Recent Opinions On Air Integrated Computers For Technical Diving

Where does air integration fit in your diving?

• I have no use for air integration

Votes: 39 25.8%
  • I would use air integration but it is too expensive

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • I use air integration for rec diving but SPGs for technical diving

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I use air integration for technical diving with an SPG as a backup

Votes: 49 32.5%
  • I am interested in air integration but I am too comfortable to switch from my SPGs

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • I use air integration for all my diving

Votes: 42 27.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For all my diving, its analog gauges (OC/CC) .... If for some reason I needed to replace my fisherless Petrel2, It would probably end up being something WAI capable and put one on my CCR O2 reg (Currently a SM RB with a button gauge. It's not that hard, just inconvenient to swing the whole thing forward to see the gauge)

_R

I still had SPGs even when doing SM. Having it on my wrist was just so much more convenient.

Most people I know who are doing AI for tech still have an SPG. Some of you seem to think using AI means forgoing an SPG. Heck, no! I want the convenience factor, but also redundancy.

Even if it was 100% reliable, I would hate a data mask for OC, with the possible exception of a compass that I could easily turn on and off. Navigating with the NERD is awesome.

We only have so much neural bandwidth. I have no idea why an OC tech diver would want a constant SPG readout (or two) in their face for the entire dive.

I wasn't aware the data would be in one's face. Is that a fact or did it come from CNN?:wink: My impression was the data was more towards the top of the mask and one had to look "up" to read it. I suppose it would be possible to turn the display on and off by touching a switch or pad, no?

I like the idea of the Scubapro heads up product mounted on the mask. It's not AI but, compass and dive computer type data. I haven't tried it yet however.

I still had SPGs even when doing SM. Having it on my wrist was just so much more convenient.

Most people I know who are doing AI for tech still have an SPG. Some of you seem to think using AI means forgoing an SPG. Heck, no! I want the convenience factor, but also redundancy.

Thanks, your the kind of person I posted about. You'll spend the money for the new tech gear and carry extra gear. Even though if you had not spent the money you'd be carrying only your "redundant" SPG as your one and only because a hosed SPG doesn't need redundancy. Thank you, because of you and others like you someday divers will probably use only AI with the same confidence we use hosed SPGs.

I wasn't aware the data would be in one's face. Is that a fact or did it come from CNN?:wink:

I don't get it? CNN?

I was just saying that in a mask with a HUD display, you have that SPG info fed into your field of view, and since it's something that a tech diver doesn't need constant (or even frequent) access to, I didn't understand the point of it.

I don't get it? CNN?

I was just saying that in a mask with a HUD display, you have that SPG info fed into your field of view, and since it's something that a tech diver doesn't need constant (or even frequent) access to, I didn't understand the point of it.

IMO and many others CNN is a stranger to facts
I think I was responding to a post expressing the convenience of AI. What could be better than a heads up display was the point. Like I posted it has a lot of potential but not quite up to my standards for reliability and safety, yet like other diving tech.

I think I was responding to a post expressing the convenience of AI. What could be more convenience than a heads up display was the point

OK, got it! Sorry, not enough coffee yet. :D

Yes, the HUD definitely is more convenient. I guess I was saying that for tech divers, more convenient isn't always better.

For example, it would definitely be convenient for me to be able to get text messages while diving. It would be convenient for the HUD to display a countdown timer to my next required hydro date for my tanks. It would be convenient for the display to show the time of day, so that if my family was waiting for me for dinner I could adjust my dive profile accordingly.

Bandwidth is a limited resource. Especially for tech diving, I think that it's best to limit distractions.

I wasn't aware the data would be in one's face. Is that a fact or did it come from CNN?:wink: My impression was the data was more towards the top of the mask and one had to look "up" to read it. I suppose it would be possible to turn the display on and off by touching a switch or pad, no?

I like the idea of the Scubapro heads up product mounted on the mask. It's not AI but, compass and dive computer type data. I haven't tried it yet however.
Yes Aeris and Oceanic made one I think and it had a screen in the upper right side of the right side. you looked up to 2 oclock and read all your info with buttons on the top of the mask. did not like it and could not focus on the screen. it is sitting in a drawer somewhere along with perhaps up to a half dozen AI xmitters from various DC's. I would not give them away for fear that someone would get hurt with one from inaccuracy.

I am using it on everything. Singles, doubles, sidemount, CCR.
On the comments about breaking off in a cave, how do you have your regulators routed?

Mine are routed like this for both doubles and my backmount CCR rack so the transmitters face down and out. No way for them to get knocked off.... I use both with doubles just to avoid changing regulators as my CCR rack is not manifolded. On the CCR I use it for dilout, not for O2 or inflation. If I am diving single hose, single tank backmount, the regulator setup is essentially identical to the left post, so the transmitter is protected, and on the Argonaut Kraken that I use for double hose, the transmitter is oriented in the same position *aimed at the left hip*. I will say that as the transmitter batteries get a bit low, the opposite post can sometimes drop, but if you pick your hand up to your general head region it picks it up again.
spregs.jpg

Sidemount like @JohnnyC is done poorly by the majority of people but when they're routed properly the transmitters make a HUGE improvement to convenience, especially when scootering in a cave because checking spg's is a two-handed operation.

Why was I against it a few years ago and for it now? Prior to a few years ago we had to make a concession with the computer itself. To get WAI, you had to spend the same amount of money on a good computer *think Petrel*, but it wasn't suitable for technical diving so it wasn't just the cost of the transmitter *I don't discount the cost of a SPG and hose as I think you should keep a spare*, but you also had a computer that sucked. Now, we don't have to make a concession on the quality of the dive computer so the increased cost is substantially less than it used to be and I think it's a pretty significant improvement in convenience.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom