Recognize this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well... Guy and I did go out on Saturday afternoon (we were at the Wharf # 2 cleanup in the morning -- which was lots of fun).

We had agreed before the dive that we would spend about 20 minutes in the search, that if we found it we would mark it and pick it up on the way back.

We tried to follow the directions as best as we could, but with so many pipes around who knows if we were following the correct one (at some point, while swimming on the surface, we could see three pipes below us, running parallel to each other).

We picked a spot that was sort of in front of the stairs, dropped there in about 20 ft of water and followed the longest pipe that we found in the vicinity (the others ended closer to the beach than this one), when we got to the end we spread out, and with the really good visibility (about 30-35 ft) we were covering a lot of ground for the search. We swam through the sandy area until we hit algae-covered sand -- but we didn't find it. :idk:

Maybe it moved on to another beach in another area to continue puzzling divers? :eyebrow:

Well... Guy and I did go out on Saturday afternoon (we were at the Wharf # 2 cleanup in the morning -- which was lots of fun).

We had agreed before the dive that we would spend about 20 minutes in the search, that if we found it we would mark it and pick it up on the way back.

We tried to follow the directions as best as we could, but with so many pipes around who knows if we were following the correct one (at some point, while swimming on the surface, we could see three pipes below us, running parallel to each other).

We picked a spot that was sort of in front of the stairs, dropped there in about 20 ft of water and followed the longest pipe that we found in the vicinity (the others ended closer to the beach than this one), when we got to the end we spread out, and with the really good visibility (about 30-35 ft) we were covering a lot of ground for the search. We swam through the sandy area until we hit algae-covered sand -- but we didn't find it. :idk:

Maybe it moved on to another beach in another area to continue puzzling divers? :eyebrow:

The other possibility is that it was picked up by a class. Right in the sand about where I thought it might be was the sandscrew/anchor for a dive float, probably an AOW class as there was a surveyor's tape clipped off to the anchor. I looked up and saw about 6 divers at the surface, and while we were there another diver with a camera crossed us from right to left, towards the Big Pipe. So if it was in that area, someone would have seen it, especially if it was on open sand. After we'd looked around for the agreed upon time we headed out to the metridium fields.

Guy

Sadly, it now contains an inaccuracy, as the @%$#^&$ who tried to raise the Anchor moved it about 25 feet towards shore. When accosted by the Harbormaster, Marine Sanctuary people and the Coast Guard, they claimed they were only trying to uncover it to make more of it visible. I don't think the officials were impressed, but wasn't there to find out. I can only hope they were hit with a large fine.

Guy[/QUOTE]
I don't know what those gentlemen were really doing but there's been talk of moving the anchor back to where it was for a long time. It was at one time more NNEerly on some rocks. Some divers moved it to be more of an attraction onto the sand and so started sinking. At the rate it was sinking I'd imagine it would have been covered in the next couple of years.
Fred

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom