recommendations for diving in Red Sea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cemkur

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there,
I will be visiting my home country Turkey (I currently live is US) in a few months and I'd like to take the oppurtunity and explore Red Sea while I am at that part of the world. I do not have any real information about where to dive in Red Sea. Could someone please give me a bit information about where to go, dive, which dive operation to use, etc.. I am mostly interested in liveaboards.

Thanks

~cemkur

Depending on how much you want to pay I would get a liveaboard via emperor divers in Sudan (no where near as explored as egyptian red sea) or egypt. They're a great company and their dms/instructors are excellent !

Camel Dive in Sharm has a Web page, Sinai Divers, Gahazala Voyager is a nice liveaboard.

Hi cemkur

The Red Sea is a fantastic place to go diving. Choosing where to go depends a lot on your preferences.

Hotel or liveaboard? Are you ok with the idea of spending a week on a boat, then that is certainly an option. Prefer some night life? Check out a good resort!

I have never been on a live aboard in the area, but from what I've seen in catalogues, some of them offer no equipment rentals at all. Might have to look out for that.

As for the towns around, there are the bigger ones such as Sharm El Sheik and Hurghada. Lots of life and lots of divers on the sites. On the opposite side of the scale there are places like Marsa Alam (which seems to be quite similar to a live aboard, except it's on land [not much to do except diving and staying at the hotel. This is not from first hand experience, though]).
Somewhere in between those are places like Dahab. That one I know.

So, decide on what you expect from the trip, that should narrow down the choices quite a bit.

Steve

Long range safari boats out of Hurghada, do make it to the more remote southern Red Sea Locations (i.e. Ghazala Voyager), if it is for diving and night life though, I say Sharm El Shiekh, if it is for laid back lounging and diving, then definately Dahab, also some really excellent swim throughs in Dahab (strictly shore diving, no boats).

Hi there
I live in egypt and I dove in Red Sea many many times. I know that it is very wonderful. But there are alot of varities in Diving in the Red sea. As the previous divers said depend on your ability to spend and what kind of diving do you like, so if you like boat diving or you like to stay in hotel.

In all situations I llike Sharm El Sheikh the most cause there are alot dive sites and many places to spend in the afternoon; For liveaboards I like diving with Camel Diving Club and Sinai Divers Club, from my point of view I think think that they are dealing with the best liveaboards in Sharm and in the whole the Red Sea.

First of all I'd like to thank to all of you for your replys.
It seem that there are many different options. I am specificaly interested in liveaboards (4-5 day max). I do not have much interest in wreck diving, I prefer natural marin life. I'd bring my own equipment so rental (not)availibility is not a porblem as long as tanks are available :) From what I understand Southern Red Sea seems to offer better diving spots. Almost all web sites that I found point Brothers Island.
Thanks again

~cemkur

cemkur:
First of all I'd like to thank to all of you for your replys.
It seem that there are many different options. I am specificaly interested in liveaboards (4-5 day max). I do not have much interest in wreck diving, I prefer natural marin life. I'd bring my own equipment so rental (not)availibility is not a porblem as long as tanks are available :) From what I understand Southern Red Sea seems to offer better diving spots. Almost all web sites that I found point Brothers Island.
Thanks again

~cemkur

in this case a flight to hurghada or to the new airport in marsa alam and then a liveaboard would be the right thing to look for.
there are so many offers but you should be careful because not all boats offer emrgency equipment(oxygen, etc.) and you will be far away from help in the southern red sea.
so shop wisely and sometimes it's better to pay more for quality instead of saving couple $ and risk your life in a boat that has trouble staying above water in the harbour.
oren

You can also try direct fligt to Sharm, and choose one of many dive centers there. I prefer diving with Sinai divers ( they have good boats, you can rent everything - or use your own equipment ). Best places for diving around Sharm are definetly Tiran and Ras Mohamed.
Hope you will have good time in Egypt whatever you choose.

Back
Top Bottom