Going to do some more comparison shopping. Sigh.
Mine flooded, also. It made me hesitant to replace it. I don’t really want to spend several hundred dollars are emergency equipment that I cannot implicitly trust to operate during an emergency. I would happily pay for a factory sealed be on that needs to be sent back every 5 years for battery replacemen. Or if they installed the battery with an induction charger that could be topped off periodically.

Having to check it for flooding before and after each dive undermines my confidence in it.

That’s one of the reasons I carry both PAB & PLB.

A8FEA3DF-F1FF-46BE-BBEF-85C4BF5BD841.jpeg

F25635B2-0CDC-43EB-897C-1988E9EC6A13.jpeg

Mine flooded, also. It made me hesitant to replace it. I don’t really want to spend several hundred dollars are emergency equipment that I cannot implicitly trust to operate during an emergency. I would happily pay for a factory sealed be on that needs to be sent back every 5 years for battery replacemen. Or if they installed the battery with an induction charger that could be topped off periodically.

Having to check it for flooding before and after each dive undermines my confidence in it.
Yes, I must say after changing the batteries and screwing it down again for the seal I started wondering if I got it right.. hmm.
Since we leave in a week I did order another one but may consider a dual approach like @Dan

Reactions: Dan
Yes, I must say after changing the batteries and screwing it down again for the seal I started wondering if I got it right.. hmm.
Since we leave in a week I did order another one but may consider a dual approach like @Dan
When you put new batteries on new PAB, apply silicone grease over the o-ring seal & tighten the screws evenly by alternating way (a few turns on the 12 o’clock screw, a few turns on the 6 o’clock screw, back and forth until both seal plates meet, just like tightening an engine cylinder head gasket). Make sure you don’t over tighten the screw and crack or warp the plastic plate, just like tightening a cylinder head gasket where you use a torque wrench for it.

It’s so easy to over tighten a screw on a plastic plate and warp the plate or even worse, strip the plastic thread. Just be gentle. As soon as you feel a bit of resistance as you turn the screw clockwise, stop. The o-ring would flatten up enough and make a good seal down to 450 fsw water pressure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom