Recommendations for a starting rebreather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did a lot of research and ended up choosing a Meg for a variety of reasons. I am also looking to pick up a Pelagian. They both have different philosophies, and both appeal to me for different reasons.

In this case, I like the simplicity of the Pelagian, but the capability of the Meg.

i have an optima, and just bought a meg, i like my optima for its ease of use i think its a great unit, i have friends with revo, meg,jj optimas they all seem real nice! none complain

I am a fan of the Prism and the Hammerhead Flex. I have to say that the Flex is a lot of fun, but then I am a huge fan of side mount, so I may be jaded somewhat. The Prism is what I got certified on first and will have a special place in my heart.

I think it also depends where you are based.

I'm based in the UK, AP (the Inspiration manufacturer) is based in the UK, so support has been easy and straight forward. Mine is an early Inspiration Vision, its been back to AP 3 times (or parts of it) in something like 10 years. I've only paid for work on it once, last year when the handset dies (just to soon to swap to the colour one :().

Access to spares, and support are an important consideration. Some units - like the inspiration, have been around a long time, so there is a good second hand market. Allowing the opportunity at minimal cost [1] to pick up a secondhand unit and run it before selling it on if you choose to get out of the game, upgrade to a new unit or change units altogether.

[1] Minimal cost when you are talking rebreathers is very subjective. You need lime and sensors, and there are no short cuts with these two items.

Try to dive different rebreather units before you buy. Don´t forget to look how quick you can assemble and clean it.
Stephan

dive rite makes a sweet unit, also the JJ is great as well....... cave country dive shop in high springs do a great job on training and are super fair!!! they hooked me up to the max..... cant say enough about John and christy!!!

dive rite makes a sweet unit, also the JJ is great as well....... cave country dive shop in high springs do a great job on training and are super fair!!! they hooked me up to the max..... cant say enough about John and christy!!!

+1 for Jon and Christy Bernot at Cave Country Dive Shop - super people.

----

We chose the KISS Sidekick for our first rebreather, given that we've been sidemount cave divers for about 5 years now.

We were actually considering a KISS Orca Spirit, but we talked with Jon at DEMA and he suggested that it would not be rugged enough for cave use (particularly the counter lungs) and suggested we look at the Sidekick instead given that we were a) full cave and b) had several years experience in sidemount cave diving.

He didn't see the cross over to a sidemount rebreather as being difficult for divers with that back ground and he was right - it hasn't been difficult and the unit itself is dirt simple to manage, particularly the way Jon configures it.

Jon's training is excellent and he prices it very competitively.

I have two Poseidon MkVI units and have had nothing but great service from them. Currently looking at buying a Seven as it will be a little more user-friendly for my eventual diving (100m plus). Richard Pyle has been diving these machines for years now to depths that make my head hurt and he has nothing but praise for them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom