Rec EXP wing suitable for singles and doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Facing similar dilemma as JDMerk. only in Europe.
Using steel 15l (around 100 cf) Tank in cold murky waters. Have "inheritet" Transpac with travel wing, but doen't provide enough lift.
EXP Venture wing comes to mind, however, there is a good chance to add double 12l Steel tanks.

How floppy is the new Rec EXP wing with single tank?
Unlike the old rec wing, it has clips to attach the wing to the backplate/harness claiming to avoid the taco effect NWGratefulDiver mentioned.

I ended up buying one of the older rec wings...with the bungie system. Dunno how it handles single tanks since I have only dove it with double al80's however it handles them great.
As to your question...I don't see why it wouldn't be perfectly adequate on a single setup. Ideal? Possibly not but for my money it makes for a perfectly adequate dual purpose wing.

I ended up buying one of the older rec wings...with the bungie system. Dunno how it handles single tanks since I have only dove it with double al80's however it handles them great.
As to your question...I don't see why it wouldn't be perfectly adequate on a single setup. Ideal? Possibly not but for my money it makes for a perfectly adequate dual purpose wing.

I think it's a great wing for someone who predominantly dives double 80's and occasionally dives singles. Not a great wing for someone who dives singles now and into the future but wants to have the ability to dive doubles later. Just too much extra material flapping in the breeze.

It's a "passable" wing for heavy steel singles. But it's far from ideal, and in fact somewhat less than "perfectly acceptable" in my book. If you're diving it with a single AL 80 it borders on ridiculous.

opened a thread in teh DR forum asking for difference between rec wing and rec exp wing in regards to heavy steel singles (100s).

You're view that its less than "perfectly acceptable" for singles is shared by others too. Is that primarily because of the extra flapping material / taco or extra drag due to larger (uncessary) footprint of the rec wing over say the venture wing?

I think it's a great wing for someone who predominantly dives double 80's and occasionally dives singles. Not a great wing for someone who dives singles now and into the future but wants to have the ability to dive doubles later. Just too much extra material flapping in the breeze.

It's a "passable" wing for heavy steel singles. But it's far from ideal, and in fact somewhat less than "perfectly acceptable" in my book. If you're diving it with a single AL 80 it borders on ridiculous.

I have two rigs, one for singles and one for doubles. The rec wing is on my doubles (al80's rig). Since I have not had it terribly long these are the only tanks I have used it with.
That being said the singles I and the previous poster were talking about diving were steel 100's in my case I own steel Faber M series (the heavy ones) tanks for my singles dives. As I said I have never dove a rec wing on that cylinder however I have no reason to think it wouldn't be perfectly adequate on it. Overkill...maybe, ideal...I doubt it, but absolutely fine.

This wing is Dive Rites most popular model, they sell more of these than any other wing and most are going exclusively to single tank divers. I have seen many divers in the water with this wing on singles of varying size and they seem to do just fine, they just tend to bungie it up a little more...that's why Dive Rite put the bungies on there in the first place. To say this setup is ridiculous is a little "ridiculous".

Its a good wing and more adaptable than just about any other...I never said it was Ideal though.

To say this setup is ridiculous is a little "ridiculous".

Using a doubles wing with 51lbs of lift with a single AL80?

I own a Rec Wing and have dove it with a single AL80 (I bought into the whole "good for singles or doubles" bit before I knew better...) so I'll stand by my statement.

Dive it that way yourself instead of "guessing" about it - you'll see.

Using a doubles wing with 51lbs of lift with a single AL80?

I own a Rec Wing and have dove it with a single AL80 (I bought into the whole "good for singles or doubles" bit before I knew better...) so I'll stand by my statement.

Dive it that way yourself instead of "guessing" about it - you'll see.

Ok...fair enough. I am willing to put my money where my mouth is and dive my rec wing with a single al80 today and report on the outcome. But before I do, could you define what exactly you mean my "ridiculous"? Do you mean to say that it is not possible to dive this configuration or that it will be laughable to those who see me in the water?
Could you quantify "ridiculous" so I can more precisely test to see if it is indeed "ridiculous"? What specifically should I be looking for as an indicator?
If I go to the pool/quarry and dive this setup and conclude that it is not ridiculous, what then? Can we simply agree to say that it is "not ideal"

You might dive it with a single tank and think it's fine, but if you did 20 dives with a really small single wing, something that's compact, streamlined and easy to vent completely without moving around, and then went back to the rec wing, you'd almost certainly notice a huge difference. That's what everyone's talking about.

You might dive it with a single tank and think it's fine, but if you did 20 dives with a really small single wing, something that's compact, streamlined and easy to vent completely without moving around, and then went back to the rec wing, you'd almost certainly notice a huge difference. That's what everyone's talking about.

You've nailed it. When I switched from the Rec wing to a dedicated doubles wing (Halcyon Eclipse) and dedicate singles wing (Oxycheq Mach V) I realized just how much better "the right tool for the job" approach was.

If I go to the pool/quarry and dive this setup and conclude that it is not ridiculous, what then? Can we simply agree to say that it is "not ideal"

Nah, I'll still ridicule it! Therefore, it will be an object of ridicule and - by definition - ridiculous!

:D

But seriously, as mentioned above, it's a good wing for a person who is going to mostly dive doubles and occasionally singles. But semantics aside, it would be ridiculous/suboptimal/far-from-ideal/whatever, as part of a predominantly singles rig. I know, because I dove it that way for more than a year.

I just purchased a Dive Rite BC that came with absolutely no assembly instruction. Is this a coomon experience, or am I expecting too much?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom