Shopping for a good quality compressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are many logistics you need to answer first. Have you discussed a compressor with your insurance carrier? Have you researched your Canadian Labor Safety group (OSHA for us in the US) the requirements for employees? Do you know the proper air standards and periodic testing requirements?

I caution you to really understand the filtration systems. As an example, I have a Bauer Oceanus compressor for personal use. The reality is, the factory filtration produces high quality air, but the rated capacity of the filter in real (warm) conditions is abysmal, needing changes frequently (I think I got 8-10 fills, and it is "at capacity" per their published information. Far short of "rated capacity", and filters are an expensive consumable. You may likely would want to upsize filtration (which adds cost).

Single phase vs. 3 phase power? As an aquarium, you likely have 3 phase readily available which is a better option.

With operating a fill station, assuming you have obtained operator certifications, are you needing to have someone versed in tank inspections? You need to know about what you are filling....​
I like the idea of a bank for your fills as the compressor (if it can do bank/continuous duty operation) runs much better in the end.​
I'd still try to pursue some inter-agency agreement with the FD, especially with both entities under City ownership/control.....​

There are many logistics you need to answer first. Have you discussed a compressor with your insurance carrier? Have you researched your Canadian Labor Safety group (OSHA for us in the US) the requirements for employees? Do you know the proper air standards and periodic testing requirements?

I caution you to really understand the filtration systems. As an example, I have a Bauer Oceanus compressor for personal use. The reality is, the factory filtration produces high quality air, but the rated capacity of the filter in real (warm) conditions is abysmal, needing changes frequently (I think I got 8-10 fills, and it is "at capacity" per their published information. Far short of "rated capacity", and filters are an expensive consumable. You may likely would want to upsize filtration (which adds cost).

Single phase vs. 3 phase power? As an aquarium, you likely have 3 phase readily available which is a better option.

With operating a fill station, assuming you have obtained operator certifications, are you needing to have someone versed in tank inspections? You need to know about what you are filling....​
I like the idea of a bank for your fills as the compressor (if it can do bank/continuous duty operation) runs much better in the end.​
I'd still try to pursue some inter-agency agreement with the FD, especially with both entities under City ownership/control.....​
Thank you, lots of things to add to my list of research.

Was thinking of going 3 phase, definitely doable, and I am sure the electrician would second your recommendation of going 3 phase.

Will definitely get certified on using the fill station and bottle inspections, we also want to develop a lot more on our maintenance side ( bottle visual inspection, FFM and reg biannual maintenance, communication repairs)

I was told to stop trying to make friends with the fire department... Even if it would save money and time. It's frustrating, and stupid, but that won't be an option for the near future...

If you want to know more of the certifications and logistics, @abnfrog is a TDI/SDI (as well as PADI) agency in Ontario that can likely assist you.

Dude!

IMG_7471a.jpg

IMG_7464a.jpg

But boy isn't that Oceanus loud, especially if you have to reach in there and twiddle those knobs

IMG_7737.JPG

Brilliant ideas dude ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

642.JPG

Yours is a great size man I'm going to have to uprate mine and with heavier pipe

032.JPG

rebuilt still too small but spruced up

024 (3).JPG

alas those open compressors my hearing is no longer able to abide

It is the silence of the Mini Verticus of which I am really truly in love

020.JPG

Check that silencer catcher drain steel thing there

I have been in places where owners operators staff work in the compressor room
as it's belting out its loudest tunes, for an hour or for two hours without earmuffs

and they will all pay for their coolness with the separation from our hearing world

Open compressors blight on the young that can't afford more when used beckons

You have sponges in yours? I packed mine with stainless steel pot scrubbers, and have a middle baffle and a top baffle (drilled plexiglass plate).

Dude!

View attachment 847696
View attachment 847697

But boy isn't that Oceanus loud, especially if you have to reach in there and twiddle those knobs

View attachment 847704
New for this year I actually have a repackable for the Bauer PO(?), but have repurposed the OEM Bauer unit to just address moisture (pack only with 13x MS). I added a 10" MAKO tower after it that does my air quality. It has a Shelden repackable cartridge in it if I am so inclined, or I can buy cartridges....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom