Recommendations for divemaster course in Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johnro

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I am planning to go to Thailand for some time and want to do 2 courses.

PADI rescue diver
PADI dive master

I'd like to do the dive master course as an internship of approx 2 months. I was thinking of doing this in K Tao. I'm looking to do this on a budget i.e. cheap board and food etc

Does anyone have any recommendations for places other than K Tao where I might do my courses? Also any recommendations of dive shops?

Cheers

John

John,

If you can do not make a choice until you get here. Look around a bit and consider the season as well. There are many good options, but in the end you want to be somewhere you will enjoy the most.

I do think doing your rescue course in limited vis is ideal. If you can get your EFR cert out of the way or its equivalent that will help you prepare.

Good luck,

Arizona

Very true as Bowmouth said, but if it's cost driving you rather than location, then you have to live with that limitation. These are some of the most important courses you will ever take, they lay the foundation to a possible career choice. As already said, have a look everywhere and get a feel for what's right for you.

John,

There's nothing wrong with doing your course on Koh Tao. The shops there in general have good amounts of divers coming through so your course can keep on track as long as you don't get sidetracked yourself.
Most of the dc's also offer unlimited diving, in contrast to other parts of Thailand.

I don't think it really matters where you do your course. What matters is where you are. You need to choose your course first on location, where do you want to spend 6-8 weeks diving, partying and living.

Once you find that, i always recommend you do some fun diving at the resort, get a feel for the place before you commit. You can be very lucky or really unfortunate with internships.

Good Luck

Sorry, but what has partying got to do with doing a divemaster course. I think if more emphasis was made on turning out good divemasters then we would be seeing better quality DMs that are coming to the Phi Phi islands for the job positiions. On Koh tao you may be lucky to be part of a course of 20-30 DM candidates. Yeah I think it does matter where you pick to do your divemaster course if you intend to a be good one and are thinking of possibly continuing later to be an instructor. The diving on the West coast is far better than the Gulf except plan to spend more money since it is more expensive. Phi Phi Island is a really great choice.

Sorry, but what has partying got to do with doing a divemaster course. I think if more emphasis was made on turning out good divemasters then we would be seeing better quality DMs that are coming to the Phi Phi islands for the job positiions. On Koh tao you may be lucky to be part of a course of 20-30 DM candidates. Yeah I think it does matter where you pick to do your divemaster course if you intend to a be good one and are thinking of possibly continuing later to be an instructor. The diving on the West coast is far better than the Gulf except plan to spend more money since it is more expensive. Phi Phi Island is a really great choice.

I'm not sure if would agree that Phi Phi is a good place for professional development. But if people love the Phi Phi way then i'm sure they'll find a good place for the course.

In the end it doesn't matter where you do it, if you're the best DM but a complete idiot otherwise no one will hire you...

It is best to consider the time of the year and check things out in person. There is excellent instruction to be found in all areas of Thailand not exclusive to either side of Thailand. But I think Big Blue's point was an area you will like. Of course DMT training should intense, but you do get some time off and should enjoy yourself along the way IMO. Isn't that the a major appeal of training in Thailand? Maybe he wants to take an intense DM course but also really party along the way. Pattaya may be ideal for him in that case :) Again, it is best to visit in person and then make up your mind if you can.

We do have a bashing thread going...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom