recomended Dive opertators in Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drew Sailbum:
While it may not be final, it looks like Bob Soto's may be down for the count. They had really rotten luck.

oh man, i feel bad for them. i dove with them two years running, and loved
their DMs. i hope they make it.

It's unfortunante about Cayman. Hopefully the small ops have enough $ in the bank to hold through repairs.

Drew Sailbum:
While it may not be final, it looks like Bob Soto's may be down for the count. They had really rotten luck.

They made the decision to bring boats from LC & the Brac to GC when it looked like Ivan was heading for the Sister Islands. Then Ivan's path changed and GC basically took a direct hit. Most of their boats were seriously damaged. Rumor has it that only 1 of about a dozen boats made it through.

Well...the boats were OK. It's Grand Cayman that's not OK. Yes, the big resorts are back in business now. But what's not back in business are the condo owners. Condominium associations move at a snail's pace, so the condo owners aren't back on GC yet. And they're not likely to be back for a while yet. That was Bob Soto's mainstay. So the decision was made not to reopen Bob Soto's, and instead to divert the boats to Cayman Brac and Little Cayman. There are now 3 Newton 42's and one Newton 46 running on Little Cayman, and I think the situation is about the same on Cayman Brac. The business license for Bob Soto's has been renewed, just for safety, but nothing is going to happen anytime soon. And you can forget about the Sea View. The deal is off on that one.

So...in summary...the problem is not the boats. It's that Grand Cayman is still a very dead issue. All the action is on Cayman Brac and Little Cayman now.

so how does it work business-wise, I remember reading something about this once - Bob Soto's, Reef Divers on Brac, Reef Divers on LC (and I assume Conch Club Divers?), and Divetech are all part of the same company, or related companies somehow? And Bob Soto's owned or managed Seaview?

I have chosen dive ops that I liked to tell you about on GC, there are plenty of other ops that I wouldn't refer you to. Fish-eye in the past on Grand Cayman (west and north side), also Ocean Frontiers on the east side. On the Brac, Ive used both Brac Divers and the Divi, I prefer the Divi., on Little Cayman I've used Reef Divers from LCBR and found them to be tops, but have not used any other dive ops on LC.

Dive Safe,
Caymaniac

East end is my favorite. Matter of fact, I'll be there this April diving with Ocean Explorers. Hopefully after Ivan I won't be disapointed.

Cayman Brac was great stayed at Brac Reef Beach Resort and dove with Reef divers. For what it's worth I'd recommend them and rate them high.

zf2nt:
So...in summary...the problem is not the boats. It's that Grand Cayman is still a very dead issue. All the action is on Cayman Brac and Little Cayman now.

Seems to be the case i recieved some emails from shop on GC and one stated they won't be up until December of 2005 and can't commit to anything in Janaury quite yet. Which is understood.

The Cayman tourism board has been up in this are trying to entice people back to the caymans. Thats all fine and dandy, but if the dive shops are not up to taking any groups...

jbisjim:
I am looking into places for our 2006 Dive trip. Some have suggested Grand Cayman, Cayman Brac. Does anyone have any recomended dive operators? I am also looking suggest hotel operators.

I'll take other destination suggestions as well

I just got back from diving East End in Grand Cayman.
The place to dive is Ocean Frontiers (www.oceanfrontiers.com) and stay right there at Compass Point.

I have over 300 pictures from last week's trip:
http://www.ne-ue.com/gallery/categories.php?cat_id=23&page=23

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom