Recommendations for divemaster course in Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some fill right on the boat.

I'm sure they do. Arizona, we have actually been in contact in the past and discussed this I believe. I guess the point is, there is little if no difference between most of the boats that go out for day trips in Pattaya. I've dove on both and I didn't notice any noticeable difference. When I say both I don't mean all the boats so I'm sure there is a difference here or there. But they all look the same. All go to the same spots. And I've never had a problem with the quality of the air or tanks. I have my own equipment but in the past when I have rented from Bangkok the equipment was top notch. Also, the Thai people that i dive with are quite discerning and would not accept substandard anything. Several people involved with DAN and many are technical divers (DIR). The finest day boat I have been on is owned by a Thai guy who holds a PHD in sports science as well as being a course director among other certs. His boat goes out of Samaesan and he charges 1200 per day. This boat is much nicer than any I have seen in Pattaya. The divers are for the most part very experienced, many are dive masters and DIR enthusiasts.

I'm sure to see some rants from this post but mostly if not all will come from those who have interests in the local dive scene.

The old argument that you get what you pay for is just that...old. Just because the price is higher doesn't make it better. Especially here in Thailand.

No worries. Go what you feel works for you. I agree price is not always indicative of quality and or service, but I have heard of air quality issues as well. I like the familiarity of crew and have specific concerns as an instructor so for the most part I use one particular boat. I always like diving with a regular group if possible. Things change when you are a "local" diver as I am sure you can appreciate.

Many visiting divers like the convenience of being picked up at your hotel. Newer divers most likely feel comfort in the mega DMTs and DMs on board some of the bigger operators. These are value added for some. As for equipment, you really have a good deal; as rental gear is well usually "rental" gear on most boats I have been on.

I think Kat has given Lord Khram his answer....

I am sorry he has not. I will repeat my question as simply as possible for the ignorant and/or illiterate.

I book a days diving at Koh Rin because I specifically want to go there. when the day arrives I am taken to koh Sak. A crap dive site with speedboats and jet skis and a submarine, a place I do not wish to dive.
When I complain, I am told 'we must go here because we have snorklers today', fine if snorklers take precidence over divers, but refund the customer his money, not just take him where you want to, without first asking if it is ok for the customer.
All I want is what I booked and paid for is that being unreasonable?
I have received this type of treatment from a number of the farrang run operations in Pattaya, over a number of years but never from the cheaper thai operators in the area, and must also say that the quality of the day provided by these cheaper operators is at least as good or better than the shops about which I have complained

I'm sure they do. Arizona, we have actually been in contact in the past and discussed this I believe. I guess the point is, there is little if no difference between most of the boats that go out for day trips in Pattaya. I've dove on both and I didn't notice any noticeable difference. When I say both I don't mean all the boats so I'm sure there is a difference here or there. But they all look the same. All go to the same spots. And I've never had a problem with the quality of the air or tanks. I have my own equipment but in the past when I have rented from Bangkok the equipment was top notch. Also, the Thai people that i dive with are quite discerning and would not accept substandard anything. Several people involved with DAN and many are technical divers (DIR). The finest day boat I have been on is owned by a Thai guy who holds a PHD in sports science as well as being a course director among other certs. His boat goes out of Samaesan and he charges 1200 per day. This boat is much nicer than any I have seen in Pattaya. The divers are for the most part very experienced, many are dive masters and DIR enthusiasts.

I'm sure to see some rants from this post but mostly if not all will come from those who have interests in the local dive scene.

The old argument that you get what you pay for is just that...old. Just because the price is higher doesn't make it better. Especially here in Thailand.

I have to agree that in my experience this post is 100% correct

What is the local going rate for a day trip to the outer islands? 2 dives?

Does anyone think there is a difference between that and a Thai operator offering locals pricing at 1200-1500bt?

Same sites, same air, good leaders decent food and reliable boats.

I have been asked by one operator (dive south east asia) 'if you want to go to the far islands its 4000bt', obviously I declined.
most shops now seem to be charging about 3300bt.

I hear some Thai operators who of course don't have to have the work permit, don't have to employ 4 Thais for each work permit, probably got a local TAT licence (if at all) and not the 100,000 baht one I needed to open my shop, gives away DM courses for free to get his staff, even runs divers down to Phi Phi on the longtail. Yep, they can do it cheap. Same air?, you won't find me using that compressor and I won't pump their ancient out of check tanks on mine. Obviously these are different to the ones you mention.

You obviously run your shop much more professionally than the Pattaya operators I have dived with.

I run my operation my way. The complaints I had as a customer and the excellent service I received too from the vast majority of dive centres around the world has help me set the level of service I think my divers are happy with. Of course every day is not perfect, but the underlying philosophy is there and that is appreciated. If you have an issue with any company, deal with it up front with the boss. No joy, then move on. I am sure there are plenty of dive centres in Pattaya with excellent standards. One thing I will say though, you went through with the deal of diving on that site, even though it was not the trip you purchased. You took the service.

...must also say that the quality of the day provided by these cheaper (Thai) operators is at least as good or better than the shops about which I have complained

Shhh....that's not possible! How can it be? They cut corners and don't provide the same service!

There are plenty of great Thai people that I know in the dive industry. They do it for the love of it. Not to make the biggest profit. They also find it hard to believe about the prices charged by the tourist operators. The idea that the local Thai boats must be crap because they are for Thais and they are inexpensive just doesn't fly. Also, I've never been on a boat that didn't have several people that were fluent in English. Only once did I have a dive leader that was not.

I run my operation my way. The complaints I had as a customer and the excellent service I received too from the vast majority of dive centres around the world has help me set the level of service I think my divers are happy with. Of course every day is not perfect, but the underlying philosophy is there and that is appreciated. If you have an issue with any company, deal with it up front with the boss. No joy, then move on. I am sure there are plenty of dive centres in Pattaya with excellent standards. One thing I will say though, you went through with the deal of diving on that site, even though it was not the trip you purchased. You took the service.

I had no choice but to take the service. This type of occurance has happened to me numerous times by different shops in the area, and that is exactly my issue. I have never had a shop owner be up front before the boat leaves and say 'I am sorry today we are unable to give you what you booked'. they just take you somewheere they see fit and customers are not aware the destination has been changed untill the boat had left.
Do you really think this is acceptable behaviour for the high priced shops in the pattaya area who keep justifying the high prices they charge by this mythical good quality service they provide.
If you do think this is an acceptable way to treat customers, maybe I should avoid your shop also.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom