Recommendations dive ops + hotels Baja California Sur 3 weeks Feb-March 2025

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Topper1972

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Dear all – I need help!

February-March 2025 will be my very first trip to Mexico.
March 15-26 I am on the Nautilus Belle Amie (port Cabo San Lucas) with friends.
I want to arrive 3 weeks in advance to do some local diving.
Reading through other posts….there is both Cabo Pulmo, La Paz and Cabo San Lucas to consider?
And some dive sites…whale sharks? And other dive sites…sea lions? Wow!! :)
Is it easy to get around per bus or taxi if I would like to visit 2-3 different locations for diving?
Is there anything special that I have to consider?

I would be VERY grateful for recommendations for dive ops + accommodation! :) 🙏 :)

We've been diving in Cabo San Lucas three times. Each time we have used Manta Scuba. One each trip we have done at least one Land's End two-tanker, as well as a Corridor two-tanker.

On our first trip, they also took us to La Paz to do a whale shark snorkel combined with a dive at Los Islotes to see the sea lion colony. On our second trip, they also took us to Cabo Pulmo for a two-tanker. For each of the out of area trips, they provided transportation.

We've been very pleased with their level of professionalism of their staff and the quality of their operation (we bring out own gear, which they store overnight in their shop).

We've stayed in a combination of condos and all-inclusive resorts. There are also a couple of hotels down around the marina that you might consider.

Wow! 3 weeks is a lot.

Local Cabo diving is worth a day (lands end and neptunes finger are OK dives if you get out early, but there is a ton of boat traffic.) Manta or Dive Cabo are good outfits, Sea Creatures is who Nautilus uses. East cape is unremarkable. Gordo banks is a nice pinnacle and you might drop onto large pelagics and the blue diving is a nice change. Two days max and I want out of Cabo!

Heading down to Cabo Pulmo is worth doing, but I would stay there instead of doing a day trip. I think Cabo Pulmo has at least 6-8 good dives (3-4 days) and a chill atmosphere. I like Cabo Pulmo Dive house on the right side of the one street in town. There is nice snorkeling to explore around Cabo Pulmo and at beaches south. Great beach walks and very laid back area. 4 or 5 days and I am ready to move on.

Heading over to La Paz is again 6-8 good dives. (3-4 days). Sea Lions Dive Center is pretty good, but La Paz diving is a bit more expensive due to the longer boat rides to dive sites. Some of these you will likely do on the live aboard. La Paz is a real town and your can organize other excursions. Getting out to the islands is nice, sea lions etc. You are out of season for whale sharks I believe. Hiking in the Valley of Souls is good for variety. A week in La Paz is doable, but it is a small town.

So far we are at two weeks. You might head up to Loreto for a week. Bus ride from La Paz of Loreto is 5 hours and Loreto has again 6-8 good dives. Dolphin Dive or Blue Nation. There are a number of sites closer in to the marina, but a lot of good dives out by Isla Coronado or Isla Carmen. (Again you will hit some of these on the live aboard) A last week in Loreto and then a bus back to Cabo for the live aboard.

For Transport: (No Car Rental)
1. Fly into San Jose Del Cabo.
2. Take a shared ride van to Cabo San Lucas stay close enough to the marina
3. Arrange a private transport to Cabo Pulmo (work with the dive center in Cabo Pulmo for this) Small town, everywhere is walking distance to the dive shops.
4. Arrange with the Cabo Pulmo Dive center to get a ride to Buena Vista so you can catch the bus to La Paz (about 2.5 hours). (Or arrange a ride to La Paz) La Paz is a small town and taxis get you around.
5. Bus from La Paz to Loreto is direct about 5 hours. Loreto is a medium town and taxis get you around.
6. Aguila Bus from Loreto to Cabo is about 9 hours, end up at SeaCreatures OR arrange with Nautilus to meet them in Loreto and save your self the 2.5 hour bus ride from Cabo to Loreto. (When I took the Belle Amie it was out of La Paz and you jumped on the bus first thing, Check with Nautilus on this)

I am headed down next week to catch a liveaboard, but I am just flying in, and then flying out.

I assume you are going to Socorro on Nautilus Belle Amie on March 15-25, 2025. I have been to Socorro on that same boat twice (in January & May 2021). Both trips include diving in Cabo San Lucas (CSL) as checkout dives. So, you can skip CSL diving & go elsewhere.

I haven’t had a good luck diving in Gordo Banks. It’s deep diving & I saw nothing.

I like seeing Bull Sharks in Cabo Pulmo

Hotel Catedral in La Paz is good hotel. I used Dive in La Paz bc its walking distance from, but I know alot of folks like Sea Lions Dive Center. You can get to the sea lion colony at Los Islotes from La Paz. Agree w/ all of ProfMason's points re La Paz.

Back
Top Bottom