Recommendations for a dive compressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moggy123

New
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm in the process of fitting out a boat for a cruising and diving adventure. One of the things I want to add is a dive compressor.

I have space in my engine room, on top of my 5 house batteries. This is also nicely situated under one of my air intake vents, so I'll be able to access input air from outside the engine room.

Ideally, I'd like to power using 12v DC. I do have 110v AC, but the wiring is a lot more complicated as I'd have to take into account the inverter and the generator and would probably need to hire an electrician. I may just add an inverter specifically to power the compressor, but would rather avoid the additional expense, hassle and efficiency losses.

If necessary, I can also add a cooling fan to prevent overheating.

I'd route the high pressure air hoses to my lazerette, as this will provide easy access to the dive tank rack I'm going to mount on the swim platform.

So, any suggestions?

Alternatively, a portable unit that can be plugged into one of my 110v sockets would also work. However, it needs to be light enough to be easily stowed. I suppose I could always keep it in the engine room and run an extension cord though the hatch, but I'd rather have things a little more ship-shape.

Thanks!!

M.

I'm looking for the same thing. So far I'm yet to find any suitable electric compressors. They all seem to require more power than most inverters can supply, unless you're willing to spend $1k+ on a BIG inverter (2000+ watts), although I guess this isn't a problem if you have a genset.

I haven't found any 12v dive compressors. Do you know of any?

I think I'm going to be stuck with a small 4-stroke. Would be interested to hear if you find any low(ish) power 12v compressors (I don't mind if it takes hours to fill).

I'm looking for the same thing. So far I'm yet to find any suitable electric compressors. They all seem to require more power than most inverters can supply, unless you're willing to spend $1k+ on a BIG inverter (2000+ watts), although I guess this isn't a problem if you have a genset.

I haven't found any 12v dive compressors. Do you know of any?

I think I'm going to be stuck with a small 4-stroke. Would be interested to hear if you find any low(ish) power 12v compressors (I don't mind if it takes hours to fill).

So far, the HPA (from 1000 psi to 3000 psi) compressors driven by an low voltage DC power source I only been found them from the military surplus (like cornelius, Kidde, G.E and so on), the out put rated are from 0.4 to 4.0 cfm but they all rated for 27Vdc or 28Vdc ( the current rated is from 17A to over 100 A ) used and no one with an exception. Even they were designed for 27Vdc but seems to be runing on 24Vdc with no problem, unfortunately just not possible for 12Vdc unless you don't care about the output pressure.

Back
Top Bottom