Recognize this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So there's two lights pointing down and one pointing sideways. Seems like overkill but maybe the bigger pipe on top was just weight to keep it upright on the feet in surge. Since there appears to be some sort of caulk or sealing on the threads.

Not that that worked especially well...LOL.

The odd thing would be the short life of the lights - even eLED's would only have maybe 100hrs. max life. So maybe it was some sort of kludged up light source for an u/w webcam or something.

Unless there's batteries inside the big pipe? This photo at least seems to show some wire near the one light. Maybe the wires run inside the PVC and we can't see them due to the way their mounted.

I cleaned up the image to provide more clarity. It appears there's possibly a fourth forward facing light on the back left leg.

Attachments

• unknown.jpg
    unknown.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 85
I probably should have ended my post with a :D.
I really want to know what's inside. Typically, with a pinger, the transducer head is exposed to the water. It doesn't seem like you'd get very good data back from putting a pinger inside a steel pipe... And what is that damned cowbell for?

Last edited:
[-]This is pretty far-fetched but what about the bottom half of a homebuilt ROV. Some high school kids built one here out of PVC and won a national contest. You'd think there'd be some indication of where it detached though.

Does sort of explain the two lights forward - two lights down. And the feet all facing the same way.[/-]

Retracted, the lights are facing the wrong way for this to work...

I think I would've flipped it back onto its feet to see if it would walk away, looks like it's been turtled.

Ok..this is freaking weird! Cowbells,3 flashlights and 4 weedpullers and some sealed cast iron pipe...:confused:

What the hell??

Looked up the geocache for Monterey and found this --
The cache is on a bearing of 10 degrees (magnetic) from the anchor. Look for a weighted plastic box near an old, man made structure. Please do not disturb anything else, it is not well hidden! There is a plastic slate in the box for logging your visit while you are there. There is a plastic catch on the side of the box. Pull it away from the box to open.

Definitely not this. Unless there are two caches. I think the "cowbell" was where it was mounted to something else. I just have no idea what that something could be.

Well, I've emailed the Aquarium and Hopkins with no replies.

I recall about a year ago someone posted a map of the pipe system at breakwater. Does anyone have a link to it? I'll mark where I found it and one of you can pull it up, but you must take it apart and post pics.

Well, I've emailed the Aquarium and Hopkins with no replies.

I recall about a year ago someone posted a map of the pipe system at breakwater. Does anyone have a link to it? I'll mark where I found it and one of you can pull it up, but you must take it apart and post pics.

Guy probably has the super-detailed landmark map you need, but if you'd like to mark it on here, please be my guest!

ScubaBoard Gallery - Breakwater Dive Map v2.0

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom