Recommendation for traveling with regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaTexas

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm interested in recommendations on the best way handle packing and traveling with regs (2 full sets) when flying. It seems to be the safest approach, given the high cost of two reg sets, to carry them on board the flight rather than packing in "checked" luggage. Do the "regulator bags" work well, or are they just more of a hassle and is it better to coil up both and put into a backpack? All suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks

I always take mine as carry-on. They go in a reg bag just to keep them from taking over the rest of the bag. There are so many shapes and sizes of reg bags you might want to look around and try a few to see if they fit your two sets. Or have a custom bag made to fit your gear.

I tried reg bag for carry-on but replaced it with a gutted, hard-sided briefcase. I detatch the HP hose from the 1st and can fit 4 or 5 kits in the case. The old reg bag is now used to carry spare reg & save-a-dive kit on the boat. I'm not sure the brief case even counts as a carry-on for regular flights.

ScubaTexas:
I'm interested in recommendations on the best way handle packing and traveling with regs (2 full sets) when flying. It seems to be the safest approach, given the high cost of two reg sets, to carry them on board the flight rather than packing in "checked" luggage. Do the "regulator bags" work well, or are they just more of a hassle and is it better to coil up both and put into a backpack? All suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks

I agree, take them in carry-on. It will earn you some extra scrutiny from the airport security folks, but it's worth the peace of mind you get from having physical control over this expensive and crucially life supporting gear. Do the same for dive computers.

The airlines allow you two carry-ons, one laptop sized, one overhead bin sized. I'm sure you could get 2 regs in a larger regulator bag (which looks remarkably like a laptop bag).

I always pack the rest of my gear into my full sized carry-on. I can get everything in there except for fins. I put all of my clothes with my fins into a larger checked bag.

This works great for me:

- My gear is heavy (6# SS backplate) and so getting it in a carry-on keeps it from couting aginst the weight limit.

- No one loses or mishandles my gear.

- When the TSA goes through my stuff, I am there to explain what it is and show them pictures of it in a pretty magazine (make sure you bring the scuba magazine and not the bomb making magazine).

- If I come home with wet gear, I don't have to worry about keeping everything else dry in the bag I'm checking.

The weight requirement really is what does it for me, if you're going on an 8 day trip and taking your own gear with a wife that brings everything scap of clothes she ownes, getting all of the gear into a checked bag makes a big difference.

My wife & I each carry ours on in reg bags. Depending on the airport, the TSA may or may not (usually not) pull them out and turn them over a few times with a quizical look.

There's no way I'm leaving my reg + computer in checked baggage...especially since those bags have to be essentially unlocked, and the TSA and airlines both point at each other when it comes to theft.

Also there's the minor problem that that poor lady had in Cozumel. I'll rely on my own gear, thank you.

All the best, James

Looks like I'm in the minority here - actually, i'm alone. I always pack mine in a roller / duffle bag and carefully cushion them with my gear / wetsuit / clothes. Numerous trips with them packed this way and I've yet to have any problems.

I travel alot and HATE to carry a very heavy, full carry-on bag around the airport. If I can get everything into the carry-on, as i often do for work trips, then I'll suffer through the weight for the convenience of not dealing with checked baggage. But there is no way all of my scuba gear will fit into my carry on. In that case, I check just about everything in (except my vyper - small and light enough to tuck into my pocket or in my passport pouch).

You're not alone Scuby Dooby... I put my BC in the dive bag, open up the cummbebund, then put the reg nestled inside the BC - and simply turn the computer toward the pad on the bc. Then cram the wetsuit over it, then velcro and clip the bc back together, so it's now holding a reg and wetsuit instead of me. Toss the rest of the stuff in the bag with no concern... except the mask that I make sure is more inside - protected a bit in it's own little box... and off I go.

Using this method, I've logged trips from dallas to Palau, Truk and Guam that required numerous baggage handoffs - plus literaly hundreds of trips to Cayman, Cozumel, Bahamas, Turks etc... All with no problems. Never had a single thing ever get broken or stolen.

Must just be my good Karma!

fdog:
My wife & I each carry ours on in reg bags. Depending on the airport, the TSA may or may not (usually not) pull them out and turn them over a few times with a quizical look.
At which point you say "Careful there's a dodgey fuse in that one..." and you get at least a few days free accommodation on the Government and possibly an indefinate holiday in Cuba =8^O.

Seriously though, what makes a reg. bag a reg. bag and not just an ordinary padded backpack or photographer's-type bag?
Do they have special pockets or clips inside to keep regs and guages from banging aginst each other?

K.

scubatoys:
You're not alone Scuby Dooby... I put my BC in the dive bag, open up the cummbebund, then put the reg nestled inside the BC - and simply turn the computer toward the pad on the bc. Then cram the wetsuit over it, then velcro and clip the bc back together, so it's now holding a reg and wetsuit instead of me. Toss the rest of the stuff in the bag with no concern... except the mask that I make sure is more inside - protected a bit in it's own little box... and off I go.

Using this method, I've logged trips from dallas to Palau, Truk and Guam that required numerous baggage handoffs - plus literaly hundreds of trips to Cayman, Cozumel, Bahamas, Turks etc... All with no problems. Never had a single thing ever get broken or stolen.

Must just be my good Karma!

I have a similar routine with 2 differences

- I put my fins on the bottom of the bag to give a little extra cushion to everything
- I put my masks in the footpockets of the fins, glass facing up

I also make sure to put a couple new fragile stickers on the bag - glad to see I'm not the only one that goes for convenience!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom