Recommendations for Cancun?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Allen42

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

We are probably going to Cancun in late October for a corporate trip. I would like to get some diving in, as I've never dove there.

We will be staying at the north end, at the new Riu. Can you please give me recommendations on:

Dive operators that are convenient? (Close by, and I prefer 6 or 8 packs)
Dive sites? Cenotes? Drifts? Etc.

I'll only be able to make 2 or 3 (3-6 tanks), so I'd like to maximize my diving. Any insight you all can provide would be great!

P.S. I've done a good bit of diving in Cozumel, so please give me suggestions other than skip over to Coz for a day... ;-)

Allen42.............why don't you do a search for DO for Cancun and PDC. There are many posts of those who have experience there. If not, check with your hotel. There are some great cenotes about 45 minutes to an hour south of Cancun. PDC or Riviera Playa has great diving.

...and found about 10 postings total... few of which mention DO or recommended places.

Edit: My mistake, it was 15 results, which was only the *first page* of results.... my bad.

One of the big things most of these sites are highlighting is their cenotes diving.

Why the extra $$$? Travel? Rarity? Is it worth the extra bucks?

Finally, what level should one have before doing a cenote dive? I will be travelling with a recently certified diver or two. I will be perfectly comfortable in such a dive, I believe, but would they?

-Allen

Hey Allen the price is a little high because you are paying the dive op in Cancun for transport from your hotel, lunch,gear etc. The diving in the Cenotes is awsome 200 ft vis. The newbies will have no problems at all, new divers with no logged dives go all the time. Just let the dive op know and they will take care of them. I will also suggest a book that you can get at Borders called The Dive Sites of Cozumel,Cancun and The Mayan Riviera by Lawson Wood. It has all the dives sites descriptions and location on a map. It also has a full chapter on the Cenotes. Happy Diving!

Thanks again!

You won't be sorry for the cenotes dives. Will take a bit longer to get there but well worth the trip. You will have to post a trip report when you get back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom