Reccommendations Please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matt215

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been diving with a Uwatec Smart com console computer for the last several years. Latelt its had some issues and whenI took it in to be repaired the shop said that there have been lots of problems with this computer. So it looks like I may be in the market for a new computer. Whats a good wrist mounted computer? What is really reliable and easy to use?

I've had experience with the Cressi Archimedes 2. Very simple to use, big face and easy to read underwater. I've also used a few different Oceanic computers and really liked them as well. Do you have any specific features you want to have?

Jim

The Smart Com has had a lot of problems. If you are looking for another air integrated compuer, you could go to the Uwatec Smart Z or Smart Tec. These are great computers that have not had problems like the Smart Com. If you don't like those, you need to think about something besides Uwatec. I don't know what is going on with them, but Uwatec seems to be discontinuing good products (i.e. Smart Pro) and replacing it with total crap (i.e. Aladin Prime).

Loving my Smart Tec....very flexible- gas mix wise...and thank god some of the warning alarms like the "exertion" alarm can be changed/turned off....

Oh yeah, if you own an Apple, you need the J-Trak software, which isn't included (but is a free download). You will also need an infrared reader, which isn't an issue with Windows machines, but is for Apple machines re: compatibility.....

good point. i just bought a mac recently. are most computers not compatable with macs? which ones are?

There's probably a Mac equivalent of whatever software is included with the dive computer you buy. Just do some research before you buy it....

As for the Aeris XR1, the website says there is no PC interface for it......

I have been using my suunto vytec DS for about 30dives and have found it to be brilliant really easy to use and it has the optional gas integration which is niice if you don't want it straight away but want to upgrade later. I have buddies who use other computers that they swear by such as the suunto gekko and vyper and various oceanics As for the download software I have heard negetives about both oceanic and suunto software but so far I have had no problems with my suunto software and find it a really good tool for logging my dives. At the end of the day its a personal decision and you need to consider what features you want i.e. watch or hockey puck style? gas integration, gas switching if you let us no a few more specifics about what you are looking for we may be able to provide you with some better advice.

For ease of use and large displays, Oceanic computers cannot be beat in my opinion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom