Recent Lake Pleasant conditions/reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm baaack. And what a day to get wet for the first time in three months. Azdiver23 (Josh B) and I met at Vista Point at around 9:00am and there were a ton of divers already in the water. We ran into John Flanders and he said there were at least three classes going on with about a dozen divers each. Obviously the rain was kept away by the sheer force of will of three dozen divers. There were so many people there that Josh and I were parked about a quarter mile from where we would get into the water. Dangit! We mosied over to Spring Canyon Landing.

SCL was a hoot. Easy in and out. We parked right at the water's edge. It was great. We geared up and I'm happy to say it takes me just as long as ever to get into the water (sorry Josh). I brought both my 7 mil and my drysuit figuring if it was raining I would dive wet but the rain stayed up in the clouds so I donned the skull suit, kind of. I had a little trouble even getting into my undergarment. The shoulder is healing fine but my mobility is still a bit limited. Thanks to Josh for wrenching my arm into my undergarment and drysuit (appologies to my surgeon and physical therapist).

On the first dive we were going to skirt along the right side of the boat ramp and find the rail, then follow it down. We started out that way but when we got to the trench I couldn't resist it. I motioned to Josh that I wanted to follow the trench and he agreed so down we went. I was really in the moment. I didn't have as hard a time as I thought I would keeping ahead of my bouyancy changes. Guess it's like falling off a bike, or something like that.

During our SI, several folks showed up with 2-man sailboats. Gee, diving and a floor show. Entertainment value aside, Josh and I helped some of them keep their sailboats under control from the wind while their partner ran the boat trailer back to the car. After the sailboats cleared out we got back into the water. This time we made it to the rail and back.

Welcome back, Steve. Hopefully your arm is better now. I wanted to attend Vista Point on Sat, but eventually I decided to give up. I may try to go there today (Sun).

Where is Spring Canyon Landing? Is there a buoy that marks the location of the old dam?

Attached, please find the link for an underwater video clip I've made at VP this morning:
giladshay 15 4 12 - YouTube=
Water temp: 15c/59f. Buttom temp: 14c/57f. Vis: 60'. Light conditions: Great! No need to turn on any light.
Really enjoyed my dive.

Those conditions are so much better than when I got certified up there last year. We had visibility about to the end of my arm. I gotta find someone who wants to go up there soon and drive up to dive.

Where is Spring Canyon Landing? Is there a buoy that marks the location of the old dam?

Spring Canyon Landing is east of Vista Point below the 4-lane north boat ramp. It's a pretty good spot until the weather warms up and the boaters are really active. Then you have to be out of there before the alcohol kicks in. We were there a couple of years ago and the boaters literally ran us off.

If anyone is going to the lake on the weekend over the next few weeks and doesn't mind having a relatively new diver tagging along I'd love to join you. None of my friends want to go anywhere but San Carlos once or twice a year and I'm tired of not being underwater.

There is a group that goes out on Thursdays around 5 PM ish. We meet at Vista Point. If you are intrested, PM me and I'll send you the details

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom