Recommendations for a starting rebreather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JakoNoble

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

I need some advice!

I have always been interested in rebreather diving and its something I want to pursue in the future. As all the courses are unit specific I am looking for some advice on the different units.

My old requirements is that it can't have a limiting maximum depth (like the Hollis explorer).

I plan to do lot of travelling so size and weight may be a slight issue but one of the main factors is how easy it is in sourcing parts from around the world.

Looking forward to your replies and thanks in advanced

revo micro in titanium is light & good for travel, all parts are user-replaceable. none of the ridiculous cell issues like AP has. New megs look good, too, but user-performed field repairs may not be as easy 'cuz ISC has a reputation for keeping a tight leash on their products. The liberty looks cool, but weighs a ton​.

I have tried a number of different rebreathers. I just bought an ISC Pathfinder. It is the lightest, solidly built rebreather I have ever seen. The company has been around for a long time and they make some serious gear. Watch out for injection molded plastic toy rebreathers. They are too easy to break.

The question you ask opens a can of worms. :) All rebreathers essentially do the same thing and most people will claim their unit is "best" since they've undoubtedly spent a lot of money on it. The reality is there is no best or perfect rebreather. Such a beast does not exist.

All units have their pros and cons, it's best to research the features you want and decide on a unit.

AddHelium tends to be a good resource as they have instructors and sell multiple units (They don't just push one particular brand/unit).

Add Helium - The Rebreather Guide

I would start buying narrowing down specific options you're looking for and ask yourself some of these questions. Once you have narrowed your choice down I would start by taking some test/rides and demos on those units by reaching out to qualified instructors, most will be happy to give you a demo.

Do you want mCCR, hCCR, or fully electronic (eCCR)?
Backmounted counter lungs or front mounted? (There are pros and cons to both, read them and decide which you prefer)
Do you prefer to pack your own scrubber or buy prepacked?
Shearwater Electronics, Petrels and NERDs, Fischer Cables?, diveCAN or does it use it's own funky electronics?
Type of scrubber, duration, design? Does your scrubber basket look like a coffee maker? :)
Build material and quality of the unit? (Does it look like a science experiment gone wrong? Trick question.)
Cylinder sizes, type and availability while traveling? (Will the unit accept different sized cylinders, does it require inline valves?)

I will admit that I am a novice on my unit, having just broken 75 hours on it but I am happy with my choice. I purchased a used rEvo. For me there is a very large rEvo community in New England which means parts are easy to get and there are many people locally with lots of experience diving them.

I dive a rEvo II mCCR mini. It's size makes it very easy to travel with and I can bring it on a plane as carry-on. It is a mCCR unit which means there is no head that I need to send back to manufacturer and most of everything on the unit I can service myself. It accepts 2L or 3L (Steel or Aluminum) cylinders without issues.

I myself prefer backmounted counterlungs (more streamlined but you do lose flood tolerance and some work of breathing) and I really like the dual scrubber design of the rEvo.

Hi all,

I need some advice!

I have always been interested in rebreather diving and its something I want to pursue in the future. As all the courses are unit specific I am looking for some advice on the different units.

My old requirements is that it can't have a limiting maximum depth (like the Hollis explorer).

I plan to do lot of travelling so size and weight may be a slight issue but one of the main factors is how easy it is in sourcing parts from around the world.

Looking forward to your replies and thanks in advanced

You are asking in the wrong place. Try TDF or ccrexplorers. Several instructors will offer try dives on multiple units. I did mine with Mark Powell, he will talk you through the pros and cons of the different units.

AP are past the cell issues and have just announced a sensible colour handset, one of the things which put me off them. The different types can have radically different buoyancy characteristics, so something perfect with a drysuit might be too heavy in warm water etc.

Do a lot of try dives if possible. Also consider doing the course and then buying. If you find you hate the unit you have chosen after a couple of days it will not be too expensive.

I have travelled with a JJ and it isn't awful, some people take the stand off and get them on as hand luggage.

I'd certainly go with a CCR rather than an SCR which seem like all the hassle for little of the benefit (ok a hit of an exaggeration).

Make sure and budget for on going costs like lime and cells. You are looking at £200/year just sitting still. Also the bailout cylinders, yet more O2 cleans etc.

They are good fun though. You don't realise the impact the noise of OC has on the fish till you get in in one.

If you are in London (or Falmouth this weekend) you are welcome to come and poke a JJ.

Ken

I have a lot more to think about now!

Thankfully I will be saving up for a while so I have plenty of thinking time!

I have seen a few people sing the praise of the rEVO. They are having a testing day in September so I think I am going to try and go to that and have a look.

Thanks for all the information :)

KISS Spirit LTE mCCR | KISS Rebreather

I carry mine on the plane, disassembled, and when I get to my destination all I need is sorb & tanks. I even carry on fins, shorts, rash guard, boots...everything so when I get off the plane, if they lose my bag, all I'm missing is lights and clothes. I can still dive my heart out.

sorry to resurrect a somewhat old thread but I was wondering what peoples opinions on the Poseidon units are?

I've been considering taking a class and potential investment in the Poseidon 7 series and was wondering how popular a unit it is here in the US and abroad, making it easier (and affordable) to source parts. Or even just places it's known to be used so that if I decide to travel light and not bring a unit with me, I'd have many options in places that support and offer the Poseidon units.

thanks!

sorry to resurrect a somewhat old thread but I was wondering what peoples opinions on the Poseidon units are?

I've been considering taking a class and potential investment in the Poseidon 7 series and was wondering how popular a unit it is here in the US and abroad, making it easier (and affordable) to source parts. Or even just places it's known to be used so that if I decide to travel light and not bring a unit with me, I'd have many options in places that support and offer the Poseidon units.

thanks!

I'm not sure the Poseidon is a particularly popular unit. I frequently teach and hang out at the "shop that caters to rebreather divers" here in N. Florida, and I've seen maybe 1 or 2 Poseidon's come through there in the past year. On the other hand, I've seen several rEvo's, Inspo/Evo's, Optima's and of course Meg's. JJ's are becoming more popular as well.

As for picking a rebreather, they all have pro's and con's. Figure out what kind of diving you want to use a rebreather for, and then start looking for a unit that best suits that.

thanks!

Stay clear of the Poseidon it cost more than any other rebreather and does less. You have to send it away to get anything fixed. Google reviews on the unit.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom