Rec diving philosophies? (vs. tec DIR/Hogarthian/etc...)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think most important is to be used to your gear and have everything always on the same places. So you can handle it automatic without much thinking. But the exact way might be for everyone a bit different.

to take this a step further... wouldn't it be easy if everyone had their gear rigged in a standardized way? That way you know exactly where everything is on everyone you dive with?

If you move into tech, you will almost certainly exchange your bc for a plate which will resolve a lot of problems. There are a lot of different approaches out there and, unless you like being the odd man out, you will tend to gravitate to what the people you dive with do. So pay attention to how the people around you have rigged their gear, ask questions, find a shop which tends to do the kind of diving you are interested in and hang out. Get to know the staff and the other serious customers.

One thing you might want to consider is going professional. Work towards being an instructor. This will give you a lot of time in the water to really understand your equipment, make some money to support your habit, give you the opportunity to make some deals in terms of additional training and probably provide a very nice discount on gear.

I'm jealous about Catalina. I got my open water cert there but haven't been since the mid 70's.

I've read the articles on tec diving philosophies - Hogarthian, DIR, etc. If I were to get into tec diving someday I can definitely see the value. But what about the rec divers?
There is so much more than gear relating to the "diving philosophies" of "tech vs. rec" diving.

Several years ago, Dive Training magazine ran an article about "What the Recreational Diver Can Learn From the Tech Diver." You can read a copy of it here.

The recreational diver can learn a LOT from "the technical diver" that makes "recreational diving" so much better.

I think it's wonderful that you are spending the time to clean up your rig and make it more efficient. Wouldn't it be nice if you had a gear setup that didn't require all that futzing to make it streamlined and clean? If you had a place to put everything, where it was stowed neatly and immediately accessible when needed?

One of the things about technical divers is that they have spent a great deal of time, as a community, figuring out what works and what doesn't. When you are very deep, or way back in a cave, is not the time to discover that you have to fumble for safety equipment, or that you are caught on something. The fact that the vast majority of technical divers have evolved toward a common gear configuration says something . . . And there is nothing about that configuration that is not applicable to simple, recreational diving.

If you are diving in Monterey, take advantage of the opportunity to hook up with the DIR divers there, and take a look, both at the equipment setup they are using and at the procedures they follow. The system works EXTREMELY well for recreational diving (which is all I did with it for almost three years, and the majority of what I do with it today).

The problem with having a prescription for streamlining and gear storage, as you mentioned, is that in the wider diving world, the variety of gear is so great that you really can't come up with too many recommendations that will work across the board.

I consider myself a "techreational" diver, I don't do any decompression or cave diving but I wear the gear a lot :wink:. Really I am happy with my limited understanding of technical diving, and while I certainly look forward to progressing in the future I don't mind staying where I'm at for a while until I have a need to go further.

Having said that, the foundation my training has given me allows me a lot of opportunities that some of my "recreational" dive buddies aren't necessarily ready for, like 2-hour shore dives where we traveled almost a mile round-trip to reach a site normally only fully enjoyed from a boat. I also feel a lot more confident in the water because of the greater control I have now vs a year ago when I was still starting out. In short, by sticking my toes into the technical diving realm I'm having more fun because I just feel better about my diving.

I'll end with a quick anecdote: a big focus of my training was put on dive planning. For my first dive at one of the more advanced sites around here, my buddy (who was actually very experienced at this site) gave me a brief overview of the dive. On the spot I calculated my gas needs and determined that I, in fact, had brought plenty of gas to do the dive. I couldn't have done that a year or so ago, and thus I probably wouldn't have felt as good about the dive if I didn't know for sure whether I could or could not make the dive.

Peace,
Greg

Hey Dack - Here's my perspective as a rec-only diver: Before worrying about dive "philosophies", I would first ask myself, "Exactly what kind of recreational diving do I plan to spend most of my time doing?"

There are so many different kinds of rec divers and they all end up with different kinds of gear & rigs. So your needs change depending on whether you're spearhunting, lobstering, diving non-tech wrecks, primarily reefs, primarily freshwater, resort diving, photography, videography, etc. Personally, for example, focussing primarily on reefs and reef photography, I find myself with needs more similar to a spearo than a cave diver - that is, doing a lot of work solo and concentrating mostly on the wildlife, not so much worried about a "team" of divers.

Sure, there are common basics, and I'm not saying the techies can't teach a few tips. But hardcore techies have their own needs and agendas that don't always match up with those with a more recreational mindset, so consider your own dive philosophy before adopting someone else's.

Fritz wrote
concentrating mostly on the wildlife, not so much worried about a "team" of divers
As a photographer, I can guarantee you that you just have never understood the benefit of a team that is focused on photography. Being THE shooter in a team that is focused on getting the shot is MUCH better than diving solo and shooting.

You just don't have any idea what you have missed and are missing.

You just don't have any idea what you have missed and are missing.

Maybe. But it would bother me to think that other divers are worrying about me and my shot rather than minding their own business and doing their own thing. Also, there are a lot of solo divers here who would say you don't know what you're missing unless and until you dive solo. For me, once I did that, I never wanted to go back to a buddy, much less any kind of team, so we're moving in opposite directions here.

To each their own. We all get different things out of diving, I'm just saying that's what should be paramount, not "philosophy".

Outstanding feedback all! I started reading the GUE information and that really resonated with me. The equipment recommendations are exactly in line with what I've already been doing, and answer a lot of the questions I had.

Seems like I'm off to a good start, I've put my $$$ into a quality reg and a back inflating BC. Those should hold me for a few years once I get it setup the way I like it.

I'm planning to continue education, and I had considered going the instructor route once I'm able to give it more of a time commitment - say, once my kids are old enough to get certified. :)

Thanks all!

- Dack

Outstanding feedback all! I started reading the GUE information and that really resonated with me. The equipment recommendations are exactly in line with what I've already been doing, and answer a lot of the questions I had.

Seems like I'm off to a good start, I've put my $$$ into a quality reg and a back inflating BC. Those should hold me for a few years once I get it setup the way I like it.

I'm planning to continue education, and I had considered going the instructor route once I'm able to give it more of a time commitment - say, once my kids are old enough to get certified. :)

Thanks all!

- Dack

I'll tell you that few things matched the moments when I handed my grandkids there c-cards.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom