Recommendations for Nautilus/lifeline?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Opened mine the other day to test it. Battery didn’t work. I opened it up and it was completely flooded. Debating whether I will spend the money to replace.

In a Leisure Pro page I saw mention of the Garmin inReach Mini ($350) and a suspiciously Nautilus Lifeline-like dive case for it (around $50). It would be interesting to see a head-to-head comparison/review.
The monthly subscription of Garmin inReach Mini threw me off and it’s out of my interest. Having Nautilus Marine Rescue GPS and PLB1 is more than enough. I have them for more than 3 years diving in ocean and never use them (knock on wood). Just imagine if I have to pay a monthly subscription for them for those 3 years? I rather use the money for more useful things.

In a Leisure Pro page I saw mention of the Garmin inReach Mini ($350) and a suspiciously Nautilus Lifeline-like dive case for it (around $50). It would be interesting to see a head-to-head comparison/review.
They are very different animals. The InReach works through a satellite; the Lifeline is line-of-sight. The latter is optimized for divers and liveaboards/dive-boats; the InReach is a minimal capability satellite "phone." If you are in the marine environment, the Lifeline is for you. If you are back-country, the InReach is for you. the InReach has some usefulnes to divers; the Lifeline has no usefulness to off-the-roaders. You pay a subscription fee for use of the InReach, anywhere from $12 to $65 per month, plus a possible cost for each message sent. NEITHER device is a PLB, which is specifically designed to use satellites and call for assistance in the world oceans. Dan's PLB1 is an example; it has no subscription fee.

If you can see your dive boat but it can't see you, a PLB is NOT what you want....the Lifeline is perfect.
If you can't see your dive boat....a Lifeline *may* help, but its range is limited. The manufacturer's quoted 34 miles is nonsense. 5 miles maybe.
If you can or can't see your diveboat, an InReach might help, if you have prearranged how to contact the boat from the InReach, but it works by going through Iridium satellites so there may be a short delay involved while you wait for a good satellite pass (overhead, not on the horizon).

If you only have one thing, the Lifeline is it.
If you want a second thing, get a PLB.
If you are back-country, and not diving, get an InReach.

All IMHO, of course.

They are very different animals. The InReach works through a satellite; the Lifeline is line-of-sight. The latter is optimized for divers and liveaboards/dive-boats; the InReach is a minimal capability satellite "phone." If you are in the marine environment, the Lifeline is for you. If you are back-country, the InReach is for you. the InReach has some usefulnes to divers; the Lifeline has no usefulness to off-the-roaders. You pay a subscription fee for use of the InReach, anywhere from $12 to $65 per month, plus a possible cost for each message sent. NEITHER device is a PLB, which is specifically designed to use satellites and call for assistance in the world oceans. Dan's PLB1 is an example; it has no subscription fee.

If you can see your dive boat but it can't see you, a PLB is NOT what you want....the Lifeline is perfect.
If you can't see your dive boat....a Lifeline *may* help, but its range is limited. The manufacturer's quoted 34 miles is nonsense. 5 miles maybe.
If you can or can't see your diveboat, an InReach might help, if you have prearranged how to contact the boat from the InReach, but it works by going through Iridium satellites so there may be a short delay involved while you wait for a good satellite pass (overhead, not on the horizon).

If you only have one thing, the Lifeline is it.
If you want a second thing, get a PLB.
If you are back-country, and not diving, get an InReach.

All IMHO, of course.

Do you own an inreach?

Admittedly I got mine (large version so I can’t take it diving) for my backcountry journeys but if I was drifting at sea, I’d be stoked for someone…anyone to know my gps coordinates via satellite communication. I can’t think of a single reason why this wouldn’t be useful. If you press the panic button , someone is coming for you. The inreach doesn’t need to talk to your diveboat.

I don’t dive with my inreach, I have a nautilus in my pocket. That said I fully intend on getting a dive housing for my full-size inreach, just gotta get off my lazy 6 and fire up the mill cause no one makes one that I’m aware of.

Do you own an inreach?

Admittedly I got mine (large version so I can’t take it diving) for my backcountry journeys but if I was drifting at sea, I’d be stoked for someone…anyone to know my gps coordinates via satellite communication. I can’t think of a single reason why this wouldn’t be useful. If you press the panic button , someone is coming for you. The inreach doesn’t need to talk to your diveboat.

I don’t dive with my inreach, I have a nautilus in my pocket. That said I fully intend on getting a dive housing for my full-size inreach, just gotta get off my lazy 6 and fire up the mill cause no one makes one that I’m aware of.
The PLB does that too: sends a distress call via satellite. No subscription fees. Cheaper.

The PLB does that too: sends a distress call via satellite. No subscription fees. Cheaper.

I understand that.

You seem to have an axe to grind against the inreach and I don’t get it. If I was drifting at sea I’d want any and all devices I could get.

Something to keep in mind; as I understand it Search teams will look for the person they have the best chance of finding first. Therefore, tell your loved ones that you are diving with every signaling device known to man so that when SAR is sent out you get priority. I personally recommend a good dive light, signaling mirror, whistle, radio , PLB, sea dye marker, carrier pidgeon, and something to send smoke signals with.

You seem to have an axe to grind against the inreach and I don’t get it.
I guess you say this because you spent the money on one and dislike an argument against it?
My point is that what it does that you like -- call for help via satellite -- is also done with a PLB only better and cheaper.
If you want to use your InReach to send text messages to someone, fine; have at it. That is what it is good at.

I guess you say this because you spent the money on one and dislike an argument against it?
My point is that what it does that you like -- call for help via satellite -- is also done with a PLB only better and cheaper.
If you want to use your InReach to send text messages to someone, fine; have at it. That is what it is good at.

lol…no. Re-read what I wrote and try again. That little jab convinces me that you do in fact have several axes to grind.

I got mine for backcountry stuff and I don’t even take it diving although I would if I had a dive housing for it.

bye bye now

Admittedly I got mine (large version so I can’t take it diving) for my backcountry journeys but if I was drifting at sea, I’d be stoked for someone…anyone to know my gps coordinates via satellite communication.

I was going to ask, then decided to find it myself. Here is Garmin's page showing the inReach subscription plans. On a positive note, they have the option for 'Freedom Plans' -

FREEDOM PLANS:
  • Monthly service; only requires a 30-day commitment
  • Suspend service when you don’t need it
  • Perfect for single adventures or seasonal use
On the not-so-positive side, amongst the fine print at the bottom of the page - "Enrollment in Freedom plans is subject to a $34.95 annual fee. A Freedom plan's minimum term is 30 days."

So, their cheapest freedom plan option for the minimum 30-day period to cover one dive trip puts you at roughly $50; if you take 2 dive trips that year over a month apart, about $65 for the year.

Back
Top Bottom