Recommendations for Key Largo Dive Ops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

freshorangina

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi I will be going down to Key Largo for a few days around January 4th. My husband and I are looking for a good dive shop for him to do a referral course for Open Water. I am already an experienced diver with my Rescue cert, but he is brand new and very nervous. I am pretty sure we are going to start him off with PADI's eLearning module for OW, so he can just do his qualifying dives when we get there. Ideally a shop that has it's own pool for training, good boats that visit a variety of good dive spots and are not over crowded, and somewhere he can get the attention he needs to assure himself and gain the confidence he needs. Any and all information is very much appreciated! Thanks so much!

Carey

We spent two weeks with Rainbow Reef this summer. From what we observed, they took good care of the students and the students all seemed pleased.

They have big boats, that can be nice on windy days. They also have the students grouped with only the students and their leaders, avoidind hard feelings from experienced divers.

I also went with Rainbow Reef, but for my AOW last spring. Maybe it was my luck of the draw, but I was the only student under my instructor. She was very knowledgeable, patient, and helpful too.

Contact Gary at Conch Republic Divers... he'll take care of you and your hubby.

What Doppler said. You just can't go wrong with Conch Republic Divers. They are superb and I am anxiously awaiting my December trip to dive with them again.

We just returned from the Keys yesterday. All of the ops were blown out for a few days do to 25 knot winds and 7 - 9 ft seas. Keep a close eye on the weather forecast before you make the trip.
As far as the referal, why not use the owner of this board NetDoc?

Hi I will be going down to Key Largo for a few days around January 4th. My husband and I are looking for a good dive shop for him to do a referral course for Open Water. I am already an experienced diver with my Rescue cert, but he is brand new and very nervous. I am pretty sure we are going to start him off with PADI's eLearning module for OW, so he can just do his qualifying dives when we get there. Ideally a shop that has it's own pool for training, good boats that visit a variety of good dive spots and are not over crowded, and somewhere he can get the attention he needs to assure himself and gain the confidence he needs. Any and all information is very much appreciated! Thanks so much!

Carey

Hey Carey,

Excellent choice in doing the eLearning. We'd be happy to walk him through the rest of the program...ie...pool and open water check out. Our pool is right across the street from our shop and boats are on site at the dive shop. That time of the year no shop is really crowded so you'll have plenty of room o the boats.

If you have questions, please don't hesitate to ask. And be sure to ask any operator you choose if they work with a hotel to get you better rates. Most, including myself do.

Good Diving,

I just got done diving yesterday. I dove with Key Largo Dive Center.

I have nothing but good things to say about them. Smaller boat, they max out at 6 divers, but will go out with as many as 2. The Captain, Capt. Dean was very knowledgeable and helpful. Elena at the shop was very friendly and helpful as well.

You will find there are many great reviews about many of the places....let's face it....Key Largo has a dive shop at least every mile LOL. I chose KLDC because of the smaller more personable service and I am happy as can be!! And the dive sites the Captain hit were just incredible!!!

Thanks for the kind words Reef_Haven. As it stands, I am in town that weekend should they want to pursue it! We can even do it on Capt Gary's boat or any of your choice.

I just got done diving yesterday. I dove with Key Largo Dive Center.

I have nothing but good things to say about them. Smaller boat, they max out at 6 divers, but will go out with as many as 2. The Captain, Capt. Dean was very knowledgeable and helpful. Elena at the shop was very friendly and helpful as well.

You will find there are many great reviews about many of the places....let's face it....Key Largo has a dive shop at least every mile LOL. I chose KLDC because of the smaller more personable service and I am happy as can be!! And the dive sites the Captain hit were just incredible!!!

9supratt4, Thanks so much for your compliments and so glad you had favorable seas and fun dives. We enjoyed having you aboard and hope you get down this way again soon.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom