Rec EXP wing suitable for singles and doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JDMerk

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm looking into purchasing a new wing and will be diving double AL80's and HP100's as both doubles and singles. It would be nice if I could get by with just one wing but that may not be possible.
I am considering the Dive Rite Rec EXP because they promote it as both a singles and doubles wing OR I would buy a #30 Halcyon Eclipse AND a #40 Halcyon Evolve.

Does anybody have any experience with the new Dive Rite Rec EXP? Particularly diving it with doubles AND singles? Is it lacking in any way? I feel it might be too big for a single tank setup...

Don't do it....you will end up with a compromise in either case. Too bug for singles, and too small for doubles.

If you do want a wing to do double duty, make sure to spring the extra fifty beans for a single tank adapter. Otherwise your cylinder will not lie straight across the backplate's bolt heads and you will roll in the water.

If I had it to do over again, I would have gone with two separate rigs from the start.

Don't do it....you will end up with a compromise in either case. Too bug for singles, and too small for doubles.

I agree that it looks big for singles, but you really think it is too small for doubles? I guess it would depend on the tank size.

The dive rite (dual purpose) wing is bigger than the halcyon doubles wing I was considering to compliment the singles with.

Buy a singles wing and a separate doubles wing. In the end, you'll be happier (and will probably save yourself some cash, too).

I tried the rec exp at dutch springs during their demo day. You should try it out, I felt it was more of a singles wing than a doubles wing.

I don't know any wing that would fit singles AND doubles, the smallest for doubles would be the 40# IMO, and it would cause you drag probles with singles and air will be traped at the upper curve, causing you trouble to deflate. Smaller, IMHO, would not be enough for doubles.

Greetings JDMerk I have done just as you have said. I have used the REC wing for single 80's, 100's, and double 95's. The single tank adapter for my BPW rig works very nicely for singles with the REC wing. For doubles I removed the bungee from around the wing. It is possible to use the wing both ways.
However with that being said you should always bungee a 50lb lift bag onto your BC just in case of a failure. IF you are diving wet this is a MUST! I have had a failure while diving dry with my double 95's. I managed with my DS to get to the dock and repair the valve. I own two REC wings and recommend them often to divers. I have seen many tanks of different sizes used as singles and would not push it beyond 95's doubled up.
On Dive Rites web site the REC wing is rated for doubles up to 95's so your 80's or HP 100's should be ok. If you want contact them and ask. They are on facebook now.
Do some research and go for it.
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom