Recommendations for AOW electives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

*Floater*

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello! I'm considering the AOW certification because I think I might learning something useful from it, plus then I could always go down to 30m, even though most dive shops seem flexible about that anyway.

I was SSI certified for the OW, but I'm going to Puetro Galera, Philippines, where all the shops seem to use PADI, so I'll probably take PADI's AOW there. Depth (30m)
and Navigation are required, but I get to choose 3 electives. From reading previous threads I've already decided on these 2 out of 3:
-Underwater Navigation (Navigation is required already, but I guess this would be more navigation? I did a fair bit of orienteering when I did my mandatory military service)
-Peak Performance Buoyancy

That leaves 1 more elective, which I've narrowed down to Multilevel Diver, Deep Diver (how deep?), or Search and Recovery Diver. I'm looking for more feedback on these. Which would be best experience, and hardest to pick up by just doing regular 'fun' dives?

Other info:

I also do UW photography, so Underwater Naturalist, or AWARE Fish Identification Boat Diver courses might be an option, but I think that could wait, or be learned from books.

Other options, which I've pretty much ruled out, include:

-Underwater Photographer (I have a Sealife DC310 w/ some accessories, and I'm practicing with it on my own anyway)
-Night Diver (I've done one night dive, and I plan to do more. I suspect this course might be redunant?)
-Drift Diver
-Underwater Videographer
-Wreck Diver
-Altitude Diver
-Dry Suit Diver
-Dive Propulsion Vehicle

My dive background: I did an intro dive in Boracay, Philippines. I then got OW certified in Taiwan, which included another 5 dives, though they were pretty much logged dives in name only since all the training was done in a swimming pool, which the instructer logged as dives (there's some SSI rule about when you can do that), the test was done off a beach; 10 min test, up and back, and then another little dive off the beach - that trip was counted as 2 dives. Anyway, I did another 11 dives in Puerto Galera later on, so I consider that 14 logged dives total (that's how I filled out my dive log. i.e. I don't count the pool dives. I'll probably do another 10 or so this vacation.

So any thoughts on PADI's Multilevel Diver, Deep Diver (how deep?), and Search and Recovery Diver, or anything else, would be appreciated. I just do some recreational diving a few times a year.

Let's see, Deep and Navigation are required

S&R and Peak Buoyancy are good ones.

If I were you, I'd focus on those that apply to all aspects of diving.

For example, I'm sure the Underwater Photographer specialty is kewl, but how does it enhance one's diving skills in all possible diving environments.

I highly recommend Multi-Level Diver!!! You will be amazed how much you can extend your bottom time by being able to plan a multi-level dive.

So, my recommendations?
Peak Performance Buoyancy
Search and Recovery Diving
Multi-Level Diving

Just my 2 cents worth . . .

the K

You have Deep and navigation as givens you say.

I'm looking forward to night diving and would include that, especially if you don't have mentors that could get you started outside of agency classes.

Search and Recovery may be good especially if part of it includes (or can be modified) to include buddy rescue. Especially if the full blown rescue certification is not on your short list.

PP Bouyancy also gets high marks especially if your circle of mentors is small.

I'm with you and would skip the eco/hobby oriented options.

Is Deep diver beyond depth? If you see yourself going in that direction with your dives it would be a good choice.

If nitrox is not an option you may be able to piggyback it onto deep for small money.

I'm facing the same decisions more or less, those are my thoughts.

Pete

*Floater*:
Hello! I'm considering the AOW certification because I think I might learning something useful from it, plus then I could always go down to 30m, even though most dive shops seem flexible about that anyway.

I was SSI certified for the OW, but I'm going to Puetro Galera, Philippines, where all the shops seem to use PADI, so I'll probably take PADI's AOW there. Depth (30m)
and Navigation are required, but I get to choose 3 electives. From reading previous threads I've already decided on these 2 out of 3:
-Underwater Navigation (Navigation is required already, but I guess this would be more navigation? I did a fair bit of orienteering when I did my mandatory military service)
-Peak Performance Buoyancy

That leaves 1 more elective, which I've narrowed down to Multilevel Diver, Deep Diver (how deep?), or Search and Recovery Diver. I'm looking for more feedback on these. Which would be best experience, and hardest to pick up by just doing regular 'fun' dives?

Other info:

I also do UW photography, so Underwater Naturalist, or AWARE Fish Identification Boat Diver courses might be an option, but I think that could wait, or be learned from books.

Other options, which I've pretty much ruled out, include:

-Underwater Photographer (I have a Sealife DC310 w/ some accessories, and I'm practicing with it on my own anyway)
-Night Diver (I've done one night dive, and I plan to do more. I suspect this course might be redunant?)
-Drift Diver

-Underwater Videographer
-Wreck Diver
-Altitude Diver
-Dry Suit Diver
-Dive Propulsion Vehicle

My dive background: I did an intro dive in Boracay, Philippines. I then got OW certified in Taiwan, which included another 5 dives, though they were pretty much logged dives in name only since all the training was done in a swimming pool, which the instructer logged as dives (there's some SSI rule about when you can do that), the test was done off a beach; 10 min test, up and back, and then another little dive off the beach - that trip was counted as 2 dives. Anyway, I did another 11 dives in Puerto Galera later on, so I consider that 14 logged dives total (that's how I filled out my dive log. i.e. I don't count the pool dives. I'll probably do another 10 or so this vacation.

So any thoughts on PADI's Multilevel Diver, Deep Diver (how deep?), and Search and Recovery Diver, or anything else, would be appreciated. I just do some recreational diving a few times a year.

When I did my AOW we didn't have a choice which dives were available as some options just couldn't be done (such as altitude) and it was easer just to plan ahead as charters had to be scheduled etc.

So if you're taking the course with a group, you might not have a choice. Where you're diving may also influence which courses are available. Not all LDS will have a DVP or video camera for everyone and there may not be a lot of wrecks in certain areas.

FYI, the dives my group did are as follows:
Deep
Navigation
Peek performance
Wreck
Boat
Night
Drift

It was a busy weekend starting Friday night and going all through Saturday and Sunday.

I am in the process of getting my AOW And live at 4436' so altitude was a given. But I also took my dry suit course. Will be doing search and recovery for my other elective.I will also be working with my instructor on just going ahead and filling all the courses. You have to take into consideration what type of diving you will be doing,where,temp.
Max depth is 130' without specialty gases. If you dive often you will buoyacy will come.But I wouldn't do a wreck dive without being very sure of my buoyancy.
Have fun, dive safe, and don't hold your breath
Lips

If your buoyancy is alright, I'd say just do that by yourself (ie just concentrate on improving it yourself during your dives).
Do whatever sounds the most fun. I didn't have a choice but did night, wreck andunderwater naturalist.
The night and wreck dives were really cool, and underwater naturalist really helps you to remember what you saw during the dive.
If you only want to dive off tables, multilevel diver might be good. If you plan on using a computer, not much point.
If you plan on doing your Rescue sourse sometime, I'd skip the search and recovery, because that will be done much more in depth then.
If possible, get your hands on the AOW manual, and read about all the electives and choose which ones you think you will learn the most from and get the most out of.

Also talk to your intended dive shop.

If they have someone who is very knowledgeable about an area (uw photo, naturalist, drift, Fish ID, night etc) you can gain enormous benefits from doing those with them - well more & faster than you'll learn in a book or on your own.

Here's another thread about this:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=9106

am doing my AOW at the end of the month and I am doing S&R, Photography and Night. I went with the things that are of most interest to me, and I feel I will get the most use out of! And just because you have done something (i.e. night dives) doesnt mean you will not learn something new and interesting! Good luck and keep us posted on what you choose!

One thing I had to consider at that time was what could be done at a quarry vs off the coast of NC. Dive trips are notoriously cancelled due to weather and you can find yourself taking a year to complete the over all training to get your AOW. So I just did what could be done in a local quarry and hedged my bets.

If you are really interested in a good method of figuring bouyancy control shoot me a pm.....I thought the PADI class was a waste.

rich

"If you only want to dive off tables, multilevel diver might be good. If you plan on using a computer, not much point."

No offense but who taught you to rely on your computer when you are diving? As far as i know no agency teaches this, you should always plan your dives on top of using the computer
___
"Peek performance"

this is something my girlfriends always comment on
___
Oh and where i live anything deeper than 20 metres can be considered a 'night' dive, so they don't offer that here :/. i did:-
ppb , dry , deep , nav, wreck
deep was pretty good
ppb was utter crap (it was simply way to cold to think about weighting)
dry was good because it includes a classroom session and a dry suit is needed here
nav was again too cold to fully care about where you went aslong as you got back to the line :/
wreck was pretty crap since the wreck was designed for newbs :/.

tbh altitude diver seems pointless (you may as well just do the nitrox course, its the same with EAD anyways, just the opposite, and you get the table in the book).

i would personally if i was taking the course now do dry suit/multi-level and ppb (and maybe drift if available)

Back
Top Bottom