Recognize this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just to be clear, the line added to the map is of a smaller diameter (12inch) pipe with a more easterly heading that the big pipe leading to the Mfield.

So, when you say you took a bearing of 58 degrees, I assume you surfaced at the 'thing' and took a bearing of 238 back to the pumphouse, then subtracted 180?

Guy

No, but I wish I had surfaced and sited to objects and bearings.

What I did was started tracking the small pipe, which I assume connects directly to the pump house, and set a bearing of 58 degrees as soon as I found the pipe. I just checked my new computer and found that the declination is set to 0, so 58 degrees should be corrected by ~14deg. The pipe ends before the object as you're kicking the 58 degree bearing.

Clearly the directions are vague, so the best plan is to find the small pipe heading roughly in the direction I've indicated, note the bearing, and kick it out until you find a large sandy area. That's where it is. Good luck, take pics!

Hi, srcalDiver.

Actually, if the declination on your compass (which I guess it's an electronic one, from what you say) was set to 0, then we can follow 58 degrees on our compasses too (which are the normal, old-fashioned type), there's no need to correct for the declination.

It would need to be corrected for plotting onto a map that's aligned to true North, though. For example, the 58 degrees would be 72 degrees, but since in the map that you used the North arrow points to magnetic North, there was no need to correct.

So, basically, we'll swim out directly from the bottom of the stairs on the pump-house side, drop and find the pipe (which runs on 58 degrees), follow it to the end, keep swimming on 58 deg to a big sandy area, and find the robotic dog lying there. Sounds easy enough (famous last words... Along with "Hey, hold my beer and watch this!").

No, but I wish I had surfaced and sited to objects and bearings.

What I did was started tracking the small pipe, which I assume connects directly to the pump house, and set a bearing of 58 degrees as soon as I found the pipe. I just checked my new computer and found that the declination is set to 0, so 58 degrees should be corrected by ~14deg. The pipe ends before the object as you're kicking the 58 degree bearing.

Clearly the directions are vague, so the best plan is to find the small pipe heading roughly in the direction I've indicated, note the bearing, and kick it out until you find a large sandy area. That's where it is. Good luck, take pics!

AFAIA, the big pipe is the only pipe connected directly to the pumphouse (it's actually not, but comes onshore just to the NW side of it). Every other pipe out there is left over from the canneries, and exists in short sections. But you've given us enough to work with, so we'll see what we can find.

Thanks,

Guy

I found this at the Breakwater this weekend. Do you recognize it?

DOOOD!! Woofie finally made it!! I shipped him off 4 months ago!!

Okay...I don't have a clue either so I'm subscribing

Peace,
Greg

Sooooooooo.... did someone go find it again? The suspense is killing me! :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom