Recognize this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is how my wife and I found the object. We entered the water directly below the stairs to the east of the pump house & restroom, kicked out for ~5min then descended and found a 12 diameter pipe. I marked the bearing as 58 degrees. We followed the pipe until we came to a sandy patch and there it was at ~25 feet depth.

Assuming the pipe runs straight from the pump house, the attached map (leveraged from BAUE.org) shows where we probably located the object at 25ft. We didn't surface, so the location is very approximate.

If you do find it, please post pics. Good luck!

I'm curious about that BAUE map. I've always hit the met. fields by heading due north from the end of the pipe. Is this oriented differently somehow? It says it's pointed to magnetic north...

deadbilly:
I'm curious about that BAUE map. I've always hit the met. fields by heading due north from the end of the pipe. Is this oriented differently somehow? It says it's pointed to magnetic north...

Good eye! I believe the compass rose on the BAUE mashup is angled about 13-14 degrees off because the google maps images are aligned to true north; the compass rose adjusts the declination for magnetic north (what your compass reads). Note that the large Monterey maps I've linked earlier have been rotated so that magnetic north points straight up.

Good eye! I believe the compass rose on the BAUE mashup is angled about 13-14 degrees off because the google maps images are aligned to true north; the compass rose adjusts the declination for magnetic north (what your compass reads). Note that the large Monterey maps I've linked earlier have been rotated so that magnetic north points straight up.

There are a couple of problems with that map. The first is that the waypoint marking the metridum fields on that map is Chuck Tribolet's, and it's not at the point where you first hit the fields when swimming due north M. from the end of the Big Pipe. It's much further east than that, and actually on sand to avoid people dropping their anchor on one of the reefs.

Second, the line of the Big Pipe added to the map is off. It extends out from shore on 035 M. (049 true) taking off from the NW corner of the pumphouse.

The reef you hit when swimming north from the Big Pipe is the lower left of the group of four reefs arranged in a rough rectangle west of the big 'M' in "Metridium", and just west of the 50 foot contour. The end of the Big Pipe is located in the 'blob' south of that reef; you can see the straight line sonar trace of the Big Pipe heading into it the last 50 feet or so, and pointing back towards shore. The Pipe passes just along the southeast base of the conical pinnacle at 28-29 feet, before bending slightly to the north and running the rest of the way outwards.

I've got a pdf map accurately showing the line of the Big Pipe, and you can find it in this folder:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ba_diving/files/San%20Carlos%20Beach%20%28Breakwater%29/

I don't know if you have to be a member of the ba_diving group to access it, but joining is no big deal. [Edit] I'd forgotten that Kenn's map also shows the line of the Big Pipe, although it extends out just a touch too far. But more than accurate enough for this purpose. He too uses Chuck's coordinates for the Metridium fields. On my map, the waypoint labeled 'MILSTN' is the small rock standing about 5 feet south of the first met. reef north from the end of the big pipe.

BTW, if the OP really found a 12" pipe, that's not the Big Pipe -- it's 30" O.D. (I measured the circumference with a tape). It's more likely to be one of the numerous cannery pipes off the NW end of the beach, most of which are in the 6"-8" range.

Guy

Last edited:
Well, I've emailed the Aquarium and Hopkins with no replies.

I recall about a year ago someone posted a map of the pipe system at breakwater. Does anyone have a link to it? I'll mark where I found it and one of you can pull it up, but you must take it apart and post pics.

Did you try contacting MBARI or Moss Landing? Although this looks pretty homebrew.

Guy

If you do find it, please post pics. Good luck!

BTW, if the OP really found a 12" pipe, that's not the Big Pipe -- it's 30" O.D. (I measured the circumference with a tape). It's more likely to be one of the numerous cannery pipes off the NW end of the beach, most of which are in the 6"-8" range.

Guy

Hey, Guy.

This sounds like a fun project for this weekend, no? :D

I'll bring the camera.

Hey, Guy.

This sounds like a fun project for this weekend, no? :D

I'll bring the camera.

Great minds etc.:D

Ben Troxell wrote:

I also have it on my web site at:

http://www.DiveMonterey.info/Images/BreakwaterMap.pdf

This map is aligned to magnetic north.

Ben

Thanks, Ben, that's probably more accessible. For those who don't know, Ben did the computer magic to make the map, as well as taking the GPS coordinates from his kayak as we buoyed each waypoint. Without him there probably wouldn't be a map, and certainly not one that looked anywhere near as professional. Sadly, it now contains an inaccuracy, as the @%$#^&$ who tried to raise the Anchor moved it about 25 feet towards shore. When accosted by the Harbormaster, Marine Sanctuary people and the Coast Guard, they claimed they were only trying to uncover it to make more of it visible. I don't think the officials were impressed, but wasn't there to find out. I can only hope they were hit with a large fine.

Guy

Last edited:
That's odder than a wooden watch...

Second, the line of the Big Pipe added to the map is off. It extends out from shore on 035 M. (049 true) taking off from the NW corner of the pumphouse.

Just to be clear, the line added to the map is of a smaller diameter (12inch) pipe with a more easterly heading that the big pipe leading to the Mfield.

Back
Top Bottom