Rec diving philosophies? (vs. tec DIR/Hogarthian/etc...)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boyoconnor

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm a novice diver (1 year+) with only a handful of real dives under my belt. Beyond cert I've taken Advanced Open Water, Altitude, Nitrox. In hindsight I feel like these courses together have prepared me to *begin* diving. Real practice with buoyancy and attitude, making all the big mistakes under controlled circumstances.

I've read the articles on tec diving philosophies - Hogarthian, DIR, etc. If I were to get into tec diving someday I can definitely see the value. But what about the rec divers?

The one thing I've struggled with is finding some nice concise info and source of ideas like "here's a suggestion on how to mount accessory XYZ". What works, what doesn't, and discussion about those things.

Example: Dangling straps and hoses. My BC came with 4 adjustment straps that, once properly adjusted, just dangle there. I'd attempt to reach a dump valve and inevitably I'd grab one of these. I've started modifying the strap D-rings so they hold close to the vest, and shortening extra long straps to fit me. I've spent hours practicing with different computer locations, retractors, clips, etc until I've found one that works. I've spent freaking WEEKS thinking about the best place to stow a safety whistle. (Still haven't decided.)

In short: simplifying, refining and optimizing my equipment so when I'm down under I don't have to think about it. I must be on to something because I've bumped into a number of folks who have said - wow that's a really tidy setup. But I feel like it's just a beginning.

Seems like there's a rec diving philosophy in there somewhere, and endless knowledge on fine tuning your rig I'd like to see written down. Does this exist already, if not where should it live, and are there others with similar interests?

Planning Carmel, Tel Aviv, Big Sur and Catalina dives this year. Can't wait to get back under water! :)

- Dack

DIR (as taught by GUE) would certainly meet your interest in streamlining, as it applies very well to recreational diving. *Many* of the divers I know who have received GUE/DIR training do nothing other than "recreational" dives. It's simply great training that works across a wide range of diving.

Your efforts to streamline your BCD are admirable and demonstrate a very positive outlook towards improving your overall diving. The problems you face are quite common and result from some manufacturers neglecting the important issue of streamlining when designing their equipment.

I don't necessarily think that complete philosophies can, or should, be copied directly from rec to tec diving. But certainly there are many invaluable considerations that can be translated or amended from the tec community to improve safety and performance in rec diving.

Seems like there's a rec diving philosophy in there somewhere, and endless knowledge on fine tuning your rig I'd like to see written down. Does this exist already, if not where should it live, and are there others with similar interests?

There are few a philosophies of rec diving, but the most prevalent seems to be "anything goes." DIR is a very standardized approach to and philosophy of diving which includes a secure and clean setup (alternately stated: not anything goes). "If it doesn't feel like fun, then it's not. If it's not clean and simple, it's not Hogarthian. If it's not Hogarthian, it's not right. If you're not doing it right, don't do it at all!"

However, that doesn't stop you from applying DIR principles to whatever gear you use, which includes having everything neat and hidden away such that it doesn't encumber the diver yet is accessible when needed, and whatnot.

Planning ... Catalina dives this year. Can't wait to get back under water! :)

I dove the east end of Catalina yesterday. It was gorgeous. Contact me when you are in town. I'd be happy to discuss the DIR philosophy with you in person and follow it up with a dive or four.

My advice would be to look to the DIR methods for gear rigging. Copy what you can and throw out what doesn't work for you. I've spent years playing with my gear and have "the best" rigging for my type of diving, but it honestly looks like nobody else's gear. Simple things like the DIR waist knife, the DIR type of necklace, clipping off the spg. avoiding metal to metal connections, no suicide clips... come to mind immediately and are applicable to many recreational configurations.

If you are as anal as you sound, you will probably gravitate toward this type of diving anyway.. and I mean that in a nice way..

I did my open water check out dives in whatever rec setup we rented from the shop.

After that I had the same kinds of questions about answers for how to rig gear up, and wound up doing post-OW dive #1 completely kitted out with a recreational DIR setup.

Only problem with doing that is that I keep getting sucked into cave and tech diving more and more, when I started out with absolutely no intention of ever doing that....

- Dack

It's totally fine to adopt the diving philosophies and configurations early on. If it makes sense to you by all means pursue it and seek out the training. In the Monterey/SF Bay area we have several UTD and GUE instructors who can get you started on that path.

Look in the Norcal forum for class reports on the UTD Essentials classes or the GUE Fundamentals classes. These will provide you with a good solid foundation for your diving... be it technical or recreational.

Equipment Configuration | Global Underwater Explorers
You could also contact Eric Sedletzky, ZKY on Scubaboard. He's in your neck of the woods and will show you a completely different way to dive, even more streamlined than DIR.

I think most important is to be used to your gear and have everything always on the same places. So you can handle it automatic without much thinking. But the exact way might be for everyone a bit different.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom