Cargo Ship hijacked in Red Sea near Yemen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So maybe more relevant to divers, does anyone know of a reliable source of information on the overall level of piracy in the Red Sea? Maybe hoping for reliable information is naive in this context. My limited understanding is that the Gulf of Aden is really bad, but that is based on half remembered memes about Somali Pirates, so I dunno really.

Not one single LOB has been hijacked by pirates in the last 30 years. You may still worry, arguing that "past performance is no guarantee for future performance", indeed. But in that case, the advice is simple "stay at home".
Why posting this news? It's a bulk cargo on the way from Turkey to India, British-owned, Japanese-operated, Panama-flagged, no Israeli on board.... Relevance to dive ops in the Red Sea = zero.

So maybe more relevant to divers, does anyone know of a reliable source of information on the overall level of piracy in the Red Sea? Maybe hoping for reliable information is naive in this context. My limited understanding is that the Gulf of Aden is really bad, but that is based on half remembered memes about Somali Pirates, so I dunno really.
I reckon people who go to Florida for diving don't really care about what's happened the week prior in Haiti. Haiti is probably even closer to Florida and Cuba is even closer. The Gulf of Adan isn't enywhere near any Egyptian dive sites and neither is Yemen or the Yemeni Red Sea coast.
Sudan has had a LOT of issue for a LONG time now and it's Epypt's direct neighbour to the south, there is a horrendes civil war going on... how come nobody's ever posted about that?

FWIW, I did also post about Sudan before my last trip to Red Sea (which went down to about 150 km from Sudan) :wink:.

FWIW, I did also post about Sudan before my last trip to Red Sea (which went down to about 150 km from Sudan) :wink:.
And are you posting about crime and kidnappings in Haiti in the Florida sub forum? Are you worried about being mauled by a polar bear when diving in Vancouver Island? Polar bears hunt in the same 'region'.

Yemen is 1000 miles from Sharm and 800 miles from Marsa Alam. This hijacking may be interesting in terms of potential to draw Yemen into an outright war but irrelevant with respect to diving in Egypt.

Back
Top Bottom