Recommendation for Nighthawk weight distribution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

akeegan2

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Do you have a front/rear weight distribution for your Nighthawk as a percentage of total weight? I typically use 12-14 pounds.

Regards,
Al

Al,

You'll find that it depends on you. I have a couple friends that dive that BC and I used to have one as well. I see them frequently because the local shops use them for rentals and people bring them on the boat often. The smaller pockets at the top are trim pockets, so you'll generally only put weight there as needed. Some people need a lot more than others, and others use none (or don't know they are even there).

When you are diving do you feel:
Neutral? - then however you have the weight is probably fine
Head light? - try increasing weight in the trim pockets (small steps like 2lbs at a time total)
Head heavy? - try removing some weight from the trim pockets

When I dove that BC I was using 10lbs. I put 4 in trim pockets (2 each) and the rest in the bigger pockets.

Good luck,

I dive that BC and only add weight to the trim pockets when using AL. When using steel tanks ( I only own Steel) I don't put anything in the trim pockets or "rolling" occurs easier...

I use the Knighthawk, and 14# lead with a 5mil and AL80. Split is 4 in each of the front pockets and 3 in each of the trim pockets.

Your mileage may vary.....

It's going to depend on your tank and exposure protection. There's no one answer. Mine is 50/50, diving with only a skin and AL tank.

All good answers and personal input; it is totally dependent on the individual's exposure suit, how much time they spend on the surface, and their particular body design. Experiment with all the options suggested but remember to always have the majority of weight located in the 'ditchable' front pockets in case of an emergency.

I slightly tightened the bungee (3-4 inches) (helped reduce the amount of air switching from one side to the other) and made sure the velcro/straps holding the wing to the plastic backplate were as tight as possible and I noticed a steep increase in performance regarding buoyancy

I use the Knighthawk, and 14# lead with a 5mil and AL80. Split is 4 in each of the front pockets and 3 in each of the trim pockets.

Your mileage may vary.....

That's exactly what I use with the same wetsuit and tank. It's perfect for me.

With a 3mm, I use 3 + 1 if there are 1 pound weghts or 2 + 2 if there are not. In a 7mm, I usually use 6 + 4 or something close to that. I experimented around to come to my current pattern. These are all with Al tanks. With steel tanks, I lose 6 pounds from the total.

Good diving, Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom