Recommendation for traveling with regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I put the delicate stuff,regs,computer,lights and camera in a Pelican case and carry it on. NO WAY am I going to trust those items to the tender care of baggage handlers.

Being waterproof the case is also useful on a boat for keeping dry clothes/towels/batteries etc

Phaethon said:
Seriously though, what makes a reg. bag a reg. bag and not just an ordinary padded backpack or photographer's-type bag?

Not much, except being:
1) Smaller
2) Cheaper
3) Not as well built
4) Available (optionally) with the manufacturer's logo for a bigger price.

All the best, James

Phaethon:
Seriously though, what makes a reg. bag a reg. bag and not just an ordinary padded backpack or photographer's-type bag?
Do they have special pockets or clips inside to keep regs and guages from banging aginst each other?

K.

The logo on the front! Otherwise it looks like a small, square, padded bag.

robh:
The logo on the front! Otherwise it looks like a small, square, padded bag.
Ah, perhaps the logo is in fact a rune and imparts magical powers to protect the regs... Then I must have one, for I am going on a quest to the ancient land of Lauderdale to learn the secrets of the frog kick and perhaps have a steak or two at Dark Fortress of Shula's...

Working in hospitals I have amassed a collection of padded bags given out by drug companies and instrument manufacturers - think I'll make do ;^)

K.

ScubaTexas:
I'm interested in recommendations on the best way handle packing and traveling with regs (2 full sets) when flying. It seems to be the safest approach, given the high cost of two reg sets, to carry them on board the flight rather than packing in "checked" luggage. Do the "regulator bags" work well, or are they just more of a hassle and is it better to coil up both and put into a backpack? All suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks
I carry mine on along with my BC and computer (my most expensive stuff). If I may offer one more suggestion. Have the regs and computer easily accessable. They will be checked at every security point if you have to dig for them and then repack your going to waste a lot of time. What I did is...I have a roller bag which I packed my BC/Wing flat on the bottom and then my reg/comp. bag on top of. All I had to do was lay the bag flat, open it and then open my reg bag which lays flat. Everything is exposed. They look, fumble a bit and I move on.

We pack ours in our checked baggage wrapped in wetsuit or cloths.

A trick we use to lock our check bags is to Zip Tie the zippers. We use the bright colored zip ties and can instantly tell if our bags were check when we receive them at the other end. If you zip tie the zippers and the TSA check your bags they will put a new zip tie on. This seems to keep the honest person honest at the airport.

Chris

I also check all my gear except the computer. I found a really beat up roller duffle at a yardsale ($2) and my wife and I stuff all our gear in there. As in previous posts, we pack so that the fins, BC and wetsuit protect the regulators and mask.

I feel the old luggage reduces the chance of equipment theft.

I like to carry the computer with me not so much to protect it but rather so that it is exposed to the same pressure profile that I see. My guess is that the luggage bay is at the same pressure as the passenger compartment but I don't know that for sure. Can anyone tell me?

If I can check my baggage, I'm traveling to a place that will be able to loan/rent/sell me whatever I need, should something be lost or damaged in transit. I've got a couple of big Pelican cases (you know, the ones that supposedly scream "steal me") and I split sensitive gear up between them, wrapped carefully in wetsuits or other soft and cushiony items. All I have with me is a duffel bag with travel docs, money and such, a clean shirt and shorts and a camera. Traveling light means I arrive at my destination with a straight spine and a spring in my step.

I get a grin out of watching my fellow travelers, loaded down like third-world refugees with every possession they own strapped to their backs or stuffed in rollies that have been measured to the millimeter to make sure they still meet the size restrictions. So far, it's worked fine for me. I travel more than most on dive trips, typically four or five times each year. Over the years I've had stuff delayed by a few hours but I've never had anything go permanently awol. Not that it can't happen, but there are costs other than money to consider when you're planning this stuff.

I also check by gear except for the camera and computer.....everything else gets cocooned into the wetsuits and fins. My dive bag also has a spine and rollers so one side seems to be well protected, then I swing my back inflate BC around and stuff (carefully) everything into it.....then to top it all off, I use 2 means of security and tamper proof methods......the coloured zip-ties, as already mentioned and that nifty shrink wrap you can get now-days......that helps with people wanting to open it, since it takes about 5 minutes to remove from the bag and also with other damage......so far no issues.

Back
Top Bottom