Recent OOA incident in Cozumel, and questions for the experts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting comments...I am currently in Cozumel and just finished a week of diving. Because I just completed my divemaster cert., I was paying attention in a different way to how the briefings were conducted prior to dives. I understand that briefings are exactly that..."briefings". However, I believe that many briefings are too brief. If I ever have the opportunity to do a briefing, I want to be thorough...if I bore a few divers, that's OK with me. I think that what is included in a briefing should be revised and upgraded...the briefing should be thorough and given at a time when divers will feel as if there is enough time to ask questions. Most briefings that I received were somewhat rushed and very close to the actual time of the dive. Yes...I realize this may be the norm, but I'm in favor of changing the norm.
Although these divers were certified and are supposed to be responsible for their dive plans and procedures, I don't think this is very realistic for newly certified divers. In all honesty, I think that getting certified is too easy. It can also then be easy to think, "I am now certified so I can handle myself".
I do not understand why these divers were "provided the opportunity" to do a deep drift dive. I think that the dive operation does hold some responsibility in this case.

Most briefings that I received were somewhat rushed and very close to the actual time of the dive. Yes...I realize this may be the norm, but I'm in favor of changing the norm.
Ok Koyote, what would you add to a typical Coz briefing that is not taught in OW?

If you were on a small, fast boat typical to many Coz Ops, there was probably too much engine noise to say much before arriving at the site, and then there is typically a rush to mount up and drop before the boat moves too far on the drift. But what would you add? The boat can be repositioned.

Although these divers were certified and are supposed to be responsible for their dive plans and procedures, I don't think this is very realistic for newly certified divers. In all honesty, I think that getting certified is too easy. It can also then be easy to think, "I am now certified so I can handle myself".
It sounded like the divers should have been on a different boat, but matching divers to boats every morning is challenging. They blew off their OW training which covered staying with your buddy in case you need help and monitoring air supply. I generally suggest newbies hire a private DM for their first ocean divers and this seem like a classic example of that need.

Reactions: B_D
Folks, we live in an imperfect world, and I think this incident represents the 'perfect storm' (divers too inexperienced to understand/embarassed to admit fear or weakness), training agencies/dive shops selling quickie certs deceiving people into actually believing a handful of pool/quarry dives makes them 'certified', a third world 'anything goes' culture (not unique to Mexico). I too have seen this pattern fairly often, and the reality is don't expect anything to change 'cause we moaned about it here on SB!

I've done my fair share of baby sitting newbies, sometimes by accident, sometimes pre planned ( I've actually had boat captains/crews request me to buddy with newbies or even experienced divers that wanted to do a dive that nobody else wanted to do (like night dives) and the captain volunteered me to 'take one for the team' to help out one of their guests. I've been on trips where the husband of a husband and wife team didn't want to do a particular dive, so the husband would ask me to take the wife out on a dive, he joked I was a shark magnet and the wife wanted to see some sharks....and we certainly did! Last August I spent a week in Cozumel (20 dives), and intervened to help out a nice young couple (in for the day off a cruise ship, 1st ocean dives, certified 'quarry divers') who suddenly realized 'we ain't in Kansas anymore!' Their 1st dive was pretty much a cluster, deep wall dive, respectable current, the lady was totally 'deer in the headlights' that 1st dive. I intervened before the start of the 2nd dive, the DM's went with my suggestion on her lead requirements and let me choose the dive site (Las Palmas) and the 2nd dive was WAY better for the young couple, they were VERY appreciative. I've done my fair share of pending accident preventions, including catching a 70-something clueless little old lady as she mindlessly drifted down past 130' on a 7000' vertical wall in Turks & Caicos. Bottom line, I don't bother b*tching about the sorry world we live in, the industry and economics ain't gonna change, be helpful where and when you can, pass on the good Karma and get over it!

"Ok Koyote, what would you add to a typical Coz briefing that is not taught in OW?"

Hi DandyDon,

I'm pretty new to scuba board and as I said, I just completed my Divemaster certification...so right now I'm really beginning to observe how Divemasters do their job. It's a great learning experience for me and also interesting. I have been a teacher and/or coach for 25 years (community college). Perhaps it's because I'm an experienced teacher that my inclination is to notice delivery, technique, etc. regarding what our dive professionals do with their students and clientele.

In a Cozumel briefing, I think that I would definitely ask how many in the group had participated in drift diving. This would give me a much better idea as to what I might expect underwater. I would also adjust my briefing based upon their responses. I would also ask divers if they remembered the depth that they were certified to dive at...and reinforce that they abide by that "rule". I would ask divers if they knew how and when to use their signaling device, etc., etc. Yes...this could end up being a long briefing, however it could result in greater diver confidence and might even prevent a mishap. I think it's very important to know who is in your group prior to leading them on a dive.
Also, because of noise, various languages spoken, etc. I would be certain to ask, "Were you able to hear me? Did you understand what I said?"
I realize that some may already be laughing because this is supposed to be a "briefing"...but I stand by my original statement in that I would want to be thorough.
Honestly, if I gave the typical briefing for a dive in a college class...well, I would probably have been found liable many times over. Bottom line, I believe in being as preventative as possible...it's been drilled into me by virtue of my career.
I realize that I may not be a "fit" in the dive industry becaise my training as an educator and coach has been very different. But perhaps I'll get the chance someday to find out if someone might prefer my style. Also, I do realize that my perspective is only based on my limited experience. In my experience, I have not seen a very thorough approach in various respects.

Thanks Koyote. Some good ideas there. Not viable in the real world maybe, but good ones nonetheless. I'd like to see first time ocean divers start with a boat diving course that would include much of that, but that's dreaming. I always suggest hiring private DMs for the first ocean dive, but the Ops can't suggest that as it'd seem like upselling/gouging - driving business away.

Too, if Padi OW depth rules were observed in Coz, much of the diving wouldn't happen. But then when you leave the US, keep in mind that you are out of the US. :eyebrow:

One Op there does insist on everyone keeping their regs in their mouth until boarding, and excellent idea I often suggest myself - but they got slammed in the Coz forum for that. :idk:

Good luck on your DM work. :thumb:

If you dive enough in Cozumel, you see these things. One should try to be positive, and help in any way you can.

If you dive enough in Cozumel, you see these things. One should try to be positive, and help in any way you can.
Yep, we try to help the newbies that end up on our boats when the Op doesn't have enough to put out a newbie boat.

The dive op should have assessed their skill level upon arrival and should have never let them dive a deep drift dive as their firstocean dive. Something tells me this couple was very anxious (and tachycardic). A high heart rate and anxiety don't mesh well with a single tank and 80+ fsw.

The dive op should have assessed their skill level upon arrival and should have never let them dive a deep drift dive as their firstocean dive. Something tells me this couple was very anxious (and tachycardic). A high heart rate and anxiety don't mesh well with a single tank and 80+ fsw.
Sure, in a perfect world. In a real world, things are made to work, sometimes better than others. Rule !: cover your ass. :eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom