recommend a good daytrip dive from Phuket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pakman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
OK... Looks like I will be going to Phuket for xmas and new years after all (Andaman Scuba/ mv Bunmee II's new yrs trip). I will have a couple of days before my Similan liveaboard trip sets sail and wanted to maybe get some diving in around Phuket. Anybody recommend a good day trip from Phuket? Likely be staying on Karon beach.

Maybe Shark Pt? Anemone Reef? How about that King Cruiser ferry wreck?

i have posted 2-3 detailed reports on just this topic. do a search here for phuket day trips or my name to find them eyebrow

My personal favorite is Anemone Reef. Lots of life, lovely views with all the anemones and normally relaxed diving, where you don't have to go too deep.
There are more nice daytrip sites, but if were to go 1 day, I would go to Anemone Reef.

JonnieB:
i have posted 2-3 detailed reports on just this topic. do a search here for phuket day trips or my name to find them eyebrow

maybe I wanted a second opinion:wink: ... just kiddin jonnie boy... must have miss your post when I searched on phuket...

edit: btw, good write-up...

and stevenl, thanks also

I second Stevenl - Anemone Reef is a truly lovely dive site. Another great dive site is Koh Racha Noi south point or southern pinnacle (very strong currents and definitely not for beginner divers). Not many of the daytrip boats frequent these dive sites, instead they often tend to do the 3 dive daytrip to the King Cruiser wreck, Sharkpoint and Koh Doc Mai sites.

Otherwise enjoy!

Anemone Reef is pretty cool.
King Cruiser: ask for visibility and current before you take this. Long boat ride and usually a speed boat where the waves will make you sick.

I just got back (was there Thanksgiving week) and did the King Cruiser/ Anemone/Koh Doc Mai day trip with Calypso Divers- It was a lot of fun, very well run trip. Some of the shops run trips to Racha Yai, but those dives are more beginner level dives, and often only 2 tank dives.

BikerManiac:
Anemone Reef is pretty cool.
King Cruiser: ask for visibility and current before you take this. Long boat ride and usually a speed boat where the waves will make you sick.

I second this advice. Anemone Reef is nice (even if the Brits I dove with pronounced it "wrong..." just teasing).

As for the King Cruiser... one of the "worst" (is there really a bad dive?) dives of my life. My beautiful Dutch DM/dive buddy misread the tide charts and we were there during a stiff current with very low vis. Still we surfaced with a smile despite the fact we got blown off the wreck and nearly lost it, and couldn't see much of the wreck (or even each other).

wow.... this could be a first on SB... a unanimous opinion... and the winner is .. anemome reef... :wink: OK... looks like I'll give this a shot as a post xmas dive!

Try a trip that includes Anemone Reef and Shark Point. Many operators run a 3 tank trip with the wreck, one of the two above plus Koh Doc Mai. As DrBill saw, the wreck can be a tough dive if the current is wrong, its not a beginners dive. If you can get a 3 tank trip with the Anemone Reef, Shark Point and Koh Doc Mai, thats the best for local dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom