Recommendations for best reader/gauge reader masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have 200 dives on mine. I'll report back that changes. Following the instructions and getting the initial install done properly is critical but mine have been in for three years. I don't think just anyone can do it right as is evidenced by the reviews.

My experience has been positive with these. I have one on my mask and on my backup mask for several years. Maybe I have just been lucky but they have both stayed in place. This is the only reader I have ever used, there very well may be better options.

Problem with these is they eventually fall out. Sooner than later. The adhesives are notoriously unreliable.

A ‘lil dab of silicone caulk will do ya! Learned it here on the board. But on the edge of the lens.

Perhaps late to this discussion but…I got a 2.0 magnifier from Magni-view. Wondering if anyone has installed this on the OUTSIDE of mask lens, even though instructions say put on inside? What was your experience in doing it that way, meaning on the outside of mask lens? I would imagine logic says put on inside to protect it, but wouldn’t it be a pain cleaning or defogging around its edges when on inside and tucked down in the corner?

Check out TUSA masks and their optional reader lens which can easily be installed. I’ve got the CEOS with a reader lens in only my left eye. Works great!

I currently have the XS Scuba gauge reader mask, which works fine for reading gauges, but not so much for compass work or looking at small things such as little shrimp inside sponges. This is due to the reading lens being slanted back towards your lip. I bought a set of Hydrotac lenses but must have bought the wrong ones because their curve would not let me place it on a flat mask lens. @Doctor Rig does the lens in the TUSA allow you to do the type of viewing that I am looking to do?
@scrane are you still using the Trident lenses? I thought your “progressive lens” setup was pretty brilliant, lol. I talked to my eye doc last week about progressive contacts, mainly for this reason, but my astigmatisms make me not a good candidate. Also the reason having prescription lenses ground won’t work. My glasses, which are great right after I take it my contacts, are fuzzy at best by the next morning. My eyes are reshaped too much by y contacts.

Anyway, thanks for any input,

Erik

In case anyone comes looking here for info like I did: highly recommend the Sherwood Oracle + mask with gauge readers. Great mask and the lenses aren’t as small as the DiveRite/DGX masks with readers.

Coming in late to the discussion here…

Has anyone tried the Acuity eye drops? I’ve started a separate thread over in the Dive Medicine forum, and I am going to take the stick-on lenses with me in a couple of weeks when we go on a trip. So if the drops don’t work, I’ll have the stick-ons as backup.

The Acuity drops are relatively expensive if you just want to use them to read a little ($85/bottle if I remember correctly). All I need is readers when the light is low-ish.

But, if they work, they would be great for dive trips. I have used them at home and my close up vision was stellar until the drops wore off. I’m going to do a little test shore dive using them to see how they work. My ophthalmologist says they should work fine.

Coming in late to the discussion here…

Has anyone tried the Acuity eye drops? I’ve started a separate thread over in the Dive Medicine forum, and I am going to take the stick-on lenses with me in a couple of weeks when we go on a trip. So if the drops don’t work, I’ll have the stick-ons as backup.

The Acuity drops are relatively expensive if you just want to use them to read a little ($85/bottle if I remember correctly). All I need is readers when the light is low-ish.

But, if they work, they would be great for dive trips. I have used them at home and my close up vision was stellar until the drops wore off. I’m going to do a little test shore dive using them to see how they work. My ophthalmologist says they should work fine.

I look forward to your report!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom