Rec diving philosophies? (vs. tec DIR/Hogarthian/etc...)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I took Fundies when I only had 25 dives. Did not pass, but it was far from a waste of my time or money, and i came out of it not remotely demoralized.

I had about 75 dives when I took Fundies, had taken Essentials and applied that training to my everyday diving, plus a serious training dive right before Fundies. While the class was a great refresher on lots of the basics, plus I got some help fine-tuning my doubles rig, it wasn't quite the life-changing experience it was for others. It allowed us to focus on finer points of the class, and that was good. But I question whether I made Gideon work as hard as I could have :wink: .

Peace,
Greg

I didn't really mean to come across critical, and I empathize with frustration.

I talked to Bob and Errol about the idea of making Primer the entry class (in other words, no Fundies until Primer) but it doesn't work, because some people come into the GUE system with a lot of mentoring beforehand, and some have had extensive training elsewhere. If you are unsure of your readiness, I think Primer is a great place to start -- either that, or if you are in a place where it is possible, find a trained diver to do some diving with, and get some mentoring and some feedback. We do have a thread here where folks have listed themselves as willing to do that, although I don't think anyone has added themselves to the list in a long time.

In my opinion, the single tank people should go to primer and Fundies should be doubles "tech pass" only. This would avoid potential for "mixed goals" A few people who might rec pass fundies and be able to get a tech pass upgrade would be in a bit of lurch but that's also possible to remedy with an abbreviated Primer-to-techpass upgrade.

I think that the "Idea of fundies" not fundies is the problem. The division comes when new people are exposed to the system via the internet or by someone that they casually know. The idea of DIR and the notion to take fundies follows. In my opinion that is ill advised. It would take a truly gifted diver to have their gear rearranged and tweaked, shown new skills, put under stress, and expect to pass. Waste of time? prolly not. Pass? doubtfull.
The opposite is true from DIR hotspots. People who get introduced to the system, dive with people who practice the system, understand the skills and the system, then take fundies. Those divers have a much higher chance of pasing the first time or shortly there after with a re-check.
The conclusion is that you need to start your own team/DIR hotspot or do not bother with the system because you can not be a team of one.
Eric

I think that the "Idea of fundies" not fundies is the problem. The division comes when new people are exposed to the system via the internet or by someone that they casually know. The idea of DIR and the notion to take fundies follows. In my opinion that is ill advised. It would take a truly gifted diver to have their gear rearranged and tweaked, shown new skills, put under stress, and expect to pass. Waste of time? prolly not. Pass? doubtfull.
The opposite is true from DIR hotspots. People who get introduced to the system, dive with people who practice the system, understand the skills and the system, then take fundies. Those divers have a much higher chance of pasing the first time or shortly there after with a re-check.
The conclusion is that you need to start your own team/DIR hotspot or do not bother with the system because you can not be a team of one.
Eric

I cannot agree more.

My plan was to create that team/DIR hotspot in Massachusetts after passing the Fundies and having at least some practical exposure to the system.

Now it is plan B (which should have been plan A), getting folks together first to have someone to pass the Fundies with.

Any DIR/GUE divers in MA, NH, southern ME contemplating to come out of hiding?

Richard, I agree with you, although I don't believe Primer introduces bag shooting, which I think is an excellent skill for recreational divers to have.

waterpirate, I agree that you cannot be a team of one. But I do think that there is utility in seeing what a diver CAN do, in terms of precise buoyancy control, positioning, and propulsion, and that someone who has been instructed in these things, regardless of the degree of skill he manages to achieve DURING the class, can continue to practice those things on his subsequent diving, regardless of who it is that he dives with. And mastering those skills just makes diving more fun. But being held to tech pass standards, when you are making the leap from standard recreational instruction, with no prior coaching, is going to be frustrating and even counterproductive.

I too am in need of a few buddies to take Fundies with. I will be going for a Rec pass fisrt so I will feel less pressured and just upgrade to a tech pass later (granting I pass the Rec). Without having others who feel the same way, I would be a "team of one" and that's no fun...though I kind of feel that way now.

I do not disparage anyone for the gumption " to go it alone " . However I would be concerned that the skills I was introduced to would be corrupted over time and morph into " not exactly " without the continued ongoing support/ mentoring of someone dialed in allready in regard to the system.
Eric

Just another thought.
As a purely Rec. Diver (I could not pass the swim test, so there is no point in doing a Fundies class). I regard "reasonable" trim & buoyancy, using an SMB, helicopter turns, teamwork, & "recovering" a "non-responsive" diver as Rec. skills.And yes I regard keeping "diving fit" essential to enjoy my diving.

Genuinely curious: how do you reconcile

Just another thought.
(I could not pass the swim test, so there is no point in doing a Fundies class).

with

And yes I regard keeping "diving fit" essential to enjoy my diving.
?

The swim test for GUE-F really doesn't require a high level of fitness. I'd know, I was in terrible shape when I took the class and managed to pass. Fundies actually encouraged me to get in better shape and focus more on my health. My diving (and every day life) has since seen positive consequences.

Back
Top Bottom