Recent Find, Mk5 With Late 109?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diverspoint

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hello,

I think I recently found and bought something rare.

View media item 200183
I think some people really like what they see, but I am most curious about the 109. It is matted, but it does not say balanced on the front, nor MK10.

I think this is a 109 that was maybe going to be used for a balanced 156, but they omitted to put the decal blank on. It has a few scratches, not bad.

The other nice thing is the MK5 with DIN. I think it is original.

Anyone have any input?

with that style adjustment knob, it's a "late model" and "satin" was available in 1990-97 (listed as "rare")... "BA" logo tended to wear off - mine has... round holes in the diaphragm cover are also later year indicator..... might be "parts & pieces" as it's with a much older MK-5.... open it up and see of the poppet is the balanced one....

BTW - nice MK-5..... SPEC MK-5 1978-79

The 200 BAR DIN connector and the satin chrome makes me think they may be European release regulators. Is the exhaust tee the smaller hard plastic/rubber style. The 156 could also have the balanced poppet with a rivet in the center of the seat.

I did't know the logo could wear off, I thought it was done while chroming. And yes, it could very well be a MK X dual balanced second stage. I founf it in Europe, for about €25 for the set. Going to open the second stage today to see what is inside.

Great find. If you remove the adjustment knob, you can easily see whether it is balanced (spring pad)or not (balance chamber). The you may have to remove the spring to see if it has a current version of the poppet (white plastic is good). The older version of the 109 plastic is off-white.

Assuming you want a yoke connector in MEX, you can probably swap that din with someone and recover your $30 purchase price to boot.

It looks like it is a balanced. T ook out the adjuster, and the spring pad and spring came out easy. Then looked and saw a thin white part, and I assume it is a balanced.

And no, I will start using it as a Din, as our compressor station will only fill to 3000 anyway. Just need some dine valves. But I want some of those for my MK25's as well.

A spring pad would indicate an unbalanced version. The spring pad is only a couple mm thick. A balance chamber as more like 15mm long.

terminology: that is not a spring pad, it is a balance chamber.

FWIW - I have them in both black and white.

IMG_1879.JPG

156 / G250 / G200B Left , 109 / G200 Right

Back
Top Bottom