Recommendations for best reader/gauge reader masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got this from Piranha Dive with lenses for under $70.
Piranha Fish Eyes Mask
I think there is a 4/3 magnification factor in water so you can use a strength 3/4 of your normal reader strength. However, I’m not an optician, optometrist, or ophthalmologist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once.[/QUOTE

Is the strength you used on land the same as the strength you used in your mask? I am considering purchasing these but not sure what strength.

In spite of the slight magnification in water, I find I need stronger bifocal to read gauges when diving than when reading on land. The reason is we hold our gauges much closer to our eyes than when reading a book. On land I like to read with 2.5 diopter readers, but my masks have 3.5 diopter bifocal.

I have the XS Scuba Switch mask with the interchangeable filters. But I can't seem to find anyone that has both gauge reader lenses (not the stick on type, but actual glass built-in lenses) AND color correction filters. I've only seen one or the other. Anyone out there have any leads on where one would be able to get both color correction with gauge readers?

I have the XS Scuba Switch mask with the interchangeable filters. But I can't seem to find anyone that has both gauge reader lenses (not the stick on type, but actual glass built-in lenses) AND color correction filters. I've only seen one or the other. Anyone out there have any leads on where one would be able to get both color correction with gauge readers?

Seavision does them.

Yes, but last I looked, which was recently, they won't/can't do the readers with colorized lenses.

What about something like this, if you don't want or need correction in the mask itself?

Not sure how that helps with spotting macro underwater... :wink: Ask me how I know...

Not sure how that helps with spotting macro underwater... :wink: Ask me how I know...
Thought OP mostly needed help reading computer or gauges. That's where I am anyway, particularly low contrast computer screen. So far macro stuff isn't yet a problem. If you don't need more than that, putting something in the mask wouldn't be my choice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom