recomended Dive opertators in Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cayman got rocked decently hard by Ivan(?) and put some of the smaller operators out of business. I believe things are starting to pick back up but I'm sure there's still a lot to be done there.

I know some of the main operators still around are Dive Tech and charters run out of SunSet house resort, which has a good reputation. I had a friend who lived there and instructed but is back in the states due to the hurricane. He probably could recommend some good small ops but who knows if they'll still be around in 06'.

Drop me a pm if you'd like some more info...

-Stay wet

boca diver:
Cayman got rocked decently hard by Ivan(?) and put some of the smaller operators out of business.

and at least one of the big ones too, it seems.

Grand Cayman got hit hard by Hurricane Ivan, though the Sister Islands of Cayman Brac and Little Cayman were essentially spared. Let's all hope that GC is back to whatever passes as normal by 2006.

As for GC for a 2006 trip... I'm reasonably certain that the Hyatt, Westin , Marriott, and Ritz Carlton hotels should be up and running at full capacity by then. (OMG, I just said I think the Ritz will be done! - a bit of local humor) The first three are serviced by on-site dive operator Red Sail Sports. The Ritz is planning its own dive operation.
Sunset House is a much smaller, nothin' fancy hotel with a great on-site dive op-Sunset Divers.
Out in East End, The Royal Reef is already open and I'm hoping Morritt's Tortuga Club will be open by then. Both are timeshare places and owners of units there get first priority. Could be hard getting a room. The R Reef is served by Ocean Frontiers with van pickups. Morritt's on-site operator, Tortuga Divers, is looking to reopen when the resort does sometime later in 2005. OF also has on-site condos, COmpass Point, which are nice and already open.

You can definitely plan a great 2006 vacation for Grand Cayman. And if the travel bug hits you earlier, then Caman Brac and Little Cayman are ready to host your diving.

I recommend Cobalt Coast and Divetech on GC. Lots of people like Sunset House, but I'm personally not crazy about it (it's nice to get on the boat at the hotel which you can't do at CC, and the shore diving at Sunset House starts closer than at CC, but I don't think the hotel (or most of their boats) are so great, CC is much nicer. Depends what you want. Divetech dives the North most of the time unless its too rough (rough happens more often in the winter) then they do the West. SH dives the West a lot, and a fair amount South especially afternoon dives. North is better and South is pretty nice, the West seems crowded and not so nice anymore. I think East End diving is the best on GC. I'd say the Reef is the nicest resort on that end and I think they've reopened, but you can't get on a dive boat right there, typically get picked up by Ocean Frontiers which is a good op. There's Morritt's Tortuga Club (heavily damaged) and Tortuga Divers but I haven't tried either. There's Compass Point Condo's right at Ocean Frontiers, not quite as "resorty" as the Reef but I'd probably stay there the next time as it's a real dive resort and more convienient for the diving. Cayman Dive Lodge was popular but needs to get rebuilt, might be awhile so depends on when your trip is.

Little Cayman is great, think about that too...

As far as other suggestions, where have you been so far?

While it may not be final, it looks like Bob Soto's may be down for the count. They had really rotten luck.

They made the decision to bring boats from LC & the Brac to GC when it looked like Ivan was heading for the Sister Islands. Then Ivan's path changed and GC basically took a direct hit. Most of their boats were seriously damaged. Rumor has it that only 1 of about a dozen boats made it through.

parrotheaddiver:
Drew glad to see you back and posting again. I hope all is well with you. Back to work yet? :06:

Been back at it since mid-November with only sporadic internet access. I've been moved over to the Red Sail dive shop at Rum Point since it will take quite some time to reopen Tortuga Divers at Morritt's.

My car and apartment were both trashed in Ivan and the place I'm staying doesn't have a landline. The only internet and email access is at internet cafes and such. This has put a major damper on my online activities.

As far as Sister Island suggestions, I would recommend Pirates Point on Little Cayman. Great food, great dive guides and very laid back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom