Recent Lake Pleasant conditions/reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The point is the "finger" that sticks out into the lake just north of Waddell Cove. However, there is a cove between Honeymoon Cove and Waddell Cove that is traditionally referred to as Vista Point. Smack in the middle of that cove is a picnic table (on the shore) that most people dive from.

Right now the lake is down considerably. There is a football field (approx) between the parking lot and waterline. All downhill/uphill. It is hikeable, but no fun.

Thank you!

I have an email since then that we'll be going off Desert Tortoise Road, instead. At least I can back the car down and drop gear. :coolingoff:

I'm looking at this map: Lake Pleasant 11 x 17.

Where is Vista Point? I see an "HC" sound of Honeymoon Cove -- a friend thinks that is Vista Point.

Anyone?:idk:

This may help-although it won't help the viz. Winter can't come quick enough for diving Pleasant. BTW this pictures is pretty much at full pool-it looks waaay differnt with the current water levels.

Lake%20Pleasant%20South%20Dive%20Sites.jpg

This may help-although it won't help the viz. Winter can't come quick enough for diving Pleasant. BTW this pictures is pretty much at full pool-it looks waaay differnt with the current water levels.

Super! :clapping: :hugs: Thank you so very much!!!

I don't understand the comment on the vis . . . . . forgive my ignorance of the area.

I assume that the vis sucks during the rainy season when the gully washers pour silt into the lake . . . What does the winter have to do for it?

OMG, I just need to go dry.

I don't understand the comment on the vis . . . . . forgive my ignorance of the area.

I assume that the vis sucks during the rainy season when the gully washers pour silt into the lake . . . What does the winter have to do for it?

OMG, I just need to go dry.

Typically, the best viz is in late winter through early spring then gradually deteriorates during the summer into the fall.

There are lots of theories. Some attribute it to the bottom structure. I suspect it is mainly due to the microscopic organic matter that rapidly grows as the water warms up. Much of this growth is stiffled as the water cools. Also, after the summer irrigation demand subsides, the lake fills again with some natural runoff but alot of the water is pumped into the lake via the CAP which is clean and clear. Factor in quagga mussles, who are effective filter feeders, and Lake Pleasant eventually turns into a very good lake for scuba diving-as far as viz is concerned.

February of 2009 was the best I personally remember. We could actually see the bottom of boats near Vista Point at depths of 90'. Unfortunately, the best viz usually occurs during the months when the water is coldest. But that what drysuits are for. Now I actually prefer to dive in the winter.

mg

Now I actually prefer to dive in the winter.

mg

:shakehead: You poor sick puppy . . .

:joke: :hugs: :D

Another aspect about the increased visibility at Pleasant related to water temperature is that there is alot more stabiltiy during the winter months. While the temps can change by as much as 40F from the surface to at depth in the summer time, there is very little change, if any, at any given depth during the late winter/early spring.

It is very unlikely that most particulate matter will share the same specific gravity as the water at any given or a very narrow temperature. As a result, these microscopic particles will either sink to the bottom of float to the top (unless there are conditions which stir things up). However, in the summer with the combination of additional various organic and inorganic materials present, and a broad temperature range, it is much more likely that some of this matter will share the same specific gravity causing the particulates to suspend. That is why the viz will vary in layers at different depths in the summer.

mg

Anyone going diving at lake pleasant Tomorrow (Sunday) or Monday? Looking for a dive buddy....

:shakehead: You poor sick puppy . . .

:joke: :hugs: :D

Winter is the best season for diving at the lake. Fewer boats. No jetskis to speak of. The biggest worry is getting knocked in the head by the keel of a sailboat during a 10' deco stop. The vis is great.

Back
Top Bottom