Recommendation for traveling with regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My understanding is that the airlines no longer allow any kind of locking device on checked luggage because it must be easily searched.

Am I wrong on that?

I put my reg (depth gauge & oct), compass, computer and documentation in the reg bag and it goes with me on the plane. Don't want to loose sight of the valuables....

padudle:
My understanding is that the airlines no longer allow any kind of locking device on checked luggage because it must be easily searched.

Am I wrong on that?
You can lock it but they're liable to cut the locks off. I use some sequentially numbered and brightly colored zip ties to secure my bags, the only problem is that you need a knife or scissors at the other end to open them and since you can't carry knives anymore you have to remember to stop at the front desk for quick snip. They were cheap - something like US$20 for 100.

Late reply I know but . . .

I always forget something to cut the zip ties off also and have learned a trick - put something sturdy in there (I often use a key) and turn and turn - usually it breaks by the time I've gone around about2-3 times. I suppose it depends on how thick they are, I generally have the ones that are a step up in size from those used to tie your reg mouthpiece down.

padudle:
I like to carry the computer with me not so much to protect it but rather so that it is exposed to the same pressure profile that I see. My guess is that the luggage bay is at the same pressure as the passenger compartment but I don't know that for sure. Can anyone tell me?
Most aircraft today have the cargo bay in the pressurized area, but may or may not be climate controlled. That can make a difference. For your computer to "track" your profile may also depend on it's features and if in fact it is capable of sensing anything above water such as atmospheric pressure decreases. At 30K+ft altittude, cabin altittude may be as high as 8000ft. I won't rely on an instrument that was designed to read and calculate pressures on an increasing scale. I carry my computer on because of its importance as a piece of personal equip and not as an altimeter to tell me when it is safe. I use the fly-after-dive rule for that.

I recently saw a post and went to the web site of a store that carries "TSA Approved" combo locks.

E-Bags TSA Locks

Apparently TSA is supposed to have a universal key for all of these and you use the combo part.

My question would be is what happens if they don't have the right key??????

Jeff

AlmostAGrandpa:
I recently saw a post and went to the web site of a store that carries "TSA Approved" combo locks.

E-Bags TSA Locks

Apparently TSA is supposed to have a universal key for all of these and you use the combo part.

My question would be is what happens if they don't have the right key??????

Jeff

Well Jeff. I would say no key and they want to check the bag they will cut off the lock! Some of the companies claim that if the lock is cut off by TSA they will replace the lock. This of course brings up a lot of questions in itself.

I have the lock and did use it on one trip from Seattle to LA without any problem. Seeing the locked bag, one TSA in LA asked if it was a TSA approved lock. I assured him it was and he said ok. So far so good!

One thing that concerns me is the new trend in airports to not use TSA and hire and pay for private security firms to do the checking since they are cheaper for them then using TSA. I doubt that they will have the pass key that TSA has. Of course some overseas Security people will not be supplied with the key either.

I will continue to use the lock until until its cut off and/or disappears.
:clock:

Nail clippers are really good at cutting zip ties. I just leave one in an outside pocket for when I need it.

This is an old post but I thought I would add my 2 cents. I have an akona roller backpack and fill that with fins, mask, wetsuit and clothes for the trip. That gets checked in. Then I take a regular size carry on with wheels for my regulator, 1 change of clothes, bathing suit, dive computer, and all my camera gear. If I get to where I'm going and my check on dosn't arrive at the same time I still have everything I need to get wet. I don't like using rental regs.
montyb

Back
Top Bottom